Gymnation Summer Challenge 2013

Pseudonym

post-2-14190332875319.jpg

Win a year’s supply of Horleys protein...
Out of a total prize pool worth over $14,000!

Get ready for summer, and we’ll make it worth your while. We’re running a bunch of different competitions, and the winner of each one gets a year’s supply of Horleys protein powder. Plus NZ Muscle has $600 worth of vouchers for the runner-ups. On top of that, every category you enter puts you in the draw to win one of 20 Fitwear vouchers worth $100 each.

Now that’s motivation for you!

Whether you’re getting ripped, getting strong or getting fit, there’s a challenge here for you. All the categories are designed so that even newbies have a shot, and you can enter as many categories as you like. So click a category below to find out the details, then get out there and get training!

Bodybuilding: Best Overall
Who’s looking lean and mean this summer? Size does matter here.

Bodybuilding: Most Improved
You don’t have to be the biggest. You just have to make the biggest change.

Aesthetics: Best Overall
Got the physique, but not ready to lose the shorts? Bring your washboard abs over here.

Aesthetics: Most Improved
Summer’s on its way, and so are you. Those beaches had better be ready.

Powerlifting: Open
You know the drill. If lifting heavy shit is what you do, do it here.

Powerlifting: Novice
Are you a powerlifting newbie? You probably don’t know your own strength.

Crossfit
10 reps. Times 4 exercises. Times 3 rounds. The clock is ticking.

Have a challenge within the Challenge!
Here's an idea. As extra motivation for summer, send this challenge to a friend and see who places highest. To make things even more interesting, lay a bet on it.

Gymnation Summer Challenge – general rules

Specific rules for each category will be explained in each competition topic. Please read the rules carefully. If you don’t meet ALL the rules, you won’t be able to win.

General rules are as follows:

• The Gymnation Summer Challenge closes on December 1. Contestants in the “Most Improved” categories must post at least two sets of photos (Before/After) by this date.
  • The winners of each category will receive 6x 1.3kg containers of ICE Whey, and 6x 1.3kg containers of Crossfire (summer and winter proteins). This will be sent out in three deliveries (4 months worth at a time). Winners will be contacted for their address after the competition. It is the winner’s responsibility to notify Gymnation if they change their address during the year.
  • Contestants who place second in each category will receive an $85 voucher from NZ Muscle.
  • Fitwear vouchers are only for the Gen. I and Gen. II clothing collections.
  • Competition is open to New Zealand residents only. This competition is designed to encourage amateur athletes, so professional (or professionally-registered) athletes are not eligible to enter.
  • You can enter as many categories as you like, but you can only win one (and winners won’t be eligible for the runner-up prizes in the other categories, either). If anyone does win more than once, they'll take the prize for whichever category they win with the biggest margin.
  • In case of a tie or a dispute, we may ask for advice from an impartial expert (to be selected by us) or we may ask you to submit another entry. We reserve the right to make an executive decision on your eligibility to enter.

post-2-14190332875319_thumb.jpg

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear you. Thing is, with all the different gym sports covered in this Challenge, there's a danger that if we subdivide them all into gender/age/weight etc, we spread ourselves too thin. So what we tried to do instead is create categories that focused on the level of the athlete instead. Then it works whatever gender/age/weight you are.

So, for example, bikini girls can still jump into our Aesthetics challenge. We're simply looking for symmetry and aesthetically-pleasing bodies, so girls fit that criteria just as well as the guys do. (In fact, since the winner is decided by our members' votes, the girls may actually have an unfair advantage!)

*wink*

I hear you. Thing is, with all the different gym sports covered in this Challenge, there's a danger that if we subdivide them all into gender/age/weight etc, we spread ourselves too thin. So what we tried to do instead is create categories that focused on the level of the athlete instead. Then it works whatever gender/age/weight you are.

So, for example, bikini girls can still jump into our Aesthetics challenge. We're simply looking for symmetry and aesthetically-pleasing bodies, so girls fit that criteria just as well as the guys do. (In fact, since the winner is decided by our members' votes, the girls may actually have an unfair advantage!)

