Gymnation Challenge 2013 - Powerlifting: Novice category

Pseudonym

Everyones going to want the rules to be suited to what they train with. Just get some vids within the rules..

Don't see why a belt is at all necessary..going to do my squats without it, and already done my deads without (but used straps). Ill chuck my dead and bench vids up this weekend (won't do squats for week or so as my back feels shit)

Inb4 'should have worn belt deadlifting'

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I don't want to keep changing the rules unless it's absolutely necessary. As Azide says, the competition is already underway.

So for the Powerlifting Novice (5RM) category, wrist wraps AND wrist straps will be allowed. We won't allow straps in the Powerlifting Open (1RM) category though. (And if we do the Challenge again next year, maybe we'll look at making Novice wrist wraps only as well.)

major-flavaz wrote:

Is the benchpress and deadlift touch and go?  

And would benchpress be full lockout every rep or can you have a slight bend in the elbows at the top?

And squats do your knees have to be fully locked out every rep or can they have a slight bend ?

Touch and go is fine. Bouncing is not.

Every rep needs to reach full lockout at the top for all three exercises.

This is out of my league as I dont do any of this stuff and haven't trained using heavy lifting for over a decade but, this still piques my interest a little.

Could someone please give me an indication of what number of wilks points you need to be hitting to be in the ball park? whats good?

Good start, Jimmybro! I particularly like the way you're wearing the same shirt as in your avatar. That's a nice touch. :D

Just one little detail... To prevent cheating, we also need to see the scales at zero before you hop on.

I want to let this video count, but I can see it causing all sorts of complications down the track if I do. Can you film this lift again, please? (Besides, by Dec 1, you'll have improved on these numbers, anyway.)

And that, powerlifting boys and girls, is why I don't want you to leave your videos until the last minute!

:wink:

Good start, Jimmybro! I particularly like the way you're wearing the same shirt as in your avatar. That's a nice touch. Biggrin

Just one little detail... To prevent cheating, we also need to see the scales at zero before you hop on.

I want to let this video count, but I can see it causing all sorts of complications down the track if I do. Can you film this lift again, please? (Besides, by Dec 1, you'll have improved on these numbers, anyway.)

And that, powerlifting boys and girls, is why I don't want you to leave your videos until the last minute!

Wink

Plan on doing another next month but you will see me weigh in the same the for the next two lifts. 

Next few weigh-ins for the squats and bench will show at 0. 

This is out of my league as I dont do any of this stuff and haven't trained using heavy lifting for over a decade but, this still piques my interest a little.

Could someone please give me an indication of what number of wilks points you need to be hitting to be in the ball park? whats good?

Not sure of your weight but to WIN this category as a girl I definitely think you'd need to be lifting >100kg for 5 on squat and dead and >50 for bench for 5. 

Thats for the girls wilks compared to the wilks of around the amount the top guys in this cat will be lifting. 

Saying that im pretty certain they'll be giving prizes to the top girls competing in these categories as you'd need to be lifitng some heavy as weights for a girl (which are actually imo pretty impossible for most novice girls and general girl gym goers - srry gymnation) to actually beat and WIN some of the weights on wilks. 

So definitely imo girls need to be awarded here - even though its going to be hard for them to win the category! 

(nek minit 50kg novice girl repping ~120 squat and dead and ~65kg bench all for 5 puts all guys to shame)

I thought id add an example as I'll prob get reponses and have to justify myself anyway. 

Say a guy lifted (@95kgs)

Dead - 210

Squat -160

Bench - 110 

Wilks = 298.56

(Not unrealistic imo  for guys here on the forum esp seeing jimmy bro and knowing others numbers on here who plan to enter who have much higher numbers)

A girl at 65kgs (pretty avg for a girl) would have to lift:

110kg dead for 5 

110kg squat for 5

65kg bech for 5

For wilks 298.9

Pretty unrealistic for most girls and a lot of girls in PL in general! 

weight difference is bullshit as last bench set and deadlift set were 15min apart...strong gains lol

Your hoodie was resting on the scales lol.

yeah just saw this, but scale was tared/zeroed before i hopped on, and whole hoodie wouldnt have weighed 1kg anyway. think it was my feet position on the scales.

and yeah squat is weakest lift. heaviest ive ever squatted is 180. im sure someone lighter who is strong like peterdolan could easily beat me on wilks total. or someone similar/heavier weight who's stronger. defs people on here who could

no way im trying a 300 dead either..i know a calculator says i could but i reckon trying it would be asking to f*ck my back

The easiest looking 260kg deadlift for reps i've ever seen. Not even joking, i didn't see any strain or anything, you were even talking while doing it... You're bench looked pretty similar, easy af.

Goodjob man, definitely the guy to beat.

Curious question, have you ever thought about competing and signing to a powerlifting federation? With those numbers you'd give people a scare.

Im definatly entering this one bro and may try open if hit my targets by end of november iv hit 160kg benchpress for 3 reps after  fully smashing chest for 40mins so dont know how much i can du fresh

Deadlifts 1st time iv ever trained it ,technique getting better but can only do 260 for 1 clean rep on a good day so long way for me to go on those and squats 240 for 2 clean reps is best iv done so far with 260 not making it even to parallel lol havent done squats in over 15years...all up been strength training 10weeks.

Dolans have competed though not sure if more than once? 

I still think its unfair that its impossible for women to get a look in - needs to be a separate category cos just doesn't work. To beat AZIDE, even with wilks, need to be pretty much hitting NZ female records. haha. 

I'll probably do one by the end of the challenge, though it will be like 50kg bench 90kg dead and maybe an 80kg squat if im lucky.... LOL. But as long as I beat my last 5rm numbers (45, 85, 70) i'd be happy. 

Hey Azide i dont think ill be able to do reps on 260kg for anuther year i could only du 1 rep and nearly died haha lol , iv never seen anyone especially at that weight duin 260 so easily like that within 2 months you probly be repping 270 or 280 for 5 and even your bench is flipn strong bro lookin to easy. Veeery strong bro