2017 log

Realtalk

Hey guys I am going to start this training journal back up. I have finished up with the powerlifting. To be honest I'm just bored with it. I tried to force myself to want to do it again by entering a comp but I just can't be arsed with the process and all the bullshit. The powerlifting community is becoming just like the bodybuilding community was when I finished that. So it's a good time for me to walk away. Since I last logged my training I havnt done a lot of training been in and out of gym mode. Not really too motivated and not really too bothered by that either. Right now I'm about 100kg. I joined the local crossfit gym a week ago and I am really enjoying it. It just offers a new challenge with new things to learn. I have some goals and aspirations to compete and be competitive at some level. But for now the aim is to get fitter more mobile and learn the myriad of skills and movements. So I'm going to log all my training in here like I have done previously and let the progress begin.

29/10

STRENGTH

HB squat

160x5x5

strict bb press

80x5x5

CONDITIONING

30xC&J @ 61

1.6km run

10xrope climb

1.6km run

100 burpees

36min.

Pretty unfit but it's just a process.

30/10

CONDITIONING

15x C&J @60kg

800m run

20x pull ups

20x KB press @24kg

12x C&J @70kg

800m run

20x pull ups

20x ring dips

9x C&J @80kg

800m run

20x pull ups

20x KB press @24kg

5x C&J @90kg

I didn't finish the workout in the 40min time cap. I scaled some of the movements down to things I could do. for example the standing kb press replaced hspu and the ring dips replaced the bar muscle ups. good blow out.

I'm enjoying it bro. That is all that really matters. 

31/10

i trained twice today 

session 1 

shoulder mobility

oh squat 40x5x5

deadlift 200x5x5

session 2

thruster to a 3rm - 100kg. Probably could have done more but no point if form will go out the window. Needs to get the elbows up in the front squat. Then the weight on the bar can be much heavier.

Wod:

30xburpees

25x front squat @ 50kg

25x front rack lunges @50kg

20x ttb

300m row

30xburpees

was an 18min cut off. Wod was meant to be 2 rounds, I did the first round and the burpees of the 2nd round. Too unfit to go faster. It's all money in the bank. I'm doing everything light to the weakest part of the technique. So the the front squat it's my wrist and getting bar into the front rack position. If I just put the bar across the front of shoulders and crossed arms I could probably do 120kg for 25. But there is nothing to prove in the long run will be much more beneficial.

rest day tmw might do something like a walk up mount or a swim I dunno see what I feel like.

first comp on 25th November. Straight in there!

It's just the most functional way to hold the bar bro. So the front squat is one part of lots of movements meaning you need to transition the bar from a front squat to whatever for example an overhead press then back down again and repeat. Those are called barbell thrusters. Different types of barbell cleans require that position to catch the bar in a strong position.

Crossfit aside, if you can get into that front squat position then it's a much tighter position than folding your arms at shoulder height. So it's a beneficial thing for almost everyone who front squats.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/11/2017 at 9:02 PM, Realtalk said:

It's just the most functional way to hold the bar bro.

Yeah, I can see that it would be a good position to later incorporate into other movements. But having it tried it (admittedly ages ago) I found my wrists just aren't anywhere near flexible enough to do this. Is this the problem you're having too?

How's your comp prep going?

1 hour ago, Pseudonym said:

Yeah, I can see that it would be a good position to later incorporate into other movements. But having it tried it (admittedly ages ago) I found my wrists just aren't anywhere near flexible enough to do this. Is this the problem you're having too?

How's your comp prep going?

Im not preparing for any comp bro. I had joined gpc and entered the push pull. But not doing anymore got a Xmas party to go to that day so doing that.

Anyway... i'm just gonna do weekly updates in here until I have something to log for i.e a comp. Weekly is just is a better read especially since I'm pretty new to this now so will hopefully be able to fill a post with good content 1xpw as opposed to every day rambling and super short posts.

so I started a 3 day pw strength program that I got off wookie a while back it's a really good template and means I can do wods 4xweek if I'm training everyday and then has a deloaf every 4 weeks. I think the deload is going to be really important with the lifting and then the crossfit too. I don't think people who do crossfit realise quite how much volume they are doing each week I think that's where the injuries are happening rather than the movements themselves. Something to observe as time passes in the gym with myself and others. So anyway I started it on Friday deadlift went to 270x1 then 210x8. Felt real good considering I havnt deadlifted more than 200 kg in like 6 months. 300 again by end of the year!

1 hour ago, Pseudonym said:

I am having that problem bro but it's actually the lats that are the problem not the wrists. So if you can increase mobility there then you can get your elbows higher. If your elbows are higher then your wrists won't have to hyperextend to get into that position. Resulting in no wrist pain.

heaps of stuff you can do with barbells and bands to target that area to improve flexibility.

That makes sense, and it's true my lats ARE too tight (I discovered this struggling with overhead drills while scuba diving).

But it's not the hyperextension that hurts my wrists, it's the rotation needed - I can't pronate them far enough round to be comfortable gripping a straight bar. So yeah, more flexibility work is required. Or maybe I could just front squat with an EZ bar... :-p 

• 1 month later...

I did 290 last week when I retested after the 5 week block.  Got an easy 250 squat in sleeves and I'm doing ohp movements now. Moved away from benching but doing it occasionally as an assistance lift to my ohp day. Just focusing on the gymnastics and fitness now though. Whether you deadlift 260 or 300 won't really make a difference to crossfit. Most things will be a small enough % of that, that a bigger max really won't add any benefit. 

Have been running my trainings as below I think this format will work best for me but my weaknesses are different to everyone else's, fitness comes quick but gymnastics and oly lifting takes lots of practise so I think putting more time into them is more valuable. My sessions are running for a good 2 hours most days. With mobility stuff done at home when I have spare time.

Monday: lifting (snatch) ,gymnastics, strength (DL)

(example day - Snatch, Snatch pulls, Snatch balance etc, then a deadlift variation and some assistance so strict pull ups and rows or something, then big emom of gymnastics to finish)

Tuesday: long conditioning / aerobic work 

Wednesday: lifting (cleans) / gymnastics / strength (squat)

Thursday: rest 

Friday: lifting (jerks)  / gymnastics / strength (ohp)

Saturday: Crossfit 

Sunday: rest 

I also think I perform and feel a lot better with 2 rest days, if I train 6 days in a row I feel fucked and can’t get good intensity. The gymnastics I add other skills in there and make a wod out of them like an emom type thing. 

Im thinking of expanding my split out to a ten day cycle rather than a 7 day as listed above. Maybe compressing the 3 strength sessions into 2 and allowing for a bit more fitness and skill work. At least until I master more of the skill/movements.

as I get better I will update more.