I'm Getting Dizzy and Fading During Exercise

Kigorri

Hi All,

Been working reasonably hard this year and have seen and felt the best results I have in over a decade. 

I have a problem though. I have recently started taking on another two training sessions during the week in the evenings, high cardio MMA style training and at times during the sessions, I feel really faint .... I can usually shake it off, but tonight I was almost blacking out....really dizzy... and the training isnt crazy hard (hard but managable). 

It's weird because my day sessions can be much harder with HIIT sessions and Cardio, I aim to burn at least 500 - 600 cal (approx) and this (feeling faint) doesn't happen.

My diet is good, I'm not on a diet as such, I eat approx 5 small - med meals a day coupled with 1 or 2 protien shakes, I eat clean as possible but can be a bit laxed in that respect, but in any sense, I eat good and should have plenty in the tank... so I don't think it could be my diet.

I'll have a meal prior to the second training.. eggs, bananas, shake, or raw veg etc etc and maybe a half dose pre workout to smooth things out.

I'm wondering if I'm crashing from the pre or the earlier workout is affecting my performance. I've been using a creatine blend (just to try something different from mono) for the past month since I've noticed this happening, maybe I'm not taking in enough water?

I'm 37 now..... is this old age taking over? I don't feel old, apart from a few aches lol

I dont know what else to say really. I'm certainly no athlete but this should not be happening... I should be able to rock through this without passing out.... I'm just at a loss to pinpoint what the issue is... I dont feel like I'm over exerting myself or this would have happened much earlier in the year when I was being stupid.

Any help or insight really would be much appreciated.

Thanks

10 months ago approx, was the last blood pressure check. All was well. Since then I have made huge changes to diet and exercise regime... but at the same time have been dabbling with therogenics, fat burners and a host of pre workouts. 

It may be the pre, I'm also trying to play catch up on a slow July and just may be over doing it.

I don't want to sound like I'm not considering going to see a doctor about this also heheh, I just wanted to see if anyone can relate or have had similar experiences.

Cheers 

I get like that when my iron gets low. Not that common for guys but if you're turning over a lot of muscle definitely worth getting a blood test. Zinc apparently also gives this feeling of tiredness/lethargy/dizziness when low.

I started using iron and zinc again when I felt like this recently - noticed a definite change within 3 days.

Listen to your body.

First I would up your sodium and potassium intake - Some himalayan salt is cheap and essential if you are drinking large amounts of water or doing a lot of cardio (or both!) . If this doesn't help then potentially drop the creatine out for a bit to see if it's that. 

In my opinion I would consider upping carb intake if you are taking on extra training sessions. Carbs aren't "unclean" - potatoes or rice never hurt anyone and are consumed by the greatest female physiques. 

It could, in general, but too much training - you mentioned athletes, who take years to work up their tolerance to high amounts of exercise, I'm not saying you cant do it, but why not ease back a bit if you're getting negetive symptoms? maybe drop a couple of other workouts to make room for your two new ones for a couple of weeks just to see if you get a change -  you might even start getting some better results too (less is more). Doing less but having better recovery will help you improve your performance on every work out hence improving your body composition much better than your body having to fight for the resources to improve.

You might even just need a short break or rest from training. This is all up to you to think and decide what you really need. 

Double check your calorie intake and probably up it - you'll need a minimum of 1800 imo (ideally working up to more) - and if you aren't getting that and have been on sub 1800 for an extended period of time you definitely need to start increasing (more food doesnt = more fat! just more fuel to improve your physique) 

Another option is to book in with GP and have blood pressure tested and who might recommend having bloods to look at Iron levels, sodium/potassium etc. 

Hi Dinah, thanks for taking the time to help. 

I really have not been looking at Sodium and Potassium above the standard 'less salt and less potatoes' ... I would say the Sodium would be covered but will have to have a good look at the potassium. I have a laymans understanding that the balance between the two is quite important.

I definitely am going to ease back after tonight as it happened again pretty badly. I won't do any day sessions when I have training at night, last month was reasonably laidback as far as training goes and picking up where I left off doesn't seem to work. I think I'll take a your advice and maybe switch up a workout or two, to a more comfortable 'fat burning zone' work out as everything I do currently seems to keep me skirting between Aerobic and Anaerobic heart rates. 

I've put my body through a fair bit of work to reach my goals this year and while I almost hit my weight target, I had to button off, as things were getting too full on too soon.... now I'mputting on weight even though I'm working harder.... I think over work is one component and at this stage, I'm going to really have to sit down, take a good look at my diet again and crunch some numbers def not sub 1800 though heh, prob around 2300 on most days from memory, but I really need to revist and realign. 

There is so much to consider.... I'm not even overly lean yet... so annoying. Will be going to see the doctor next week too, this should be interesting.

Thanks again for your feedback, it gave me a lot to consider, much appreciated.