NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
bleat

Bleat's Journal: Quest for 90kg

Gotta be careful with those weights one slip and an injury can set you back for weeks. I know I've done it.

Indeed. I see this alot at gyms, you gotta be careful when pressing dbs. Imagine if you droped it on your face. Very dangerous.

Also a good habit to get into is to check your dumbells before doing any lifting...

Maybe some of the DBs at my gym are getting old, but every so often they start unwinding. One of them collapsed while I was doing bicep curls - thank God it wasn't while I was doing military press or something! So ever since, I've checked them thoroughly before starting...

th dbs at my gym cant fall apart.. but last week the ez bar i was using for skullcrushers fell apart.. luckily it was after i had finished and i was putting it down.. i noticed one end was about to fall off :shock:

Arg, that could have been messy :S

Protein arrived tonight only to find that the seal had been broken. It appears that it had got stuck under the lid and cleanly ripped off when I took the lid off. Should I use it anyway?

About to go blast my legs, report back later :grin:

I cant see that there would be a problem with it if you broke the seal when you took the lid off.

Where did you get it from and what brand is it?

I got it from Supplementsonline:

http://www.supplementsonline.co.nz/scri ... roduct=372

It looks like the seal was never properly attached to begin with.

Anyway, just did legs for the first time for a while... :oops:

Leg Press- Individual Legs

64 x 15

82 x 8

82 x 8

82 x 8

Leg Extensions

77 x 10

84 x 8

91 x 8

91 x 13

Calve Raises

82 x 20

82 x 20

82 x 20

82 x 20

Leg Press - Both Legs

118 x 8

118 x 8

136 x 2

Despite these embarrassing weights I crawled out of the gym... gives you an idea how much my legs are lacking. Going to be a absolute cripple tomorrow :grin:

I also asked a couple of guys to show me the basics of dead lifts, so I'm looking foward to giving those a crack on saturday.

training legs is great man.. doesnt really matter what the weights are, just that you make progress and give it 100%.. when i make big gains in my legs i make gains all over

Cheers guys. Legs took about 5 days before I could walk properly again after that blitz :shifty:

I've had an absolute shitter of a week. Had the most massive assignment to do, so spent quite literally the past 6 days in the labs, hunched in front of the computer, surviving off V, burger rings and an average of 3 hours sleep a night.

I've JUST finished and I feel like crap. Really looking foward to getting back into it this week. I need sleep :twisted:

Well after a break from training, I got a chance to get a PT session with a friends brother in law who is really experienced. Went over everything to improve form and just really better my workouts, so I'm really looking foward to getting back into it.

I've held my weight at about 80kg, eating quite poorly and with minimal workouts so I'm quite happy about that- in so far as it hasn't just dropped off. Getting everything ready so come 1st May I can just go crazy.

It's going good thanks man, I haven't destroyed myself like this for a long time, it feels great :grin:

On the first I hit shoulders, today back/tris.

This is my new routine:

Monday - rest

Tuesday - Back/Tris

Seated Cable Rows

Close Grip Bench

Pullups

Dips

Lat Pull Down

Tri Push Down

Wednesday - Abs

With the great TV currently on wednesday nights, I watch a few hours and do weighted decline situps and regular crunches :grin:

Thursday - Legs

Leg Extensions

Leg Press

Deadlifts

Squats

Hamstring Curls

Calve Raises

Friday - Chest/Bis

Incline Bench

Bicep Curls - DB

Flat Bench

Bicep Curls - BB

Flys

Saturday - rest

Sunday - Shoulders / Abs

Shoulder Press - DB

Military Press- Infront

Upright Rows

Laterial Raises

Military Press- Behind

Shrugs

Abs- Weighted decline situps at night.

I haven't yet got through a complete rotation, so I'm chopping and changing it slightly, but that's basically it. The guy who gave me a hand seriously turned everthing I know about form upside down, so it amuses me that I'm lifting the sort of weights an 8 year old girl would- but I couldn't care less I can really feel it working. :)

The guy who gave me a hand seriously turned everthing I know about form upside down, so it amuses me that I'm lifting the sort of weights an 8 year old girl would- but I couldn't care less I can really feel it working. :)

The amount of weight you lift is always secondary to good form, as long as your using good form, and are giving it your best then the wieght you are lifting is really irrelevant. Good to see you have got a solid program down. Good luck.

Good solid routine there, I agree on form though, I dont lift very heavy weights myself but concentrate the most on form and feeling the muscle I am trying to work and doing each exersice at a measured pace rather than as heavy as I can and fast.

so many people at the gym concentrate first on weight only

Cheers guys.

Had exams last week so missed the chest/bi day. So instead of shoulders I did that today. Also destroyed my abs last night as it was a quiet one :grin:

Only downside was not having my usual spotter which I'm used to so didn't want to push it.

Quite happy how things are looking at the moment, huge motivation looking at everyone yesterday at the comp.

One more thing, and this is more of a rant. I'm really wish I was on the other side of the scale and needed to cut. Been wishing I could go for runs around the waterfront lately. Oh well, there's always next year.

Quick update: I'm absolutly loving shoulder day, and the new form on back day is great, can really feel it working.

