Gymnation Challenge 2013 - Powerlifting: Open category

Pseudonym

Gymnation-Challenge-2013---header_0.jpg

Powerlifting: Open
This category is looking for the strongest athlete across bench, squat and deadlift for 1RM.

The winner of this category takes home a year’s supply of Horleys protein powder! Plus there's a runner-up prize courtesy of NZ Muscle, and just by entering you'll go in the draw to win one of 20 Fitwear vouchers worth $100.

How to enter this category:

• You must post a video set containing the following:
    • Bench press, 1 rep. You may have a spotter help with liftoff. After that, if your spotter touches the bar, the rep doesn't count. To the chest, touch and go, no blatant bouncing (a little momentum is fine).
    • Squat, 1 rep. You must break parallel (hip joint must be below the knees).
    • Deadlift, 1 rep. The knees must be locked and the shoulders back.
  • Each shot of the three lifts must start with weigh-in, and must clearly show the amount of weight you will be lifting.
  • Each shot must follow this procedure exactly:
    • First show the scales with no weight on them. Show that the scales' reading is zero.
    • Next you must stand on the scales in a full body shot. You need to either a) hold a sign with “GYMNATION, {your username}, {current date}” clearly written on it, or b) say the details verbally.
    • The camera must then move to a closeup on the scales so we can clearly see your body weight.
    • Then you move on to do your lift. Prior to performing the exercise, clearly show the amount of weight you are lifting.
    • You must weigh yourself and show the weight lifted in the same continuous shot as the lift, so you'll need a partner to assist you in filming.
  • On squat and deadlift, the camera must be positioned behind you and to one side so we can assess your depth on squats and lockout on deadlifts.
  • You may use a weight belt and wrist wraps, but not knee wraps, wrist straps, bench shirt or squat/deadlift suits.
  • Upload your video on Youtube, Vimeo, and post a link it to on this page.
  • When you post your video here, you must also include:
    • Your body weight (if it varies between your videos, your heaviest weight will be taken)
    • The weight for each of your three lifts
    • The total combined weight of your three lifts
    • The total combined weight converted to Wilks points, as per this calculator:
      http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/fileadmin/data/wilkscalc.htm
  • You may post as many video sets as you like throughout the competition, and the earlier you post them, the more time you have to get advice from people and make improvements. (Also the more time you have to correct in case you don’t meet all the rules.)
  • You must have posted your video set by 10pm, Sunday 1st December.
  • This category is open to both men and women. The winners will be determined using Wilks points to calculate everyone’s relative strength.
  • Please read the Gymnation Summer Challenge general rules as well.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we post a set of lifts then edit the post later if we have a new vid of a lift beating one from original set of lifts?

I have a couple of questions/suggestions.

Firstly, a lift off on the bench would be good, it's difficult to get a good set up when you have to lift off 100% of the weight from the rack. Just a thought.

secondly the deadlift, I assume that hitching the bar up would not be aloud along with no wrist straps. These would be good rules to have. They may have been obvious rules but thought worth a mention.

And lastly the video needs to be a full non stop video from start to finish which means from moment ur on the scales the camera stays on till you finish the dead lift. I could do my weight in tommorow at 85kg and video my lifts on 31st November at 100kg. That wouldnt be difficult to do. And in clothes I wouldn't look much different at those 2 weights.

This means Ppl may need to get a partner to assist them, but I think this is the most chest proof way.

Leeroid - you can use an entry from another powerlifting competition, provided it complies with all the rules above. Our weigh-in requirements might make that difficult though.

Azide - absolutely. Post early, post often. By getting in soon, you can get advice from people on how to improve.

Realtalk - good points. I've updated the rules. Now each lift must be started with a weigh-in. (That gives us the proof we need, but means you don't have to do 3 lifts all in one shot)

Realtalk - Bloody hell, you're cunning, man (and that doesn't surprise me a bit!) But clearly I'm far too innocent to think of this stuff.

