Do companies "spike" their supplements?

Pseudonym

In a recent topic about fat burners, discussion turned to the subject of companies "spiking" their product with unlabelled ingredients.

ETHamphetamine has been found it the original batches of detonate, which seems to be what athletes outside of the USA keep testing postive for after using detonate (and DS craze). The fda had a spaz about Detonate a few months ago so BB.com had it tested and the new batches no longer seems to contain stimulant "X" - maybe gaspari decided they better remove whatever it was they were spiking it with. Considering Gaspari seems to have had the majority of their most popular products removed from the market due to mislabeling or "spiking" it won't seem too unusual that detonate will go the same way.

I presume these supplement companies spike the products to make them more effective than if they only contained legitimate ingredients. How common is this practice, do you think?

This is also the situation that caught out NZ cricketer Jesse Ryder earlier this year (excuse the pun). So, for those of you who are tested athletes, do you trust what's on the label?

kind of a double edged sword for the supp companies isn't it. if they keep this up much more the food authorities are gonna have to start stepping in, requiring testing and probably increasing retail pricing of everything.

for tested athletes, don't they have a federation they can go to which can give advice on whether to avoid certain supps or not?

I read an article by Scott Abel who said that this is done in the first batch of a new supplement, using pro-hormones etc or banned simulants, so that they actually make a noticable difference and then people continue buying even though they stop putting the substances in. As well that the FDA are bribed to overlook it and that he's worked for supplement companies and it had been discussed in business propositions to him etc.

Not really sure if you could prove it though or if its all conspiracy theorising trying to be "against the man" because everyone who talks about anything is selling something somewhere along the line and wants popularity/followers. 

Did anyone catch the piece on 3rd degree tonight? Basically they went into a shop and bought 3 random pre-workouts then had them tested, detonate, craze, and hardcore something can't remember the name. Detonate contained dmaa, the banned party pill ingredient, and the other 2 had ethamphetamine in them. 

Say no more. 

Not quite right there champ.

firstly, they weren't 3 random pre workouts. They were craze, detonate and nar labs xspeed which are all known for containing banned substances. They targeted them. Xspeed had the DMAA, the other two had the class c amphetamines in them.

I think the show was biased, but more to try and get their message out there. I definitely wouldn't want to take products without knowing what was really in them, but i was already aware of that - some others aren't. 

It does also raise issues with cencorship - yes we should be able to know whats in our products, but the govt isn't actually nobly "making us aware". it will just ban the products. Yes I personally would like to know if they were in them, but I have no problem with people who do know whats in them wanting to take those  substances for a pre - workout... But they wont' actually have a "choice" because they will just be banned. 

The good thing is that it will reveal to your average gym goer that they still need to THINK and LEARN for themsevles about what they are doing to their bodies and what "health" really is - without the supplement companies defining it for them, as well as defining their own stance on drugs in sport.... unfortunately it will probably just result in those types of people just going around saying "pre-workout is bad".

I do think it can reveal to the public who have used and see the benefit of these products - that "performance enhancing drugs" is more than "cheating" and that people should have the right to choice/freedom to some extent and the fact that we live in a biochemically/pharmacologically advancing society and at there are lots of questions about where to draw the line with all of this....

I think the show was biased, but more to try and get their message out there. I definitely wouldn't want to take products without knowing what was really in them, but i was already aware of that - some others aren't. 

It does also raise issues with cencorship - yes we should be able to know whats in our products, but the govt isn't actually nobly "making us aware". it will just ban the products. Yes I personally would like to know if they were in them, but I have no problem with people who do know whats in them wanting to take those  substances for a pre - workout... But they wont' actually have a "choice" because they will just be banned. 

The good thing is that it will reveal to your average gym goer that they still need to THINK and LEARN for themsevles about what they are doing to their bodies and what "health" really is - without the supplement companies defining it for them, as well as defining their own stance on drugs in sport.... unfortunately it will probably just result in those types of people just going around saying "pre-workout is bad".

I do think it can reveal to the public who have used and see the benefit of these products - that "performance enhancing drugs" is more than "cheating" and that people should have the right to choice/freedom to some extent and the fact that we live in a biochemically/pharmacologically advancing society and at there are lots of questions about where to draw the line with all of this....

Unfortunately you get a-holes that know there's banned substances in their formulas that keep selling them without telling customers - case in point this special just went live at midday today

http://www.nutritiondeal.co.nz/nar-labs-x-speed.html

Xtreme nutrition trying to clear out all their stock, no mention on the listing that if you're a tested athlete you'll test positive and fail a drugs test. Nice one.

post-87311-14166838250656_thumb.gif

I saw something on fb today someone making a comparison between these supplements being banned with no real proof of their contraindications and alcohol with it's long list of issues we are all very aware of.. it's only a valid argument if the companies that make supplements are transparent about what they are doing and what their products contain. 

The supplement industry is unregulated and supposed to self manage wtf... LOL of course they spike their products with whatever will bring people back, it's not a billion dollar industry by being scrupulous!

• 5 weeks later...

I have just posted this article on another post on the forum, but Moe Moussawi ( the owner of xtreme nutrition who was on the 3rd degree show) Also sells Profight supplements, whos owner is named Abbas Moussawi( who knows if there is any connection) he is being fined by the FDA for selling supplements which have been linked to 3 deaths overseas,he owns Profight supplements which are accused of poisoning their supplements, I dont know the background, but you think xtreme nutrition would stop selling these products until it was cleared there was nothing wrong.

F.y.i I buy most of my protein from Xtreme, and have bought quite a bit of Profight, but just to be safe in the future, i wont be anymore!

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Pro-Fight-Supplements/various-California-/Pro-Fight-Supplements-Pro-Fight-Supplements-Charged-By-FDA-for-putting-deadly-chemical-f-982425

The thing that annoyed me about the show is the reporter took two scoops of craze when the directions say assess your tolerance with half or one scoop,of course a person who doesn't use preworkouts regularly will feel like crap with a large dose.

Also the company they purchased off(I know the name I just don't want to name and shame if I don't know facts) their owner was caught importing illegal goods a few years ago,and as the above posts says,it looks like they MAY sell dodgy supplements(who knows) and on the 3rd degree show Moe said he would pull the supplements from his shelves,yet they sold them on their one day site and still had them in stores a month later(I know as I was in store) to be honest I don't blame him,he runs a business,yet don't say your gonna pull a product if your not. After all these issues I have been put off his shop,but that's just me.