Pre-workouts and Fat-burners? Advice plezz:)

kc64

Hey guys, been on a cut now for 4weeks and im wanting to to try a fat burner, pretty caffine sensitive though!. have looked on websites but rather hear someones opinion. Brought one once and It was way to much for me, literally bouncing off the walls -ended up just giving it to ma partner.

Same with Pre-work outs, looking for something that doesn't have ridiculous side affects, or is two intense but gets me going at the gym...

Let me know what ya think!!! *smile*

Hey, I'm the same - I tried some of the hard core ones and I couldnt sleep at night even if i took them in the morning!

Green tea extract is really good, makes you sweat and can really tell the difference but it didnt effect my sleep or give me the jitters - that and a coffee, if I want, is enough for me.

I have tried the horleys fatburner aswell which was okay, I'm not sure of the name - I actually went into  the supplement store and found the one lowest in caffeine and that was it. I still found the just green tea extract still better on my system, its also much cheaper than most fatburners if you get it from bodybuilding.com. 

For pre workouts, same story - all the colourings etc in things like superpump make me go nuts. I use amino acids/BCAAs for a pre workout (if i use one) - they actually give you a good boost and a pump. If I feel flat or its been a while since eating then I'll have some fast carbs as well like rice cakes and jam before a weights session. You can use the fatburners or coffee themselves as pre workout for "energy" like the pre workout products give you. 

Finally, you don't necessarily need the products at all to get results! and they only make minimal difference imo and focusing on diet and training regime will make the most difference :)  I currently don't use either of those things. 

Thanks Dinah 

will give the green tea extract ago, yeah not to fust about the fat burners just like the energy pre-work out gives me (when iv tried rapz's) always feel way more enthused and commited at the gym. Due to my total lack of experience i have no idea what BCAAs is, may have to do some research *help*

have you ever done any competing?  

I get what you mean, the pre workouts usually have caffeine in aswell so that can be part of the reason why they get you hyper about training haha. So If you want to avoid the caffeine/crash from those too then BCAAs/amino acids are a good alternative. 

BCAAs are branched chained amino acids. But i'm using it loosely for the amino acids supplements you can get at stores/online which can include a range of amino acids. They are basically protein but broken down even further than whey protein, its one component that they use in those pre-workout supplements that can help give you some of the feeling of the pre workout. Pre-workouts are just a mixture of stimulants (caffeine) and other commonly used supplemetns like creatine (gives you a "pump") or amino acids (give you some of the energy boost feeling and pump as they can include vasodialators liek arganine (get blood to the muscle/skin)). They also use ingredients that are roumered/theorised to help give you energy or boost you up like cayenne pepper etc, but ultimately the things that will be making a difference is the stimulants, amino acids,  creatine and vasodialators. 

So if you did want to avoid caffeine you could used Green tea extract as the stimulant to give you the energy and boost, as well as an amino acid supplement which taste good as well. Then You've basically got a caffeine free pre workout without all the nasty colours etc. Also a lot cheaper than your standard preworkout which costs about 100$ for a lot of food colouring + caffeine. 
(or alternatively/additionally go with some plain arginine and/or creatine which are quite cheaper for just plain bags - but dont taste so good). 

I dieted for a competeition last year but didn't end up competing. I lost 15kgs though, so hoping to get some good results again on the bodybuilding challenge since I've been at uni all year on my butt and dealing with some injuries and have gotten a bit blobby (but also gained some muscle!). 

• 4 months later...

I love pre workouts, I love the extra sweaty go go go of them. But I find it hard to find one that sticks around for long. And I always wonder about the stress I put my adrenals under with them.

Energy and sweaty wise what do you think the difference of a pre workout and a fat burner is?

I had a nutritionist who said fat burners are a waste of money and not to take them so I havet since then. But a group fitness instructor made a throwaway comment about them in a class i did recently and it got me thinkng..... 

Energy and sweaty wise what do you think the difference of a pre workout and a fat burner is?

The focus of a pre workout is on stimulating and getting you amped. The focus of a fat burner is to bump up the metabolism to burn more calories, which frequently involves stimulants but may also use thermogenics to raise your temperature.

In practise, however, there's often not much difference.

