Damm that weight gain !!

papa bear

Hello everyone,

I am a complete newby to this world of, umm, well living healthy really and I am struggling big time with trying to get the next stage of 'the new me'.

A little run down of myself, iv just turned 40 the other day, 2years ago I weighed 135kgs....today I weigh 78.3kgs, this is where im struggling, yesterday I weighed 77.1kg.

This is what I ate/did yesterday....

Breakfast...Half can of baked beans on 2 slices of gluten free toast, no butter, 2 poached eggs, black coffee

Lunch....Brown spagettii, 140g lean mince, Black coffee

(went to gym and worked on, basicly from waist up)

Arvo snack....Protien shake, Half cup basmati rice, small can of tuna, chilli flakes, White coffee

Tea...2 small baked spuds, half can baked beans

8 hours sleep.

I am doing 1 day of cardio (8-9km run) then 1 day gym. The gym is only Chest press,lat pull downs,bicept curls etc,seated row,bench press,tricept rope pull....I dont do anything with legs etc, lets just say they have been working out most of my life so Im giving them a rest at the moment.

I wanted to do this to body build but if I can Vin Deisel this body in 2-3 yrs....id be happy with that too !

So my question is......why the hell do I keep putting weight back on like that.....I know if I can put that much on in a day 12months from now,ill be stoked...but at the moment it just makes me want to diet for the rest of the week.

Please help me with this...being a gym junkie has always been a secret dream of mine & dont want to stop doing it so soon after loosing all that weight just because im determined never to be a fat bastard again

So you only go to gym 1 day a week or did I read wrong?

Are you using a programme like Start strength? Google if not and a beginner

Take photos and check progress, scales check weight not fat/muscle ratio

Never skip leg day - you will regret :)

Weight change in 1 day can be many things water/food/big dump, I check weight over a week as can fluctuate Kgs per day

Thanks Clueless....

Gym one day...cardio next day....then gym....then cardio....etc

Never heard of Start stength, will go and have a look

I think photos are a good idea. will do that today. I know getting on the scales is probally the worst thing I could do at the moment but after only just finishing loosing, in total 66kg, umm, cant explain it really, even my wife yells at me when she see's me heading towards the scales.

The reason Im not doing legs is because of the work they have been doing, really they look quite good so just wanted to get the rest of my body to catch up.

Well done for the weight loss - awesome!

not really sure what your goal is. So you say you want to have vin deisel  body etc -  You're going to to have to put on some muscle. Muscle weighs soemthing so you might have to put on some weight if your goal is goig to be to build muscle. If you want to build muscle you are probably going to have to eat more calories than you are now which may mean you put some weigt on. If this is going to freak you out then you need to reassess your goals. 

Weight can fluctuate by several kgs in a day or with one big meal or a missed cardio session easy. 

is this the diet you've been eating for a while - if it's not what were youeating  before? 

Good suggestions with the strength program, I recommend one aswell like 5x5. 

lifting big compound movements frequently is a great way to put on muscle and you aren't going to get muscles by just bicep curls - Definitely train legs. 

please clarify your goals. don't say you want to gain muscle and lose fat and not put on any weight at all because being scared of the scale means your prob not gonna get where you wanna go!  Gaining afew kgs doesn't mean you're going to be 135kgs but if this is a hard idea for you then that needs to be addressed.

So what are you prepared to change/do or not do? 

Maybe reduce the volume or frequency of leg training but I wouldn't skip it altogether. Also the weight gain may be muscle gain which would be a good thing. Has your strength increased? Might also be a good idea to get skinfolds done once a month to check progress. Pics are good too but make sure that you take them in the same lighting in the same location in the same poses or it can be an unfair comparison.

wow if you were 140kg and now in the 70s i imagine your calves are probably massive compared to biceps and stuff so understand why you wouldn't want to focus on legs but still nothing wrong with strengthening your own strengths.

your current split is also not ideal for your goals if i read it right it looks like entire upper body is getting it every 2nd day. you said you are interested in bodybuilding, strength 5x5 programs can help you build up a solid base but you might also consider doing a 4 times a week upper/lower or push/pull type routines.

Thanks everyone...

Yea my goal, umm im not 100% sure at this point but do know that I have to work that out soon. Iv always wanted to body build, now that im at a point where I can start heading towards that iv found myself unsure. I have been thinking about it since starting this post today and I wonder if the 'Vin Deisel" comment was a cheats way of getting out of body building...ok bugger it..my goal is body building !

This year iv been eating almost the same thing day in day out,

Breakfast...2 poached eggs on 1 toast

Lunch...140gm lean mince,120gm green salad

Tea...140gm lean mince, 120gm green salad

Snacks...Total of 2 large/8 small squares Salada crakers

3-4L water.

Over the last month iv been introducing carbs, new salads, fats (butter & veg oil), nuts.

I did get a program iv been doing from my gym. Not really sure it is correct but thought at this stage it is more than I know so Ill go with it. Everything I do is 4x10reps except crunch's..4x12reps. And clearly I need to be doing legs aswell ! But it sounds like I sould be doing heavier weight with less reps ?? Am I reading that right? 5 sets of 5 reps ? If that is going to show some results faster then im very down with that idea.

Im not afraid to put weight on, not at all, that is why iv come down to 75kg - so that I could put weight on back to 100+kg if need be to get the results....am just freaking out a bit at the moment. Wont get back on those bloody scales for 2 weeks nows.

Thanks again.

when they say 5x5 it's not your usual gym routine with everything in 5 sets of 5 reps (definately not a good idea) they're referring to strong lifts 5x5 or sometimes starting strength

stronglifts-routine-starting-strength-ro

Workout A for example would be monday then workout b wednesday, workout a again friday and weekend off on either of those programs. it seems like quite low volume but most people who go on it seriously along with eating right they get decent results in body composition as well as raw strength at the end of their 3 months trial with it - goes to show just how powerful of an exercise squats can be!

Yeah In my opinion if you are going to build any form of muscle you're gonna have to keep on increasing carbs and calories in general with more protein too. Do it slowly, dont go crazy all at once. That looks like a good diet for a chick wanting to lose weight imo... but a guy wanting to gain some muscle defo needs a bit more nutrition than that :) So just keep slowly increasing food every couple of weeks a small amount of carbs and protein and start changing to lower volume like what FOTR posted above... 

Thanks again.. just got back from the gym after doing 5x5 strong lift workout A. Turns out I really dont know how to do those properly, thats what utube is there for I guess but will keep it up for 3 months to get that good base strenght underway. And as I had the gym to myself I ended up getting a bit carried away doing some leg work....going to make going for a run tomorrow fun, Not !