One question: When you guys do DB press (incline & flat) how far to you bring the DBs down? I'm taking it to as if there was a bar it would be going through my chest. Basically letting it come down as far as I physically can. Just observing others in the gym, noone brings it down this far. In line with my new favourite quote 'Quality not quantity', i don't really mind that I'm lifting ~half of what I was before, but I can't really feel it as much- saying that, it drains all my energy.

Yesterday morning I awoke to immense pain in my right kidney and a real desire to hurl which continued for about 10 minutes, so I went to the doctor and did a urine test which should come back soon hopefully, but the guess is kidney stones :? Oh well, despite the potential for pain of astronomic proportions, rather that than something more sinster- pain is only temporary afterall. But we'll see.

Was told to stay out of the gym, but bugger that- it's back/tri day! Turns out training partner is sick, and I have an assignment to do. Plus perhaps it's because I'm thinking about it but my kidney feels really sore so thought it would be best to give it a miss. Before you say it Jono, yes I know it's slack!

And on a lighter note- After reading the thread about the injectable B12, I casually asked the old lady in passing the other day if she would have a problem with it. She asked the doc about me injecting myself with steriods and whatnot, so I received a lecture on a whole bunch of crap. *sigh*

Quick update: I'm absolutly loving shoulder day, and the new form on back day is great, can really feel it working.

One question: When you guys do DB press (incline & flat) how far to you bring the DBs down? I'm taking it to as if there was a bar it would be going through my chest. Basically letting it come down as far as I physically can. Just observing others in the gym, noone brings it down this far. In line with my new favourite quote 'Quality not quantity', i don't really mind that I'm lifting ~half of what I was before, but I can't really feel it as much- saying that, it drains all my energy.

Yesterday morning I awoke to immense pain in my right kidney and a real desire to hurl which continued for about 10 minutes, so I went to the doctor and did a urine test which should come back soon hopefully, but the guess is kidney stones :? Oh well, despite the potential for pain of astronomic proportions, rather that than something more sinster- pain is only temporary afterall. But we'll see.

Was told to stay out of the gym, but bugger that- it's back/tri day! Turns out training partner is sick, and I have an assignment to do. Plus perhaps it's because I'm thinking about it but my kidney feels really sore so thought it would be best to give it a miss. Before you say it Jono, yes I know it's slack!

And on a lighter note- After reading the thread about the injectable B12, I casually asked the old lady in passing the other day if she would have a problem with it. She asked the doc about me injecting myself with steriods and whatnot, so I received a lecture on a whole bunch of crap. *sigh*

i bring the dbs down as far as i can.

lol i wasnt gonna say its slack. kidney stones is no fun. hope you get better soon man.. btw have fun peein em out !! :grin: :grin:

lol at the lecture. its just a vitimin. completly legal.

I take the dbs all the way as low as i can to stretch the muscle out.

hope the tests come back ok doesnt sound like fun at all to have kidney stones, hope it is something minor.

Cheers guys.

Got the test results back: I'm clear! Which I don't know is good or bad. Most people don't wake up screaming because of pains in their sides. Guess I'll have to wait and see :?

Today:

Cable Rows 8*5

Tri Extension 8*5

Lat Pull Down 8*4

Bi Curl- DB 8*5

TriPushDown 10*2

Hit a whole bunch of things today as assignments are going to preoccupy my time all next week. I'm talking 15 hour days in the lab... oh well at least I can whore the forums while I procrastinate :grin:

I'm back!

Those damn exams are out of the way now so I've been training/eating like no tomorrow for a few days now.

I've lost a bit of strength and feel like rubbish at the moment, so I'm passing time outside the doctors office so here's the past few workouts.

14/6/05 - Chest/Bi's

Flat Bench -BB

60x8

60x8

65x7

65x6

Bi Curls -DB

15x8

15x8

15x8

15x8

Incline - DB

19x12

21x8

21x8

21x8

Bi Curls -BB

35x8

35x8

35x8

35x8

14/6/05 Back/Tri's

Close Grip Bench

60x8

50x10

55x8

60x7

Seated Cable Rows

36x10

59x8

68x10

77x8

73x8

Tricep Extensions

9.5x12

12x8

12x8

Lat Pull Down

55x12

64x8

73x8

Today - Morning - Shoulders

Shoulder Press - DB

17x10

19x8

21x8

21x4

Upright Rows

32x15

41x8

41x8

41x8

Behind the Neck Military Press

20x15

25x10

30x8

Shrugs- DB

34x20

34x20

34x20

Planning on hitting legs tonight, so looking foward to that. Fortunality for me unlike you fellas it only takes me half a minute to rack and unrack the leg press :pfft:

Despite the loss of strength training has been good apart from a huge threat... a new girlfriend. I told myself once I started taking this seriously that I wanted my next gf to be at least 90kg, that way our umm.. intimacies would be beneficial as I would only be able to manage a few reps. Alas she is tiny so it's pure cardio- she doesn't understand when I try to explain that I'm bulking :? One plus is that she eats and thus forces me to eat a crapload. I'm talking a can of baked beans over four pieces of toast, bowl of yogurt and fruit, and a milkshake for breakfast. I shit you not- the girls a machine. Anyway hopefully the gains should still be comming, if not she'll have to go.