Pre-workout supplements with crossfit?

Pseudonym

Having just played around with a crossfit workout recently, and found my heartrate went through the roof, it got me wondering about pre-workout supplements. Are they used much in the crossfit world? Is it even a good idea to combine heartrate-spiking exercise with heartrate-spiking stimulants?

Or are you crossfit peeps so hardcore you don't need pre-workout supplements?!

• 2 weeks later...

4 serves of coffee around 150~200mg caffiene total. about the same as in a single serve of most off the shelf PWOs but without all the extra garbage which may or may not be on the label so a pretty decent alternative unless caffiene alone doesn't stimulate you... or coffee makes you feel like going to the toilet lol. personally i just use a 200mg caffiene capsule and a serve of raro or banana for my fake crossfit style sessions doesn't seem to bother my heart these days but rewind back few months ago when i wasn't used to the cardio style stuff i'd feel the heart thumping like crazy

Recently tried some PWO supp with 300mg caffeine and added a 200mg capsule and nothing.  Double scoop C4 Extreme + 200mg caffeine capsule was also a miss.

Possible my heart actually stopped weeks ago?

thats ridiculous man when you say nothing do you mean it didn't even affect your sleep? crazy high tolerance right there i would stop with PWOs/soft drinks/stims for a couple months and detox if i was you lol.

Detox would be the sensible thing to do; kinda reset the CNS and sensitivity to stims.  I'll give that some thought.

The day of the double C4+caff I would have gone to bed maybe three hours after training and slept fine.

I certainly wouldn't recommend a stack like that before a crossfit session!  I have to assume blood pressure is still being affected and that could get funky.

In before idiotic TV3 expose....

• 4 months later...

Old thread, but taking a PWO and doing Crossfit nearly killed me. Heart rate was way too high. Felt awesome to get the kick and motivation on tired days, but definitely something I would personally avoid. Gym lifting has rest periods. CF does not (unless you consider the running a rest).