Newbie On The Block

BringOnTheGains

Hey Guys 

Just wanted to introduce myself and get advice from you all so here is a little backtory....

I used to do alot of long distance running and cycling. But I found my love for lifting and at the end of 2012. At the time I went from 63 kilos to 66 whilst keeping skinny and kept at that weight untill around april last year, when myself and a mate decided to train towards the Dunedin Nabba comp 2014. From there I increased my food intake plus a change in training type. This showed a jump in weight from 68 to 77 kilos in 7 months. 

Recently I have had to have a break for 2 months to work 8 hours a day 7 days a week, so I could afford to spend another year at university, so I lost 3.5 kilos and a hell of alot of strength, like %30 percent of bench ect. (most gutting day at the gym this year when I found that out haha) 

My training style is a mix of drop sets, pyramiding, slow reps and 12x3. I try to mix it up so workouts dont become repetitive. I train one major muscle group a day, so one day could be legs the next back and biceps the next chest and triceps ect.

Height: approx 173cm Tall

Weight: 75.3Kg

Body fat% estimated to be between 14 and 17%

Current goal is to get to 84kg at the same bf% as I am now before I start to cut.

Just to clarify also I am currently bulking and are planning to untill around june the 20th. That gives me 12 weeks to cut for the show.

Any help in towards ideas on training and critiquing is welcome and appreciated.

Also sorry for the spelling mistakes and gramatical errors, writing is not my strong point.

Attatched is a photo from today (19/01/2014) and a photo from around Nov of 2012.

post-10779-14190332835777_thumb.JPG

post-10779-1419033283587_thumb.jpg

Welcome to Gymnation, bro.

That seems like a pretty good goal you've got. You were pretty damn lean in the before pics, so to be 84kg at that BF%, you'll be a decent size for sure. Looks like you hit the genetic jackpot in the ab department too - you have an 8-pack under there!

Which gym in Dunedin do you train at?A few things I should mention is when do you start to cut you will have your days with lots of engery and some days and not so much engergy.Also I not to go overbord for cardio you will losse lots of muscle mass  that way which will make you look small on stage which is not a good thing.

Haha cheers Pseudonym. Yeah thats what I hope to brign back the 8 pack after my cuts done later on in the year that would be cool *dirol* I hope my fast mass gaining doesnt taper off too fast so I can get too my goal of 84Kg.

Thanks Gymrat will do I have heard some horror stories of people losing all of their hard earned muscle by trying to cut too fast and fasting way too much. So I have left myself three months to drop down bf%. I train at Les Mills.

I use to have a long distance running back ground also then moved into the 800, 400 metre events later in my teens. Had similar bodyweight as you when I started a few years back. 

Just eat a lot of quality food, and a lot of compound lifting and you will grow like a weed. I personally would not compete this year if I was you. Spend more time building your physique. Are you think of competing in the athletic class? 

Also I would not do the "bro-split" of one muscle group a day, frequency is what will bring grow. I try train back, chest, and legs twice a week. Maybe try something like this: 

Day 1 - Back & Biceps

Day 2 - Chest & Triceps

Day 3 - Legs

Day 4 - Rest

Day 5 - Squats & Bench

Day 6 - Deadlifts, Rows and Shoulders

Day 7 - Rest

Or you could do the Push, Pull, Legs appoarch. 

Cheers guys the support.

Yeah I know that competing this year is a slight waste of time and I should bulk for a while longer and see how far it gets me from there. But me and a mate set our eyes on this years Nabba competition in Dunedin after seeing last years one. Its our goal, so even if we arent huge we are going to get onto that stage as BIG and as conditioned as possible.

Yeah I have been keeping some personal photos of change and I will start taking more when I get closer to the comp date. But I dont have too much time to keep a journal, so after my comp this year I promise I will do a full log and before during and after photos. For everyone who is interested.

We are unsure about that at the moment both me and my mate still just qualify for the Teenager catagory on stage. But my other option is the athletic class? Whats your guys thoughts on that, is it better to go as teenage catagory or in the athletic?

Im liking that program. I feel that my legs are lacking, mainly because I do not enjoy working them out much. I dont want chicken legs on stage or undefined legs so I might have to add the bench and squat day. Cheers jimmybro

Cheers guys the support.

Yeah I know that competing this year is a slight waste of time and I should bulk for a while longer and see how far it gets me from there. But me and a mate set our eyes on this years Nabba competition in Dunedin after seeing last years one. Its our goal, so even if we arent huge we are going to get onto that stage as BIG and as conditioned as possible.

Yeah I have been keeping some personal photos of change and I will start taking more when I get closer to the comp date. But I dont have too much time to keep a journal, so after my comp this year I promise I will do a full log and before during and after photos. For everyone who is interested.

We are unsure about that at the moment both me and my mate still just qualify for the Teenager catagory on stage. But my other option is the athletic class? Whats your guys thoughts on that, is it better to go as teenage catagory or in the athletic?

Im liking that program. I feel that my legs are lacking, mainly because I do not enjoy working them out much. I dont want chicken legs on stage or undefined legs so I might have to add the bench and squat day. Cheers jimmybro

legs need and deserve their own day.

if you dont want small legs then, learn to enjoy training them and hit those fuckers hard - they can take a lot of punishment and imo need some decent volume to yield growth.

yah i think you done well to dedicate yourself to getting on stage at your age it can only get better from there anyway. i remember reading couple other peoples logs here (i think loochi was one?) who started similarly by hopping on stage early with mates and building up good experience with posing/contest prep

Just class your first year of competing by learning what work  and what dose not work also I would ask the headjudge  for some feed back  after the show.Which will give a idea on what areas that you need to work on during the offseason.When you spend sometime by going over the photos and watching the DVD from your show.I would  also not recamind start carbing up to on the week up the show.Which I learnt it dose not work for us Kiwis it only works well for guys like Phil Heath Kai Greene,Dennis Wolf etc. Plus it makes you look flat on stage,the best option is start carbing up when your three days out from the show.If you do see me at Les Mills just look a dude wearing a Eat me Supplements hat.