I love pre workouts, I love the extra sweaty go go go of them. But I find it hard to find one that sticks around for long. And I always wonder about the stress I put my adrenals under with them.

I had a nutritionist who said fat burners are a waste of money and not to take them so I havet since then. But a group fitness instructor made a throwaway comment about them in a class i did recently and it got me thinkng..... 

All OTC fat burners are shit, they are just stimulants at the end of the day, same thing abunch of coffee and green tea could achieve, pre workouts are good for a buzz if you need it.

the only "fat burners" that are effective IMO only "cheaters" aka enhanced bodybuilders use lol oh and obviusly patients that are prescribed the medication :) , - T3 , clenbuterol , DNP , duromine , ephedrine , albuterol to name a few.

• 1 month later...

I am also interested in finding a good fat burner, i used dotonate in the past and found that great but since its not available i have tried others but have foudn them to be a waste of money.  I wanted to get duromine as i have had this in the past and it was good to move stubborn weight but Drs down here wont prescribe it to anyone...any ideas?

is ephedrine considered cheating? I thought it was available OTC in many countries. Also Yohimbine has positive studies regarding fat loss.

http://examine.com/supplements/Yohimbine/

I think Yohimbine is banned in NZ because of its use in accordance with or in the manufacture of methamphetamine? (not sure if completely true just heard it somewhere). Not necessarily because of it being "dangerous" on its own to the public as a supplements for gym goers. 

• 5 months later...

Have you ever looked into the isagenix E+shots I only need half a bottle since Im not a caffine drinker it is all natural products and only has caffine from grean tea and yerbamate and the sugar is from natural fruits. I amps me up and I can power through a work out it also has no jitters and no big drop in energy after taking it. I amd so many of my friends are in love with these lil things :) There is also the full isagenix system that I use and it has allowed me to loose weight easily and gained tonnes more energy. I also sleep way better my skin has fully cleared up and I am far less stressed Im hooked for life!!

I refuse to buy anything from a MLM company. The product is pretty much always a scam and even if it's not the whole system is questionable. 

I could go on with my reasons why I think this, but from what I've said already someone from one of them will probably come in here try and argue with me.

#yourargumentisinvalidifyourealreadybeenbrainwashed 

Hey guys, been on a cut now for 4weeks and im wanting to to try a fat burner, pretty caffine sensitive though!. have looked on websites but rather hear someones opinion. Brought one once and It was way to much for me, literally bouncing off the walls -ended up just giving it to ma partner.

Same with Pre-work outs, looking for something that doesn't have ridiculous side affects, or is two intense but gets me going at the gym...

Let me know what ya think!!! Smile

Hi there

just following up on this thread if it is of any help I have recently tried a product called Cardio Fire and it is helping me, I do not normally use any metabolic enhances but times are tough as I am 3 weeks out from competition and I took a chance.

Personally I would think if you are trying to burn fat it would be contradictory to use a pre workout.

Used correctly Cardio Fire will help you get through workouts.

i just have coffee lol.. 

i only use mild pre workouts like amino acids with beta alanine, it gives me a good pump and has slightly better benefits to coffee, so i only use when close to a comp 

generally i prefer to not waste extra money on pre workouts because i think the ones i use consist of caffeine as the main stimulant, which you get from good old mocca  at home :P

^Nailed it br0. Coffee/caffeine pills. Rebel whats your reasoning saying pre workouts contadictory to fat loss?

Some per workouts have some form of carbs in them you have to be really careful when choosing few people get it right

coffe is a phyto estrogen and mimics the effect of estrogen so too much coffee is also not good, never touch it myself

coffe is a phyto estrogen and mimics the effect of estrogen so too much coffee is also not good, never touch it myself

This is incorrect. 

Phytoestrogens actually compete with estrogen, but they are less effective than estrogen that your body produces. So phytoestrogens should effectively give you "lower estrogen" or lower estrogen "effects" in someone with normal estrogen levels.

They are an estrogen receptor antagonist (in theory should have similar effects as nolvadex - except much weaker - which is a prescription "estrogen blocker" used by female atheltes to decrease estrogen around competeition times).

Many people in the fitness industry misunderstand this, which is an example of why I believe trainers need a strong scientific background to stop the spread of misinformation.