Wellington Gyms

Jayjayz

Hi there,

I dunno if this is a good forum for this but I'm looking for somewhere to start going and figured y'all might be able to help me out.

I'm a student (22), never stepped foot in a gym in my life or even exercised since intermediate school to be honest, so that makes me about as much of a novice as you can possibly get. I'm not morbidly obese or anything, usually hovering just below 60kg at around 175cmish tall, and would guess myself to be somewhere in the range of 20% BF comparing my stomach/chest to the descriptions I found on this website (http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/) and the picture attached to this post from there. Considering my diet is utter rubbish I guess that's just the metabolism keeping me relatively normal although excluding the little tummy I seem to have gained over the last year and my thighs (ugh) I'm a pretty scrawny looking guy heh.

Still there's no doubt that I'm super unfit so I figure heading into the new year is a good time to start working on that eh.

I'm not looking to become an insane-looking body builder or anything like that but if I could choose an ideal body to work towards it would probably be somewhere between the 10-12% and 15%s that are in the attached picture if that helps.

So from those of you who have been around the gym block a few times, where would you recommend I look? From a cost perspective Jetts seems to offer the best deals (about $11/week) although City Fitness seems reasonable as well (about $15/week from what I've managed to dig up so far) Les Milles seems way too expensive for my blood and I havent really heard much about anything else on offer.

I really don't know the first thing about gyms, or even the etiquette for them, let alone what I need to be doing so any advice you guys have at all really would be awesome.

Thanks!

Jay

post-10709-14190332847194_thumb.jpg

Depends on where you're living/ where you want to train - a gym that's hard to get to won't encourage you to keep regular... 

Les Miserables does tend to be over-priced, even buying a membership off Trade-Me (take over someone else's contract can be cheaper than a new one). 

CityFitness has a range of venues, their prices are mid-range, and they don't charge extra for some of the Group Fitness classes. 

Exodus (a single-venue gym up at the Top of Tory Street) has good facilities but isn't cheap.

Powerhouse opposite Wellington College in Taranaki Street is a hard-core gym, no mirrors, no shiny dumbbells, but some of the nicest folk you could hope to meet, and a no-BS atmosphere. 

Either Jetts or CityFitness would help you develop a basic programme, but for a starter you could do worse than find a copy of Body For Life and give it a read - it tends to lay out the basics in a sensible fashion.. don't, whatever you do, drop $15 on a copy of Muscle-n-Fitness or Mens' Health and expect to drop straight into one of their programmes, chances are it'll just not work. 

Oh, and check out the resources tab at the top right for material too.

Good luck :)

Should check out Snap Fitness Welington too, 24 hour gym and it has no contracts too so you aren't tied into anything. 

It also depends who you have helping you out as well. The gym can be fun if you find supportive staff members or trainers to help you out and interact with you but some gyms can feel cold and lonesome :'( so go and look round a gym and see how it feels and how they treat you!