HELP!!!!. Dont know how/where to begin.

mt222

Hey guys

Quick low down about myself:

-Female Uni student in Hamilton, New Zealand originally from Rotorua

-Absoloutly CRAZY about bodybuilding more so crazy about mens physique then womans

-Money is really tight at the moment

-Workload study wise is HECTIC

I am willing to do anything I can to start getting into shape and I am very keen on starting bodybuilding/toning. The only issue is I don't know where to start and how to get the motivation to start and it's driving me nuts :(

I would appreciate any life changing advice I can get as I am just at that point where I see muscly people and im just like grrrrrrr I want that so baaaaad!!!

Please help =)

Welcome :)

You'll find a lot of good advice on this site - and the odd troll....

Under the resources tab on the right, for instance you'll find some great advice, particularly under General Chitchat >> Introduce yourself.

So, money's tight... but we all have to eat, and cleaning up a diet to get the figure you want is all about making the most of what you take in.

If you like, consider an 'introduce yourself' post, and you could tell us if you've a sports background, access to a gym, and so on.... what's a day's diet look like, for instance?

Oh (and providing the moderators don't shoot me for repping the competition) have a look at this site for motivation :)

You tracking Macros or just eating in moderation?

Find a workout routine that you enjoy and that pushes you to do well (most important thing is that you enjoy it as if you don't you will hate doing it so are less likely to workout).

DON'T do what SO MANY girls do and just run, run, run,run,run, piss all weight training.

Lastly, DON'T do what SO MANY girls do and just run, run, run,run,run, piss all weight training.

:nod:

Weight training>Rest>Attitude/General Health>Diet>Cardio

Interesting heirarchy you've chosen, I don't neccessarily agree or disagree, but I think the importance of cardio is being lost in translation there.

I'd say Weight training>Diet>Cardio>rest>attitude.

Diet+cardio+rest all constitute general heath imo, and attitude is hard to quantify. Well programmed cardio can make a world of difference when it comes to fat loss, recovery and even building your work capacity. I think too many bodybuilders/powerlifters don't utilise cardio as well as they should (myself included :oops: )

OP, I'd suggest contacting a few of the local gyms and asking around for mentors, people who'd be happy to help you out with getting started and set you up the right way. It's generally a very friendly community and most are happy to help someone new get involved :nod:

it's not like you can be slack in one aspect and still expect to be the best you can be.

That's very true, but no one is going to become a great bodybuilder or powerlifter without weight training :wink: The others are definitely up for debate, and finding a balance is key.

it's not like you can be slack in one aspect and still expect to be the best you can be.

That's very true, but no one is going to become a great bodybuilder or powerlifter without weight training :wink: The others are definitely up for debate, and finding a balance is key.

You don't need cardio for bodybuilding or powerlifting lol.

I have a large metabolic capacity so don't need to do a lot of cardio (my maintenance is 3100-3200 just from lifting so cutting out 400cals isn't hard for weight loss.

don't forget to foam roll/stretch... I have love hate relationship with my foam roller... never ever go away without it as it helps recovery so much.

you mentioned that you really want to get in to bodybuilding and that you're willing to do anything to get in to shape but then you also mention that you struggle with finding the motivation to get started :think:

what made you want to get started in the first place? think about that for a while and try to picture it every time you try to talk yourself out of it (and there probably will be times where you get tired or it feels like it gets too hard and try talk your way out of it).

how can you start? join a gym! look up local gyms, including your uni one. as you say, money is tight so give them all calls and find out their joining/subscription fees and what benefits they provide (24 hr access, fitness classes etc.). if it's all too much, don't panic. you can build a pretty decent base by just investing in some running shoes and getting your cardio in from running/sprinting and going to the park to do a pushups/pullups/situps/v-sits circuit with sprints etc.

next on the list is to figure out the basics of eating. here is the forums newbies guide to nutrition : content.php?id=162 and here is the calorie calculator : content.php?id=186

it's a lot to take in at once but nutrition is something really important for anyone whether they want to build mass, lose fat, get stronger, get faster or all of the above.

Yea as your said, however a lot of women do far to much cardio which results in to much of a deficit and rapid weight lose (not a positive in the long run).

What are you talking about lol

i think he means something along the lines of many women who start out go too hard on cardio and/or random online food plans, experience initial rapid weight loss, experience the shitty feeling/find it too hard to maintain and get fat again concluding to themselves that being slim is unhealthy.