Keen to learn/Love to lift!!!!

ChchWahine

Hey,

so I am REALLY KEEN TO POWERLIFT, I have been on the weight loss path for quite a while now going on 2 years. Trying to get down to healthier weight. I am 171cms and weigh 138kgs. So I am a big girl, but I'm not a blubber ball. I still have along way to go but have thought why not use my weight to my advantage. I'm stronger than your average woman/man (sometimes) and I love to lift. But my problem is as soon as I tell people my weight they automatically assume  I'm unable to push myself maybe? And arent to keen to train me. Probably a health issue as well I understand that.

I know that being overweight is unhealthy etc, but it is something that Im quite passionate about. I have trained hard in the past from waka ama worlds training, rugby, boxing, and army fitness training and it helps that I am also a concrete placer. So I have no problems with being pushed hard, please if someone can train me or with me just to get me started that would be much appreciated.

Sorry about the life story lol :)

Hey,

so I am REALLY KEEN TO POWERLIFT, I have been on the weight loss path for quite a while now going on 2 years. Trying to get down to healthier weight. I am 171cms and weigh 138kgs. So I am a big girl, but I'm not a blubber ball. I still have along way to go but have thought why not use my weight to my advantage. I'm stronger than your average woman/man (sometimes) and I love to lift. But my problem is as soon as I tell people my weight they automatically assume  I'm unable to push myself maybe? And arent to keen to train me. Probably a health issue as well I understand that.

I know that being overweight is unhealthy etc, but it is something that Im quite passionate about. I have trained hard in the past from waka ama worlds training, rugby, boxing, and army fitness training and it helps that I am also a concrete placer. So I have no problems with being pushed hard, please if someone can train me or with me just to get me started that would be much appreciated.

Sorry about the life story lol Smile

Welcome - Dont worry, your ideas sound awesome to me! What kind of people/trainers have you approached? because a lot of trainers might shy away from powerlifting because they actually don't really have much idea about how to coach it or squat or deadlift - or know about whats involved in powerlifting. I'm not sure about chch but maybe someone here could recommend a gym or trainer who could help you out with powerlifting? 

I think weight lifting is a great way to improve your body and lose the kgs! Especially if you are strong! training now to lift heavy with good form and technique for powerfliting with a trainer - whilst slowly working with good nutrition (and plenty of it!!) to improve/fuel your strength gains AND bring your weight down slowly will give you a mean head start when you come to compete (if you wanted to!)

Good luck! keep being passionate about it.

Heya,

Congratulations on a great choice.  

If you're in CHC, head along to Canterbury Sports and Performance Centre, 120 Wainoni Road - they hosted the recent NZ national Classic Powerlifting Championships, a great event, and I'm sure they can hook you up with Mike Gardiner and the folks at the Canterbury Powerlifting Association.

Dinah's right, there's a lot to be said for powerlifting:

a. it builds lean muscle, which in turn helps weight loss; but also

b. it's a sport where you're judged on what you DO, not what you look like; and

c. you can track your gains from session to session and prove you're progressing.

Have a look at http://www.3news.co.nz/Kiwi-powerlifter-wins-second-title/tabid/415/articleID/315037/Default.aspx for New Zealand's womens' WORLD Champion, Sonia Manaena, and others - and good luck