Knee injury- help needed

nickstar

Hi all,

So I have had problems with my legs my whole life, mostly because they are so long and I've never really had a lot of muscle on them. About 8 or so years ago I tore the cartiledge in my right knee and needed surgery to repair it. My surgeon never saw me afterwards, I wasn't set up with physio or given a plan/exercises to strengthen it back up. He also caused nerve damage on the whole right side of my knee. 

Since then I have had on and off pain for years. Winter is bad as the cold freezes it up. But I have also not been able to run since then. I have been doing a lot of strength work this year to build muscles in my legs to support it. However for the past month or two I have found that after exercising (after a shower etc) and once I go back to work and sit down at my desk, I am faced with a lot of pain. After sitting for a while and then trying to stand up, it feels as though it has frozen and the pain is terrible.

I am planning on doing some research to see if there is anything I can do post workout to stop this from happening. However I wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions or tips too. I just want to know how to control it because after 8 years... I'm guessing I will have the problem for the rest of my life. I'm hoping it hasn't torn again. But for now I am focusing on building up the muscles around my knee to give it extra support. I also have over pronation in my right foot so that doesn't help either. I do wear the implants in my shoes to help this and my runners are especially made for this too.

Any help, suggestions, tips or information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys :)

Jeez, that doesn't sound good at all, Nickstar.

It's probably not the answer you want to hear, but I think you should see an expert. If you've had torn cartilage and botched surgery, I think that puts things out of our league.

Where in Auckland are you based? We can probably suggest a good physio or sports doc.

Hey guys!

Thanks for getting back to me! 

Pseudonym- Yeah it isn't looking too good. I work in Auckland CBD :)

OnlyHuman- Eek! I've done some research on patelo-femoral syndrome and it definitely sounds like it could be that. And yeah, going down stairs isn't too fun.

I've found some exercises that can help strengthen the area. But I'm guessing I should probably head to an expert to get their opinion and see what is really going on!

It is just an option but there is a student Osteopathic clinic at Unitec Mt Albert that is open to the public. Mon to Fri. Students who completing their masters work there supervised by qualified osteopaths. Reasonably priced... 

You could also go to a reputable physio and get it sorted. In the mean time I would look into foam (pvc pipe) rolling of your quads, hips, ITB, glutes, peroneals. Quad and TFL stretches. If it is indeed patelo-femoral syndrome than it is a fairly easy fix. There is no need to put up with it. 

Good luck. 

It is just an option but there is a student Osteopathic clinic at Unitec Mt Albert that is open to the public. Mon to Fri. Students who completing their masters work there supervised by qualified osteopaths. Reasonably priced... 

My sister worked there while she was training. Are you an osteo yourself, OnlyHuman?

If it is patellofemoral pain, would the HSR training help with this? I had patella tendinopathy, and found the HSR stuff performed miracles where the traditional eccentric training had failed. Or is patellofemoral pain something totally different?

http://unisports.co.nz/patient-info/knee/hsr-patella-tendon-program/

My sister worked there while she was training. Are you an osteo yourself, OnlyHuman?

If it is patellofemoral pain, would the HSR training help with this? I had patella tendinopathy, and found the HSR stuff performed miracles where the traditional eccentric training had failed. Or is patellofemoral pain something totally different?

http://unisports.co.nz/patient-info/knee/hsr-patella-tendon-program/

Yes I am *blush*

I just do a quick wright up due to being late and I just got home after work and school etc.

patelofemoral syndrome is an irritaion/inflamination of the articulating part of the patella. Usually brought on by a sudden increase of training volume (especially in the absence of a stretching regiment) things that attach to the patella pull on it excesively thus the joint surface gets irritated. Pretty easy stuff to fix with some treatment, self soft tissue, frequent stretching and transient reduction of training volume.

Patela tendinopathy is the inflamination of the tendon of patella not the articulating surface. It can be a bit harder to sort out depending on how bad it is, how long you had it what predisposed you to it, are you able to modify the predisposing factors etc a bit more copmplex but can be sorted. Self soft tissue of quads, TFL-ITB with a FIRM foam roller as well as some vastus medialis strenghtening could go a long way here. Eccentric stuff is great for tendinopathies but it would be the wrong thing for patelo-femoral syndrome. It would likely make it worse!  

Just in a few words. I hope it cleared up things, if not fire away.