Training with cold, what medicine to take?

FellowshipOfTheRon

Hey guys,

Over the last week phlegm has been building up on the back of throat and it's been either 1 or the other nostril blocked. Since this morning the nose is not blocked but bit of a sore throat so I guess whatever it is is progress to the next stage?

Normally I would take a break from training for a week and see a doc who would prescribe me with a 2 week course of antibiotics but I can't afford to do that right now.. antibiotics generally make me feel pretty weak and with 12 days to go until a fitness test (NZ Army Induction Day/RFL Fitness Test), can't imagine what would happen if I took a full week off!

What products have worked in the past for such situations for you guys? I was thinking something like Lemsip Max? Whatever it is it needs to (hopefully) not mess with my heart rate so I can continue training and also help keep me sharp for the test day.

The other thing is, they will do a urine test for recreational drugs. Never have nor will take anything dodgy but if anyone could chime in if they know of any medicines that might give false positives that would also help so I can avoid those.

The training I currently do is running in morning then going gym after couple meals and doing circuit training then some high rep accessory work to finish up.

Cheers

Panadol water and rest mate. I think you maybe over doing your training ease off for a day or two your fitness will be fine.
I'd expect rest and recovery to be the most beneficial course of action.

Take whatever for symptom relief. Or don't bother. You'll likely live either way :lol:

thanks guys, been taking panadol, heaps of water and lots of ginger tea. got some strepsils yesterday too, the pain in the throat has subsided. there is now a strange feeling in my chest, the one thing i was most afraid of is the problem reaching there.

the army test is a 8 days away now so don't think i can take much more time off for fear of losing conditioning but don't think i can do cardio either for fear of making it worse. had friday, saturday and sunday off so gonna get back today and just do weights and bit of body weight stuff with light-medium intensity for rest of the week will see how it goes. at worst i will go to test next week drugged up with cough syrup, panadols, synus releif sprays and drag my ass through

[edit]... k dont think im gonna end up going gym today might just go for a walk or something. just dropped down to do some pushups and my heart was beating like a mofo after only 20, crazier feeling than after a 20 min fast run