Zeagold egg whites

Pseudonym

This story begins long, long ago when I first started bodybuilding...

Zeagold was (and is) an egg products wholesaler - one of their main products was producing egg yolks on an industrial scale, which were used by companies like Top Top to make ice cream and sauces and things. There was much less demand for egg whites, and these were almost regarded as a waste product. However, they'd keep some bottled and freeze them for bodybuilders who would turn up on the factory doorstep. They were pretty cheap too - great for those of us on a budget.

But one day some entrepreneur came along and bought the retail distribution rights. Suddenly Zeagold was no longer able to sell direct to bodybuilders. Ordering them became a bit of a hassle. Worse - the price doubled overnight.

In the end, I found it just wasn't worth buying egg whites any more. I just bought whole eggs and separated them, even though throwing the yolks away seemed terribly wasteful. (See my guilty confessions here)

That's the backstory. For years I've been separating egg yolks, bitter in the knowledge that I was only doing so because a great bodybuilding food source had been taken away from us.

So imagine my delight when, walking through the chilled foods section of the supermarket (yes, the supermarket - how convenient is that?!) I spied Zealgold Egg Whites sitting on the shelf. It seems Zeagold have taken back the distribution rights.

*yahoo*

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3605/wqjo.jpg

And at $7 a litre (equivalent of 30 eggs), they're pretty much the same price as a tray of eggs - you can't say fairer than that.

This product is amazing. Life-changing, even. From now on, I'll only crack whole eggs when I want whole eggs. No more separating eggs for me!

This story begins long, long ago when I first started bodybuilding...

Zeagold was (and is) an egg products wholesaler - one of their main products was producing egg yolks on an industrial scale, which were used by companies like Top Top to make ice cream and sauces and things. There was much less demand for egg whites, and these were almost regarded as a waste product. However, they'd keep some bottled and freeze them for bodybuilders who would turn up on the factory doorstep. They were pretty cheap too - great for those of us on a budget.

But one day some entrepreneur came along and bought the retail distribution rights. Suddenly Zeagold was no longer able to sell direct to bodybuilders. Ordering them became a bit of a hassle. Worse - the price doubled overnight.

In the end, I found it just wasn't worth buying egg whites any more. I just bought whole eggs and separated them, even though throwing the yolks away seemed terribly wasteful. (See my guilty confessions here)

That's the backstory. For years I've been separating egg yolks, bitter in the knowledge that I was only doing so because a great bodybuilding food source had been taken away from us.

So imagine my delight when, walking through the chilled foods section of the supermarket (yes, the supermarket - how convenient is that?!) I spied Zealgold Egg Whites sitting on the shelf. It seems Zeagold have taken back the distribution rights.

Yahoo

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3605/wqjo.jpg

And at $7 a litre (equivalent of 30 eggs), they're pretty much the same price as a tray of eggs - you can't say fairer than that.

This product is amazing. Life-changing, even. From now on, I'll only crack whole eggs when I want whole eggs. No more separating eggs for me!

These are my go to food while cutting :) What was even better is that my Friend had a year sponsorship from Zeagold and wouldn't take advtange of using these while bulking up so he gave me quite a few free bags :)

When I was cutting for the Pans I notice that it took me a while to make breakfast since I had spend a fair bit of time sperating the yolk from the egg white from time to time I had fish out the yolk from the egg whites which was a pain in ass to do.I will have to keep a eye out for Zeagold egg whites ie in countdown Dunedin CBD or Center city new world including gardens New World as well.Also felt gulity at times by wast the yolk plus I had to be extra carefull when the bowl was full of yolks by taking small steps from the fridge to loo by dumping the yolks down the loo.I will have to look into that to see if they can sponsor me for next years Pan's since I am looking to get more sponsors on board for 2014.

might have to give it a try some time see what all the fuss is about

read that old thread you linked, couldn't help laughing at one of the responses lol

-> op complains about ethical problems throwing out egg yolks

-> someone response with "i like to boil them and feed to the birds they love it"

Spotted them in my local countdown just before Xmas last year and been buying them every week since. Great for protein pancakes or adding in to protein shakes etc. hell there are so many uses.

Can be a bit hard to find in some stores but usually near the cold soups and fresh juices.

Yeah we've had them here. 

I didn't like the Protein shake flavour we had at home recently so just mixed up the whites with skim milk and that avalanche sugar free strawberry milk powder. Was a good substitute! Mixed surprisingly well not gloopy or anything and couldn't taste them at all with the milk and artifical sweetner goodness :) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry to say but Countdown wont be selling them anymore. For the past couple weeks I have been making trip to every single countdown I could find in Canterbury, only found 2 in the Christchurch one and those were the last 2. Yesterday I went to Rangiora Countdown and they told me Countdown wont be selling them anymore because apparently the product didnt sell good. So yeah.. the ones you can find are the last ones they have in stock, might wanna buy it all and we good for a little while haha

What?! Nooooooooo! :'(

My local Countdown is right beside Les Mills, so hopefully (oh, please, God!) they'll have had enough gym members buying them to make it worthwhile keeping in stock there.

Maybe we need to let Countdown know how much we love Zeagold egg whites...
http://www.countdown.co.nz/customer-service/customer-feedback

Copy-and-paste the following, and complete the middle sentence yourself:

Dear Countdown,

In a recent topic on a NZ gym forum (http://www.gymnation.co.nz/forum/diet-nutrition/supplement-reviews/zeagold-egg-whites) we've been discussing Zeagold egg whites, and how good they are.

I'm a big fan of Zeagold egg whites... they [insert the reason you love Zeagolds here]

So I was alarmed to hear Countdown may not be selling them any more. Please say this isn't so!

Regards,
[Your name]

My reason: "I'm a big fan of Zeagold egg whites... they have totally changed my egg consumption, and my life."

I've sent mine. Do your part, and save our egg whites from extinction. :D

wont it just be based on the sales figures and the production (and other) costs though? just because a small group of people love them doesnt make it a financially viable product.

i bought a couple packets and seemed like a good product. guess theres no harm in trying to get them to not discontinue it, although if theyve already stopped producing it its probably too late.

I asked at my local countdown a few months ago, they said they used to stock them but were lucky if they sold one a week, and had to return the rest..so werent interested in stocking them again. This probably changes store to store depending on how many they are selling rather then countdown as a whole..