Shoulder Surgery

shane

But probably worth it in the long run, you will still be able to train legs and core as well as cardio to keep in shape.

How long along was your last cortisone?

I remember travis telling me about getting a cortisone injection in his elbow about once a year.

Had it in march was settling down good and nearly healed, then with my job I had a wrestle with a angry young man and hurt it again and it'd never been right since I did win the wrestle as well :grin:

I had shoulder surgery last August. I had a full thickness tear of the supraspinatus and infraspinatus tendons. It is very common to tear these tendons. The cortisone shot is to reduce the inflammation of the bursa caused by the tendon rubbing against the bone.

There was a gap of 2.5 cm between my bone and tendon. If it is a partial tear then there is a possibility of a natural recovery. If it is a full thickness tear you will need surgery. They just don't heal.

I was in a sling for 6 weeks and you are not allowed to move the arm with the shoulder muscles at all.It is a challenge dancing with one arm in a sling.You will probably need to be off work on ACC. After that I was lifting the arm with assistance for a few weeks. Then lifting the arm with no weights.

After 10 weeks I was lifting light weights. From that point recovery was quite fast as I had the will to push the weights.

It is now 7 months and my weights are back up there but still a little weak on that shoulder.

My shoulder is much better than pre operation but still weaker than the other. The surgeon said it could be a year for full recovery but I can lift fairly big weights at present.

The fact is if the tendon is torn fully it will not recover and will get thinner the longer it is left reattached.

An ultrasound and MRI will confirm the problem and hopefully it will be on ACC. Takes a month or three for ACC to make a decision and the problem is that they consider most shoulder tendon injuries to be wear and tear. Half of all shoulder claims are turned down.They have to be satisfied it was a one off event and that you havent injured it previously.

Remember that each cortisone shot weakens the tendon so i would avoid it. It also gives you confidence to lift more weight with pain masked and making the injury worse.

Thanks agent86 I have a funny feeling the surgeon will have a look at it, I have had this problem for years it usually goes away but this time hasn't and re-injuring it at work hasn't helped much. Thanks for sharing your rehab

Anyone had Shoulder Surgery at all? Have to go see surgeon next week not sure if I will get another cortisone or he will operate. If anyone has had surgery what tips can you give me

you'll need to find out what the problem is before the surgeon / doc can decide what to do. You are probably going to need an MRI to know for sure.

Nothing wrong with getting cortisone injections if kept to a sensible amount in a sensible time frame. The problem with coritzone occurs if an idiot giving it injects in to the tendon sheath. This will weaken the tendon and leave it vunerable to tearing.

I told the idiot that did my cortisone inject under arthrogram that I didn't want him to inject right in to the tendon. I watched where he injected. Yep right in to the tendon sheath. As I pulled him up on it, he rubbished my claim.

Sure enough a few days later at the gym pushing light weights, 30kg incline dumbbell press, sure enough.. Near full thickness rotator cuff tear.

Mines only hanging on by 10%

I have put off having my op and am still training and starting to push heavier and heavier weights. My shoulder gets sore at times but stuff it, I don't want to stop training. At some stage Im going to have to have the op but am not looking forward to it.. Very frustrating eh?

whats worse for me is I had low TRT issues. Now that I have them resolved im starting to get some really good gains for the first time in years.. Then to have to go and have an op and give up all those gains for months.. Grrrrrrr

I have already had this op done on my left shoulder. It took nearly 2 years to get back to 96%? it's unlikely you will never get it back to completely normal.

Then the doc tells me its not if, but when you will get artharitis (sp) in the operated shoulder. Just a matter of time as you get older.

Any way, Im putting off my op and will train as long as I can until it finally tears off the bone or until it just gets too sore..

Oh yeah, my left took more or less 2 years to come right and that was with being very strict about looking after it, strenghthen exercises, lots of stretching to get rid of scar tissue, massages, etc..

People say concentrate on legs while you are waiting for your shoulder to come right. .. That's doesn't quite work that easy either. When you are really struggling with leg press, squats etc, your whole body is under strain. Including your shoulders.. Next time you do some thing heavy with legs, try doing it with out involving your shoulder in some shape or form.

It will take some months before you can even start really pushing legs hard.. Unfortuantely its going to be a long and frustrating healing process..

And unfortunately for me, not only do I have to have the op on my right side, I have now torn something in the left shoulder when training on the the heavy bag (boxing) Oh joy of joys.. So Im going to need that sorted, once my right side is fixed. Years of not been able to train properly. Very frustrating.

Im thinking of getting peptides to try to speed up the process of healing. At my age I don't have a lot of time to sit around waiting to mend.

Good luck with it all shane.

• 1 month later...

I had shoulder surgery last August. I had a full thickness tear of the supraspinatus and infraspinatus tendons. It is very common to tear these tendons. The cortisone shot is to reduce the inflammation of the bursa caused by the tendon rubbing against the bone.

There was a gap of 2.5 cm between my bone and tendon. If it is a partial tear then there is a possibility of a natural recovery. If it is a full thickness tear you will need surgery. They just don't heal.

I was in a sling for 6 weeks and you are not allowed to move the arm with the shoulder muscles at all.It is a challenge dancing with one arm in a sling.You will probably need to be off work on ACC. After that I was lifting the arm with assistance for a few weeks. Then lifting the arm with no weights.

After 10 weeks I was lifting light weights. From that point recovery was quite fast as I had the will to push the weights.

It is now 7 months and my weights are back up there but still a little weak on that shoulder.

My shoulder is much better than pre operation but still weaker than the other. The surgeon said it could be a year for full recovery but I can lift fairly big weights at present.

The fact is if the tendon is torn fully it will not recover and will get thinner the longer it is left reattached.

An ultrasound and MRI will confirm the problem and hopefully it will be on ACC. Takes a month or three for ACC to make a decision and the problem is that they consider most shoulder tendon injuries to be wear and tear. Half of all shoulder claims are turned down.They have to be satisfied it was a one off event and that you havent injured it previously.

Remember that each cortisone shot weakens the tendon so i would avoid it. It also gives you confidence to lift more weight with pain masked and making the injury worse.

would an ultrasound scan be able to detect tears?

what were youre symptoms like

i see it took you 10 weeks to start light weights and 7 months to get heavy again

may i ask how much weight you lifting now