Azide - Just do a casual session at a gym that does have scales. Or go and buy your own set of scales. They're not that expensive. (In fact, you could donate them to the gym with a little plaque so everyone knows of your generosity.)

Tyrell - We only have two powerlifting categories in this Challenge - Open, and Novice. We can't subdivide it any further for age, weight or gender. However, your lifts are converted from kilos into point using powerlifting's Wilks formula. This takes your weight and gender into account, so that means we can find the best lifter, relative to your weight and gender. Have a play around with the calculator linked in the rules above, and you'll see how it works. This topic is for the Open category - if you haven't competed in a powerlifting comp before, you probably want to enter Novice instead:
http://www.gymnation.co.nz/forum/training-forums/powerlifting-strength/gymnation-challenge-2013-powerlifting-novice-category

TFB - "can't quite see myself saying my name before a competition squat"... It's going to be worse for Poos_n_wees!
If you can still provide the video of your lifts, and you can provide a link to the official NZPF results (including your weight) then I think that would be perfectly acceptable. Although even if you don't want to say your name, I think you should still look into the camera and mention the Gymnation competition - just for our publicity. ;)

EDIT: Turns out including NZPF/CAPO lifts will be more complicated than first thought, so the powerlifting categories will just be gym lifts only.

I don't see why not. You all work to the same depth rules, etc, don't you? And if we can verify your lifts/weight online with results from an official source, then sure.

This way it benefits the powerlifting organisations, as well as Gymnation. :)

EDIT: Turns out including NZPF/CAPO lifts will be more complicated than first thought, so the powerlifting categories will just be gym lifts only.

its now til dec 1 i think

You need to either a) hold a sign with “GYMNATION, {your username}, {current date}” clearly written on it, or b) say the details verbally. 

^dont see why anyone would have done this previously....

edit:

but think i see what youre getting at. surely even if its filmed in a comp they must do all the other shit in the rules..like the continous shot from weighing to lifting for example. shouldnt matter if they weigh in earlier should just do it again  before the comp lift...

and surely they still have to get the lifts filmed?? seems stupid if no videos are posted...would be like for the bodybuilding one if you come first in an upcoming comp then dont need to post pics here. 

dont powerlifters try drop heaps of weight before weigh in often, then stuff themselves and rehydrate before the lifts? my weight could be easily 5kg different within 24 hours

but think i see what youre getting at. surely even if its filmed in a comp they must do all the other shit in the rules..like the continous shot from weighing to lifting for example. shouldnt matter if they weigh in earlier should just do it again  before the comp lift...

and surely they still have to get the lifts filmed?? seems stupid if no videos are posted...would be like for the bodybuilding one if you come first in an upcoming comp then dont need to post pics here. 

dont powerlifters try drop heaps of weight before weigh in often, then stuff themselves and rehydrate before the lifts? my weight could be easily 5kg different within 24 hours

More good points! OK, here goes...

Yes, lifts must be performed between now and Dec 1.

Yes, lifts must still be filmed and posted here.

I hadn't considered the weight manipulation aspect, but you're absolutely right. So let's make it that contestants must weigh themselves on the day (filmed as per rules). However, if you're at a competition, you only have to weigh yourself once (not in every shot), and it doesn't have to be in the same shot as your lift, provided it's clear that you are doing this on competion day (eg, you show the crowd, and/or the banner above the lifting platform)

All good? Now let's get lifting! :D

Pseudonym wrote:

I hadn't considered the weight manipulation aspect, but you're absolutely right. So let's make it that contestants must weigh themselves on the day (filmed as per rules). However, if you're at a competition, you only have to weigh yourself once (not in every shot), and it doesn't have to be in the same shot as your lift, provided it's clear that you are doing this on competion day (eg, you show the crowd, and/or the banner above the lifting platform)

Oh ok so these are competitions happening from now till then... Righto got it

you gonna post some vids lol?

Definitely since its judged on wilks.

Wilks still rewards big lifts so a 70kg person benching 140kg will come second to a 100kg person benching 200kg etc.

So it's in everyone's best interests to get as big and strong as possible.