NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
SoulFate

Easy Brown Rice

I found Diab0lic's post on poached chicken super helpful so I thought I'd share my method on brown rice, even though I know full well that the majority of people on here will be used to cooking it, and probably already know this method. I could never really get the hang of it - I tried the methods on the packet and they were always inconsistent, tried a (budget) rice cooker and that just seemed to burn it, whatever I did just came out shit, thought I was doomed to white rice until I found and tried this:

Ok, so the first thing you need to know is the rice/water ratio isn't really that important, you just need loads of water. 

In the interest of efficiency though -

1 cup uncooked rice : at least 4 cups of water

2 cups uncooked rice : at least 6 cups of water

3 cups : at least 8 cups

etc

I don't even measure now. You'll get the idea after cooking it a few times but it's better to have too much than too little.

- Add water to a suitable pot and bring to a rapid boil.

- Dump in rice. Washed if you're that way inclined.

- Set timer 30mins. Cook uncovered.

Ok so that's pretty much packet instructions but here's the game changer.

- Drain off in a colander or seive or whatever. Just needs to be the excess water, I find about 5 seconds of shaking is fine.

- Throw it back in the pot and cover with a tight fitting lid.

- Set timer 10mins. Longer is fine though, I often just leave mine and go to bed.

The steam cooks the rice further and releases a bit more moisture so it's fluffy not gluggy. Make's it very similar to white rice in consistancy but obviously still a bit heavier and more textured. It is brown rice after all.

Works every time.

Ahh, so you're undercooking the rice initially, then using the absorption method to finish it off? Cunning.

So when you're steaming it at the end, I assume you turn off the stove at that stage?

I might try this tonight.

Dont leave at room temp - Copy paste below.

Leftover cooked rice is another very common cause of food poisoning. Leaving rice to cool slowly at room temperature creates the perfect environment for a bacteria called bacillus cereus to develop. This can then produce

toxins that cause vomiting, nausea and diarrhoea. Reheating rice before you serve it won’t destroy the toxins or all the bacteria and you can’t tell if cooked rice is contaminated because it doesn’t look, taste or smell any different to normal rice.

To be sure cooked rice is safe to eat, you should either keep it hot and serve it immediately after cooking or cool it as quickly as possible. Rice cools faster if it’s removed from the hot pan or container it was cooked in and divided into clean, shallow containers less than 10cm deep.

Alternatively, you can cool cooked rice in a colander under cold running water, then cover the rice and store it in the fridge at a temperature of less than 4ºC.

Leftover cooked rice is another very common cause of food poisoning. Leaving rice to cool slowly at room temperature creates the perfect environment for a bacteria called bacillus cereus to develop. This can then produce

toxins that cause vomiting, nausea and diarrhoea. Reheating rice before you serve it won’t destroy the toxins or all the bacteria and you can’t tell if cooked rice is contaminated because it doesn’t look, taste or smell any different to normal rice.

To be sure cooked rice is safe to eat, you should either keep it hot and serve it immediately after cooking or cool it as quickly as possible. Rice cools faster if it’s removed from the hot pan or container it was cooked in and divided into clean, shallow containers less than 10cm deep.

Alternatively, you can cool cooked rice in a colander under cold running water, then cover the rice and store it in the fridge at a temperature of less than 4ºC.

I regularly eat rice that's been left at room temperature for a few days and I'm fine. But I'm probably immune to that bacteria by now.

had a friend do a chef course and they taught rice was one of the worst foods that cause food poisoning.. Until then I didnt give a hoot if it sat on the stove over night.. always thought it was safe as..