Bleat's Journal: Quest for 90kg

bleat

Hey all here's my journal, as it says I'm aiming for 90kg, when I get there I'll take a step back and re-evaluate my goals.

I'm trying to use this log as a way of keeping my dedication going strong, and learning as much as I can about nutrition/bodybuilding. So if you guys can see something wrong or something that could be improved it would be much appriciated if you would let us know, cheers :)

Progress:

11/03/05 - 170lb

18/03/05 - 173lb

25/03/05 - 176lb

All weight in kg.

Training: Back/Bi's

Seated Cable Rows

64 x 12

73 x 8

73 x 8

77 x 7

73 x 8

Shrugs - DB

38 x 25

38 x 25

38 x 22

38 x 20

Bicep Curl - BB

27 x 8

32 x 8

32 x 8

32 x 8

Upright Rows - BB

32 x 10

41 x 6

41 x 4

Lat Pull Down

64 x 10

73 x 8

73 x 8

82 x 4

Diet:

M1:

6 x Weetbix

2 x Toast

Scoop Whey + SoyMilk

Carbs: 108.7 Protein: 45.8 Fat: 11 Calories: 717

M2:

100g Oats

2 x Scoops Whey

3Tbs Flaxseed Oil

SoyMilk

Carbs: 81.7 Protein: 69.8 Fat: 63.6 Calories: 1,178.4

M3:

160g Chicken Breast

3 x Rolls

Carbs: 36 Protein: 43.52 Fat:31.32 Calories: 599.96

M4:

100g Brown Rice

185g Tuna

Carbs: 82 Protein: 42 Fat: 39 Calories: 847

M5:

100g Brown Rice

185g Tuna

M6:

100g Oats

2 x Scoops Whey

3Tbs Flaxseed Oil

SoyMilk

Totals:

Carbs: 472.1

Protein: 312.92

Fat: 247.52

Calories: 5367.76

Comments: Today was the first day of taking all this this seriously. Man was it hard eating all that food. After breakfast I was feeling pretty bloated and felt my workout suffered as a result. I felt quite weak and my lifts were less of what they usually are which was a bugger. I'm going to have to get up eariler me thinks to advoid that. If you're reading you're probabily wondering why I don't incorporate deadlifts into my back routine, and I haven't yet because I'm not totally sure how to do them and am terrified of putting my back out as a result. Will ask a PT next week to show me correct form.

I didn't think the diet was going to be this hard. Got home after work and couldn't be bothered making anything exciting so I chucked tuna on rice for the second time. The first time eating that was hard enough and the second time was hell. I made it fine to the last mouthfull which pushed me over the edge and I chucked back up a few mouthfulls :(

Ok I just filled in the carbs/protein/fat calories and wow there was too much fat. Going to have to knock that down a bit.

Oh well here I go, wish me luck :D

/edit - tried posting this last night but site went down before I could click submit.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

glad to see another journal !

best of luck with your goals man.

i would put the bi work at the end of the workout, not in the middle. this way your bis wont fail before your back.

diet looks good, but like you said a lot of fat there man.

looking forward to seeing your progress.

If you're reading you're probabily wondering why I don't incorporate deadlifts into my back routine, and I haven't yet because I'm not totally sure how to do them and am terrified of putting my back out as a result. Will ask a PT next week to show me correct form.

Good plan. If you can, talk to more than just one PT, and check out some websites on exercise execution (we've got several listed under the Links section here) Everyone has a slightly different take on doing things, or another way of explaining it, and you can find the method that feels best for you.

I didn't think the diet was going to be this hard.

I've gotta say, it certainly looks like an awful lot of calories! What were you on before? You might find it easier to increase it gradually, week by week, rather than suddenly start it all at once.

/edit - tried posting this last night but site went down before I could click submit.

Ah. Yes. Sorry about this. I'm really Not Happy with the hosting company right now. I don't know about you guys, but I've often found the site to be incredibly sloooow to load, and it has a much higher downtime rate than I think is acceptable. I'm working on this one. :x

Today was a rest day and really a bit of a cheat day I suppose :S Not good for my second day in.

Diet:

M1:

Baked Beans

2 x Toast

M2:

100g Oats

2 x Scoops Whey

3Tbs Flaxseed Oil

SoyMilk

M3:

160g Chicken Breast

3 x Rolls

M4:

12 Chicken Tenders

1 Box of Chips

M5:

N-Large2

SoyMilk

Really can't be bothered working out the calories at this time of the morning, I think it was enough which is what counts :)

Chest/Tri day tomorrow yah! :grin:

Cheers for the tips guys, definatly take it on board. Would it be a a good idea if on bicep days if I skipped curls at the gym and did them when I get home that night? Bear in mind I go in the morning. If I do it that way I can give them a real blitz as I have the bar etc at home and would like to put it to use.

