Sternum injury

pyro

Curious if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Started around 6-7 weeks ago my sternum started to randomly click/crack when moving in certain ways or putting weight on my chest. Didn't think much of it until a couple of days after a chest workout where the pain didn't seem to go away, mostly noticable when I would twist my neck. Figured I had tweaked a muscle of the inner chest slightly so eased up on chest for a few weeks and decided to go light. Problem seemed to be improving until last week when I went back to heavier sets and heavy flys, everything was fine during the workout but again after a day or 2 the pain came back.

After scouring the net for others with similar symptoms it seems as though I may have damaged the cartilage, so will be taking 4-5 weeks off anything chest related. Kind of annoying since I should have been on target for my goal of 3 sets 100kgsx8 this week, but after having it flare up again after just going light, I figure its best to let it heal fully.

Anyone had any experience or know someone thats had a similar injury and could shed some light on recovery time they went through.

i think i have something similar. went over handlebars of my bike straight onto the road going quite fast when i was 15ish. did bit of damage to a few things and afterwards my sternum would click  if i bought shoulders forward then back.

kinda came right but then last year was squatting 180 (which i found heavy) and i failed on a rep and the bar dropped and my chest made massive click then hurt like f*ck. 

now whenever i squat heavier than 140 it feels like my lungs are getting crushed and like a rib is stabbing into stuff in my chest and i struggle to breath properly after a set. also i am not very flexible and when i dump the bar after a set i have to let go very slowly or else my shoulders come forwards too fast and it hurts like f*ck in my chest.

never has affected me doing benching/chest though. i dont have any advice or anything tho

Could be tight muscles that caused you to get the tweak in the first place. could have been something that has been slowly getting tighter over a long time then tweaked a little now pulling other shit out of place - deferring tension into neck. 

I have had something kind of similar. When i used to wake up in the morning my chest would click between my sternum and clavical and it had in the past been sore around the area. It happened every day for about 8 months and when i woke up it felt like my chest/neck was really restricted and sore all through the connective tissue, but when it clicked around a bit it felt a bit better.
It started after a decent period of training and dieting where I wasn't really stretching all that much and it gradually started hapening then more and more until it became an everyday thing. 

Working on my chest, front shoulder and trap tightness has helped me and if I keep up to date with it then it wont get clicky or tight at all, but if i dont then it will come back and happen again. 

So if it is somethign with muscle tightness then if you have got to a point where your pec is tight and is causing impingement etc then if you just rest it's still going to be generally tight, and more training will just quickly make it tight again. you might also need something adjusted from the tweak, T-spine clicked maybe. or shoulder release etc. 

Find a physio and get them to see what they think? Then you'll have a better idea if its something you can work on with rehab or if its an injury to be rested. Thats the main q i guess. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments guys, sorry for the late reply been busy lately. I've been training everything else but chest for the past 2 1/2 weeks and its certainly improved, I can still feel it if I move a certain way ever so slightly so will hold off for another 2 weeks before trying light work. If it comes up again I might just go and see a physio to see what they say.