Gymnation Challenge 2013 - Crossfit

Pseudonym

Gymnation-Challenge-2013---header_0.jpg

Crossfit
This category is looking for the fittest athletes to perform the WOD below in the fastest possible time.

The winner of this category takes home a year’s supply of Horleys protein powder! Plus there's a runner-up prize courtesy of NZ Muscle, and just by entering you'll go in the draw to win one of 20 Fitwear vouchers worth $100.

The WOD requires 3 rounds of:

10x Pull ups
10x Push ups
10x Toes to bar
10x Barbell thrusters (you pick the weight)

You'll do 3 rounds for time. You convert the weight used for Barbell Thrusters into Wilks points using the Wilks Calculator here. Your score is then calculated by this formula, and the person with the lowest score wins...

YOUR SCORE = Time in seconds  -  (10 x Wilks points)

This means that if you select a heavier barbell, you'll be slower, but you'll have more points subtracted. Or, if you go for a lighter weight, you might be faster, but you won't drop so many points. Which will it be? Oooh, strategy!

:D

How to enter this category:

• You will need a partner to help you film this.
  • You must post a video containing the following:
    • A full body shot of you standing on a set of scales. You need to either a) hold a sign with “GYMNATION, {your username}, {current date}” clearly written on it, or b) say the details verbally. The camera must then move to a closeup on the scales so we can clearly see your body weight. This must all be one continuous shot.
    • A single, continuous shot of the entire WOD.
  • It is your partner’s responsibility to ensure that you perform the required number of reps to the required standard, and that everything is captured on video:
    • Prior to starting the WOD, you must clearly show the amount of weight on the barbell. This must be in the same continuous shot as your WOD.
    • The WOD begins with you standing in front of the pull up bar. Your partner will count down “Three, two, one, GO!” – and from this point on you are racing the clock.
    • Pull ups may be performed with kipping, but must be palms-out, and your chin must be above the bar. Your partner should be filming from a position that allows us to see this.
    • Pushups must be from lying completely flat, chest touching the floor, to pushing up with arms fully extended. Your partner needs to film from a low enough angle that we can see this.
    • Toes to bar requires hanging from the pullup bar and touching your toes to the bar. Again, this needs to be clearly visible on the video so we can verify each rep.
    • Barbell thrusters must go from a full-depth squat below parallel (hips are below knees), to a full lockout at the top. The camera needs to be side-on to you to film this.
  • If you cheat a rep, or your partner hasn’t caught it clearly on camera, he/she must call “No rep!” and you’ll need to do that rep again.
  • Upload your video on Youtube, Vimeo, and post a link it to on this page.
  • When you post your video here, you must also include:
    • Your body weight
    • The time you took to complete all three rounds
    • The weight of your barbell, and its conversion to Wilks points, as per this calculator:
      http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/fileadmin/data/wilkscalc.htm
    • Your total score, calculated with this formula:
      YOUR SCORE = Time in seconds  -  (10 x Wilks points)
  • You may post as many attempts as you like throughout the competition, and the earlier you post them, the more time you have to get advice from people and make improvements. (Also the more time you have to correct in case you don’t meet all the rules.)
  • You must have posted your video set by 10pm, Sunday 1st December. The winner will be the contestant with the lowest score.
  • Please read the Gymnation Summer Challenge general rules as well.

Well, I gave this a shot this afternoon. The good news is, it's doable.

My initial goal was to do it in under 10 mins. After the first round, I revised that to under 15 mins. So I was reasonably happy when I finished in 14 minutes 42 seconds.

I was using 40kg for barbell thrusters (20kg bar, plus 10kg either side). My current weight is 89kg, so according to the Wilks calculator above, that gives me 25.684 Wilks points.

SCORE = Time in seconds  -  (10 x Wilks points)

My score = 882 seconds - (10 x 25.684) = 625.16

I guess that leaves me plenty of room to improve. So there you go, crossfitters... beat that!

Well, I gave this a shot this afternoon. The good news is, it's doable.

My initial goal was to do it in under 10 mins. After the first round, I revised that to under 15 mins. So I was reasonably happy when I finished in 14 minutes 42 seconds.

I was using 40kg for barbell thrusters (20kg bar, plus 10kg either side). My current weight is 89kg, so according to the Wilks calculator above, that gives me 25.684 Wilks points.

