Protein powder vs mass gainer

ARJEY9616

hi everyone

im 17 and weigh about 59-60 kgs. i've been hitting the gym now for just under a year. i usually do workouts like benches, curls, shoulder presses etc.

anyway i was wondering which one is better Protein powder or Mass gainer? all i want to do is pretty much get bigger and stronger. I eat a lot (i hope) and hardly gain weight. so im wondering which one would be better for me, to get bigger and stronger.

and i also play Basketball.

Hi Arjey

You mention that you eat a lot. Could you list what you ate today (including calories and Carbs/Fats/Protein breakdown)? When someone is struggling to gain weight, the existing diet is usually the first thing to look at.

If you're not currently tracking your diet then there are heaps of online tools to help with that such as SparkPeople and myfitnesspal.

That which isn't measured won't be managed. As they say.

I also once thought I was eating heaps, and it was relative to what I did before that, but it turned out that it really wasn't that much at all if I wanted to continue growing...

Good post??? :shock:

He's 17, weighs under 60 and thinks he eats heaps. Unlikely to have a single clue about the carb/protein/fat macro breakdown of his diet or even a consistent diet.

That's completely irrelevant anyway. The secret to getting bigger completely lies in eating more food. Mass gainers are an easy way of taking on more calories but how much of it actually sticks to your body. For some it passes straight through them. Your best bet it to just get a half recent WPC protein powder and add in a cup of oats and some fruit with each Shake (will need to be blended). And whatever you are eating (which I hope is quality meat, vegetables and things like rice and pasta) eat more of it

Don't over think it

He's 17, weighs under 60 and thinks he eats heaps. Unlikely to have a single clue about the carb/protein/fat macro breakdown of his diet or even a consistent diet.

That's completely irrelevant anyway. The secret to getting bigger completely lies in eating more food. Mass gainers are an easy way of taking on more calories but how much of it actually sticks to your body. For some it passes straight through them. Your best bet it to just get a half recent WPC protein powder and add in a cup of oats and some fruit with each Shake (will need to be blended). And whatever you are eating (which I hope is quality meat, vegetables and things like rice and pasta) eat more of it

Don't over think it

couldn't have said it better SG, although i think Pseu was referring to Kalidane's post as the good post??

i too have a lot of mates that claim to eat "heaps" and still not grow. i then tell them what i consume while trying to lean out, its still almost triple the amount of what they eat.

Op the best thing to do would be to throw up your diet or what you would roughly consume each day, that way people can get more of a handle where things are going right/wrong.

Mass gainers are pure convenience imo, great for a new person trying to put on some mass for easy accessible calories, but once you learn a bit, you will soon realise that having a whey protein shake with a couple of moros is just as beneficial :shifty: probably more cost effective as well.

Don't over think it

Yep your prescription was where this thread was always heading but I don't see the harm in starting the ball rolling in being mindful of diet. The two guides on this forum are a great starting point (here and here).

Using oat bran eliminates the need for blending for those not keen on that step.

well actually now that i think of it i dont really eat as much as i thought i was. it turns out that i just eat a lot of times. mostly snacks here and there.

But going to school and all usually for morning tea i usually have biscuits and 1 calciyum (chocolate milk) and for lunch i usually have 2 pieces of peanut butter and strawberry jam. or just buy something if i dont have those. then when i come home ill find something to eat. i usually have 4 pices of weetbix with cornflakes and peaches or if not i tend to have noodles or egss and rice.

and for dinner my mum usually cooks but most meals have rice. im asian so....hahaha

i usually do workouts like benches, curls, shoulder presses etc.

I hope thats not all you do lol.

haha no its not. thats just some of the things i do. i usually mix things up depending on how i feel. or if my friend says i have to do a certain workout plan for that day

well actually now that i think of it i dont really eat as much as i thought i was. it turns out that i just eat a lot of times. mostly snacks here and there.

But going to school and all usually for morning tea i usually have biscuits and 1 calciyum (chocolate milk) and for lunch i usually have 2 pieces of peanut butter and strawberry jam. or just buy something if i dont have those. then when i come home ill find something to eat. i usually have 4 pices of weetbix with cornflakes and peaches or if not i tend to have noodles or egss and rice.

and for dinner my mum usually cooks but most meals have rice. im asian so....hahaha

That is honestly so little food man, you'd be lucky if you're getting 2000 calories by the looks of it.

And get a solid 4 or 5 day split going and stick to it, not whatever you feel like on that day.

That is honestly so little food man, you'd be lucky if you're getting 2000 calories by the looks of it.

And get a solid 4 or 5 day split going and stick to it, not whatever you feel like on that day.

yea i noticed that. i looked at that article that was posted on here and i have written down how much calories i need to be eating. so ill be starting that next week.

also what do you mean 4 or 5 day split? do you mean like monday- triceps and shoulder and tuesday- biceps and chest etc?

yea i noticed that. i looked at that article that was posted on here and i have written down how much calories i need to be eating. so ill be starting that next week.

also what do you mean 4 or 5 day split? do you mean like monday- triceps and shoulder and tuesday- biceps and chest etc?

good start and yeah exactly, example of a different lees 4 day split viewtopic.php?f=33&t=17067