The past few days haven't been good in terms of my plan :( In general they were good tho! Went fishing all day unexpectedly so missed chest day, will do tomorrow- perfer doing on tuesday anyhoo. I felt ill after I got back and didn't eat enough that day or today as I was ment to prepare last night but hit the hay early. Hopefully tomorrow will be good.

I'd say no, do your biceps with your back in the one workout. You're trying to spend as few calories as possible, remember - be lazy! :P

You should be stimulating the muscle enough through your back workout that you don't need a whole new biceps workout as well - what you're doing now is fine, just move them to after your back exercises.

Also, I'd:

- Swap upright rows for bentover rows (upright works more on the front delts, and bentover still hits the traps, but targets rhomboids as well. Also biceps, if you use an undergrip)

- Move your shrugs right to the end, so you conserve your grip strength.

So to summarise, your workout would end up looking like this:

Seated cable rows

Bentover rows (undergrip)

Lat pulldowns

Bicep curls (Maybe throw in a few sets of hammer curls if you feel you need it)

Shrugs

Just my two cents - wait and see what others say about it... :grin:

I'd say no, do your biceps with your back in the one workout. You're trying to spend as few calories as possible, remember - be lazy! :P

You should be stimulating the muscle enough through your back workout that you don't need a whole new biceps workout as well - what you're doing now is fine, just move them to after your back exercises.

Also, I'd:

- Swap upright rows for bentover rows (upright works more on the front delts, and bentover still hits the traps, but targets rhomboids as well. Also biceps, if you use an undergrip)

- Move your shrugs right to the end, so you conserve your grip strength.

So to summarise, your workout would end up looking like this:

Seated cable rows

Bentover rows (undergrip)

Lat pulldowns

Bicep curls (Maybe throw in a few sets of hammer curls if you feel you need it)

Shrugs

Just my two cents - wait and see what others say about it... :grin:

upright rows over time can be very hard on your shoulders, i wouldnt do them at all.

i wouldnt have shrugs ar the end of the workout. heavy bb curls works your forearms hard, so i would have them after back but before bis.

if that workout was mine i would replace lat pulldowns with chins.

carry on :grin:

Today was a chest/tri day.

Training:

Flatbench- DB

30x12

36x7

38x3

36x6

34x4

Flys

24x8

24x8

24x8

24x8

PeckDeck

45x8

45x8

45x8

45x8

Diet:

M1:

8 x Fruit Toast

Carbs: 141.6 Protein: 21.6 Fat: 7.2 Calories: 717.6

M2:

100g Oats

2 x Scoops Whey

3Tbs Flaxseed Oil

SoyMilk

M3:

160g Chicken Breast

3 x Rolls

Carbs: 36 Protein: 43.52 Fat: 4 Calories: 354.08

M4:

100g Brown Rice

185g Tuna

M5:

Meat

Veges

Carbs: XX Protein: XX Fat: XX Calories: XX

M6:

100g Oats

2 x Scoops Whey

3Tbs Flaxseed Oil

SoyMilk

Totals:

Carbs: 423 + XX

Protein: 246.72 + XX

Fat: 177.4 + XX

Calories: 4275.48 + XX

Comments: Really need to get up eariler. Had to go straight from breakfast to gym and nearly lost my breakfast on several occasions so cut it short- couldn't bare losing all those carbs I forced down!

i wouldnt have shrugs ar the end of the workout. heavy bb curls works your forearms hard, so i would have them after back but before bis.

I find if i do shrugs near the start of my workout then it will affect other exercises. I eve nuse straps of the shrugs but it still actually uses the forearms quite alot. I have tried doing it your way but then when i go to do curls, i find my forearms screaming midway through the rep range.

I guess you should try a variety of methods and use which one works for you.

Yah chest and arms are burning today despite the short workout :grin:

Cheers for the comments on the DB press guys. They would be my 'above average' lift in comparison with everything else I do. I think it's because just before I started doing them I watched a vid of the big man RC lifting with the 200lb'ers. So I just mentally believed I could lift X amount on the DBs- my BB lift is only a tiny bit more than them combined. I'm a firm believer that a huge part of your lift is your attitude to the weight.