SCORE = Time in seconds  -  (10 x Wilks points)

My score = 882 seconds - (10 x 25.684) = 625.16

I guess that leaves me plenty of room to improve. So there you go, crossfitters... beat that!

Wheres the video Pseudonym? 

What are barbell thrusters? 

I just wanted to see if I could do it, Jimmybro. But sadly, as the competition organiser, I won't be entering. All that protein will just have to go to someone else.

Here's a demo on barbell thrusters:

Wolffenbuttel - it's hard, but yeah it was a lot of fun. I reckon for an advanced athlete (ie, not me!) it might even be possible to acheive a negative score. I'm looking forward to seeing it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

lol are people holding out for stealth entries here or is pseudo the only one in the running to win? i think i might try put an entry in just because

edit. pseu can you put up a vid of what is acceptable form for toe to bar? my flexibility is way off so it looks real awkward when i do it *wacko*

As long as the video shows your toes touching the bar on every rep, it doesn't matter how they get there. You can swing your feet, curl your back, whatever. You just have to go all the way down, all the way up.

Get in there, Ron! At this point, you're a guaranteed winner!

thanks for that if swinging is allowed i think i can manage that.. then again i don't think they have a bar like that at my gym lol

only concern now is finding someone who would want to do something so boring as film me for 15 mins or however long it is and looking like a dick at wolfs attemping this *ROFL*

• 2 weeks later...

Crossfit too hard for my liking, feeling pumped afterwards. Not sure can do much more tonight now.

Have a couple of practise sessions before you start recording. It's harder than it looks!

Practise sessions, will just do once lol. Crossfit too hard for my liking, feeling pumped afterwards. Not sure can do much more tonight now may do some more military presses.

Uploading vid now havent watched it yet form should be all good

Some hip thrusters may be dubious never done before lol. Not doing it again.

weight 76.1

wilks 31.7

time. 728 seconds about 12 minutes

SCORE = 728  -  (10 x 31.7)

Score 411

nice home gym Clueless looks like a cool space to work out and good job that is definately harder than it looks. only legit looking entry so far you've got it won but i'll be on your tial soon enough! *crazy*

my biggest problem atm is depth on the thrusters would it be allowed to do them while standing with heels on weight plates just to help get the proper depth? or is that considered illegal assistance?

Okay, here is my attempt

http://vimeo.com/79385519

(recorded it with my digital camera and the file size was way too big upload, so I got a free converter which put some annoying text in the centre of the video.... apologies)

Started off good, but got slower in the later sets. Was pretty tough to be honest.

bodyweight 88.4kg

48kg thrusters

wilks 30.93

time 508 seconds (8min 28sec)

SCORE = 508 - 10 x 30.9 = 199

Hi guys,

First post.  I'm Matt and train at Functional Strength in Auckland.

This WOD was a ripper, much harder than I was expecting.

Anyway, my time was 5:42 and I had 50kg on the bar.  I weigh 81kg so score of 3.3

Might have another lash later in the week and try for a negative score

Cheers

Dunno what going on with the vid but direct link is here

&feature=youtu.be

T.Rex wrote:

Hi guys,

First post.  I'm Matt and train at Functional Strength in Auckland.

This WOD was a ripper, much harder than I was expecting.

Anyway, my time was 5:42 and I had 50kg on the bar.  I weigh 81kg so score of 3.3

Might have another lash later in the week and try for a negative score

Cheers

Dunno what going on with the vid but direct link is here

Hi Matt. Damn, you know how to make an entrance. That is awesome! :D

But to be just 3.3 seconds away from a negative score - that's gotta be frustrating. I know some of the guys from other boxes have been talking about getting into the negatives too, so expect some competition.

Anyone else from your box planning on giving this a crack? Or have they all seen how hard it is now? (I've gotta say... I was delighted to see you collapse at the end!)

Hey, I’m Aaron aka Ox from CrossFit NZ (in Auckland).

Coach told me about this comp, so thought I’d give it a crack.

Hopefully you accept butterfly kipping pull-ups. Bit disappointed that I lost my rhythm in the 3rd round, might give it another go later if I get time (and beaten).

Thruster Weight: 45kg (In the video I said I had 2 x 5kg plates, but they are actually 2.5kg)

Body weight: 76.9kg

Time: 3:44 (224 Seconds)

Wilks Score: 31.5225

Overall Score: 224 – (10 x 31.5225) = -91.225

Good WOD.