Wink

You mean to say attractive women in bikinis will be scored favourably by a largely male panel??  Scandelous!

I was actually just thinking that guys have no chance in either 'Most Improved' category if a chick shows up.  I guess we'll have to wait and see

Ten weeks to go, guys!
That's still time to make huge transformations in your physique, strength, and fitness levels.

Spread the word!
The more people we have entering this Challenge, the more likely we are to run it again next year. Take our latest post on Facebook (

) and share it on your own page for your friends. (Then if they win, you can make them share that mountain of Horleys protein with you.)

So go on... get into it!

• 2 weeks later...

Shoulda done some kinda insentive to post before pics before.... Cos seems like lots of people with motivation to do but no pic posting as everyones too shy... 

it should be compulsory, none of this leaving till the end stuff, if your gonna commit to something put the photos up already, i know a few people that have said "yea im keen" or "il post pics at the end, il see how i go".......

i think they ar a bit afraid to commit to something for a couple of months and once you post photos your sort of half way there lol

Shoulda done some kinda insentive to post before pics before.... Cos seems like lots of people with motivation to do but no pic posting as everyones too shy... 

it should be compulsory, none of this leaving till the end stuff, if your gonna commit to something put the photos up already, i know a few people that have said "yea im keen" or "il post pics at the end, il see how i go".......

i think they ar a bit afraid to commit to something for a couple of months and once you post photos your sort of half way there lol

yeah been trying to get my cousin to sign up here and do the same. once you do it you feel a greater sense of commitment and no need to feel shy since you're allowed to blur your face out. why sit on the edge of the pool it's summer challenge dive right in.... it's not so deep that you'll drown so have some fun /cheesy analagy of the day *biggrin*

Yeah, it's a tricky one. The thinking was by not setting a cut-off date for Before pics, we kept the competition open to late-comers as well.

We've never combined different disciplines (bodybuilding/aesthetics, powerlifting, crossfit, etc) under one big "umbrella" Challenge before, and the mechanics of each competition are quite different. Some offer Before/After categories, and some only need a single entry. So it's been a bit of an experiment. Whether we do it again next year will depend on how well this year goes.

We may add another prize which could be randomly won by anyone who enters. Do you think that will help? Or is there another factor here - are people just too shy? Are the rules too complicated?

I thought you said there would be some other spot prizes other than the protein for randoms/runnersup? 

I think people want to enter but because they dont have to put their pics in yet they dont. if it gets to the end they might not think they've done well enough to win so might not post even if they've made changes... Maybe other prizes woudl help that. But im just speculating. 

maybe if people could post something short about their transformation as well as pics. for example "im a mother of 3 and ive never tried to diet before... Ive been reading advice on here and slowly changing my lifestyle by doing x y z... I've (only) lost 5kg in the 10 weeks and now im BMI of 29 instead of 34". But i guess you could make up a sob story to win dem sweet gains. 

I mean shredders who know how to shred can shred but its kinda a bit more meaningful if newbies do it and that should be rewarded too right? 

Inb4 "too gay". (inb4 homophobia accusations) 

not sure adding another prize is gonna help. the ones who are kind of shy to put their befores up will still be shy until later on when they got afters they can be proud of and the ones who are not posting pics up because afraid of the commitment will still be afraid of making that commitment. the prize based on optional early entry won't change their fears. Would get more entries if there was a cut off date but as you say theres the problem with losing out on the last minute entry people which might not be so bad in most improved cats since it involves before & after but could be a factor in the best overal.

I mean shredders who know how to shred can shred but its kinda a bit more meaningful if newbies do it and that should be rewarded too right? 

Inb4 "too gay". (inb4 homophobia accusations) 

i think the most improved categories are very favorable to the newbies since they'll be the ones who have the biggest potential ahead of them in the shorter time periods. yep it is better to see those kind of people making changes rather than say a pro who bulked up for a few months and then goes on a cut (no offence to anyone if thats the case for them) but not sure how the back story idea would go down. i would prefer just to vote based on the actual pics rather than read the sob stories and have to decide whether it's legit or not haha.

also your comment was really gay and homophobic *ROFL*