I too like finishing off the session with shrugs. I just feel absolutly dead after them. Have tried them in the middle but then am far to drained to probabily do anything else.

My biggest problem so far is time management. Things keep poping up and buggering up my meal schedules. I'm hoping I will just become more prepared but it's hightly frustrating having to miss 3 meals because something important rears it's ugly head.

Workout: Back/Bi's

Seated Cable Row

68x12

73x8

82x8

82x8

91x8

Upright Rows-BB

41x8

41x8

41x8

41x8

Lat Pull-Down

68x8

77x8

82x8

82x8

77x8

Bicep Curls-BB

32x8

32x8

32x8

32x8

Shrugs

38x25

38x25

Diet was good. Not going to record it anymore as I more or less eat the same thing everyday. Approx 4500 calories, 250g+ protein.

Weighed in today at 173lb. 3lb up from last friday which was nice. Think I'm going to measure my gains in pounds as it's more motivating- a kg is a lot! I know it's too early to tell if that was an actual gain or just water retention or whatever but I'm absolutly stocked :grin: If I can keep this up I'll be really happy.

PS- Still doing the upright rows as I relised I wasn't sure how to do bent over rows once I got to the gym! Been reading about them tonight :)

Cheers guys. Haven't updated in a while, final week before break at uni- don't know how you find the time Jono :wink:

Been sticking with training/diet quite well, after the back/bi workout from last friday my forearms are sore as. It really hurts to even massage them. I got them looked at before xmas as they were so bad over the holidays I couldn't even play tennis after giving them a break at the gym for 3 weeks. They've been feeling like that all week again :(

Despite that I hit back and bis again today with the usual workout and...

weighed in today at 176lb! Another 3lb up from last week. I'm really happy it's finally working. I don't expect to keep packing on 3lb a week but I'll take it while I can :grin:

It's just a relief that the 3lb I gained last week wasn't a result of a meal yet to process or whatever, but that this strict diet is really working. I wasn't sure if it would go up this week either as I quit taking creatine a week ago, but I'm glad it has. As I'm on holiday now I'll have time and energy to really commit myself for the next few weeks so I'm quite excited 8).

Cheers guys. Haven't updated in a while, final week before break at uni- don't know how you find the time Jono :wink:

Been sticking with training/diet quite well, after the back/bi workout from last friday my forearms are sore as. It really hurts to even massage them. I got them looked at before xmas as they were so bad over the holidays I couldn't even play tennis after giving them a break at the gym for 3 weeks. They've been feeling like that all week again :(

Despite that I hit back and bis again today with the usual workout and...

weighed in today at 176lb! Another 3lb up from last week. I'm really happy it's finally working. I don't expect to keep packing on 3lb a week but I'll take it while I can :grin:

It's just a relief that the 3lb I gained last week wasn't a result of a meal yet to process or whatever, but that this strict diet is really working. I wasn't sure if it would go up this week either as I quit taking creatine a week ago, but I'm glad it has. As I'm on holiday now I'll have time and energy to really commit myself for the next few weeks so I'm quite excited 8).

congrats on the weight gain man.. i always find the time cos its something i love to do :D

sucks about the forearms.. i havnt had any experience with something like that myself. i have heard about other people having this problem though.

Cheers guys :)

This weekend has been an absolute DISASTER. There is no food and I haven't been able to get to any. Been surviving off easter eggs. Well perhaps not that bad but definatly haven't made any progress. To make matters worse I ran out of protein power on friday so not happy.

Mentally preparing my head and bank account for two weeks of pure eating/training.

Cheers guys :)

This weekend has been an absolute DISASTER. There is no food and I haven't been able to get to any. Been surviving off easter eggs. Well perhaps not that bad but definatly haven't made any progress. To make matters worse I ran out of protein power on friday so not happy.

Mentally preparing my head and bank account for two weeks of pure eating/training.

damn that doesnt sound too good living on basically sugar lol.. well now we have the holidays man.. time to kick things up a gear

You're most definatly right guys :[

Training today was an awful. No energy, just felt totally drained. Was able to hit the supermarket on the way to work so picked up half a dozen rolls, can of tuna and 200g chicken for lunch. Felt so good to have some real food.

OT- My buddy had a lapse of concentration today whilst doing incline bench with the 30s and heavily guide-dropped one onto his opposite shoulder. Really hurt his shoulder for a few minutes, then it apparently felt much better- he has a little padding, if it was me I think it would have knocked my arm off. I was put off after that :shock: