How to tell the difference between a pulled muscle and a cramp/spasm

Cameron_R

Hi,

So, I'm turning in to an old man, and my body is doing weird things and generally not cooperating.

How can you tell the difference between cramp and a pulled muscle?

Last week, on back and bi's day at the gym, I'd finished all of the back, and was half way through bi's when I picked up a barbell to carry it about 10m across the gym to the preacher curl equipment. About 5 steps across, BANG my back was suddenly in huge pain and it felt like a cramp in the middle of the right hand side of my back! I stretched a bit and finished the work out (serious), but for the rest of that day I was on the couch in a fair bit of pain. Next day I was ok again with a slight stiffness. That was about 2 weeks ago.

This weekend I was away for a dive trip when I picked up my dive back (full of kit and pretty heavy), when the same fucking thing happened. For the rest of the day I was like a 90 year old grandpa. My girlfriend had to dress me FFS! Now is two days after and again I feel ok, just a little stiff in the right side of the back.

Now I am worried that it's not a cramp like I thought.

Does anyone know how I can tell the difference? I'm in fricken Mexico and I do not trust the medical system here, so I am sure as hell not going to a physio just to find out.

TIA

Yeah, that does sound like a recurring back problem. Not that drugs are the complete answer, but it might be worth having some Voltaren on hand in case it happens again. You don't want to have to abandon a dive because of it.

Also, Voltaren reduces the inflammation as well as the pain, and that can be a very good thing too. When I put my back out, the inflammation damaged a nerve and left me with no power in my left foot (I couldn't wiggle my toes for over a month) - that makes finning impossible, particularly back kicks.

Mine was a pretty extreme scenario though, so don't panic. But given the ease of access to prescriptions in Mexico, you'd be silly not to stock up.

In case Voltaren is a NZ brand name, what you're after is Diclofenac. My doctor's instructions were to take a 75mg tablet twice a day with food. That's a hefty dose too, so food is important to avoid an upset stomach.

For "prehab" exercises, check out the advice people gave me in http://www.gymnation.co.nz/forum/training-forums/powerlifting-strength/how-can-i-deadlift-without-breaking-myself