Soundsgood first IPF Powerlifting comp

soundsgood

Hey guys

My focus has been on Powerlifting lately as opposed to bodybuilding.

I had been training the last 4 weeks towards my first sanctioned powerlifting meet which I targeted as being the CAPO Waikato show which was to be held in 8 weeks time.

Unfortunately with the downfall of CAPO in Australia it looks like the comp I was prepping for may be cancelled or postponed. I knew there was an IPF comp being held locally on Saturday so on Friday night I decided I would enter it despite having just trained my bench that night :doh:

Tried to drop as much water weight as possible before weigh in at 10am saturday morning at Waikato Unirec. Weighed in at 112.8kg

The first group had about 15 lifters in it and they went through their squats. Then the second group started with me in it and there were only 5 so the pace was pretty frantic as they whipped through us as fast as possible.

I had to use my Shiek knee wraps as my regular ones were not an IPF recognised brand. I have only used them once before and didn't have a good feel for depth on them. Cleared 260kg, then 280kg but failed 300kg on depth. Over by an inch or so.

Bench was tricky because as I said I had smashed bench the night before. Passed 185 then 195 but failed to lockout 202.5kg.

I was dredding the deadlifts because they have always been my achilles heel. Opened on a 235kg because I knew that I had to get something on the board. It came up really easy. 250 flew up on my second attempt too. Decided to go for 270 which is a 2.5kg PB and that flew up pretty easy too. Happy with that but I'm pretty sure I had 280-290 in me. Nevermind. Next time I want a 300 dead anyway, land a 310-320 squat and bench closer to 210. I think a total around 810-820 would be fairly competitive.

So my total for this comp was 745kg.

Won mens u120kg class

Overall Best total

Overall highest Wilks (435.22)

Good result for first comp :grin:

It was run very professionally and everyone was very friendly. Great comp!

As I said on FB bro, nice stuff! Depth isn't far away and you will then nail that 300 squat easy. Keep up the good work and next time record your bench an deads too please lol

MM as it was a novice comp only lifters registered with NZPF would have to be subjected to testing. Novices do not get tested but you can only do one novice comp per year without being required to register with NZPF, and hence potentially be tested after that (both in and out of comp).

MM as it was a novice comp only lifters registered with NZPF would have to be subjected to testing. Novices do not get tested but you can only do one novice comp per year without being required to register with NZPF, and hence potentially be tested after that (both in and out of comp).

Does that mean you can do another novice comp without registering as long as you wait another year?

I hate to admit it Pseudonym, but throwing around big weights is my true passion more than competing on stage. I hope I can continue to do both :)

Diet MuscleNZ? Oh you must mean all those additional cheat meals I have to struggle through. Yes it is really hard :shifty:

Thanks for all your positive comments guys. This was just a first official sanctioned hit out to see where I was sitting. I'm sure I will only improve considerably from here once I get a bit more comp time under my belt and fine tune a few things. A deload week would not have gone a miss. God I'm sore all over today.

I believe you only get one IPF comp as a novice in your life, not yearly HJP so unless I stop taking banned pre workouts I am unlikely to compete in IPF again however I may consider it in the future.

Android. I know you want to do it, get your squat up and we would have a bloody good battle up there ;)

Nice work SG :nod:

Does that mean you can do another novice comp without registering as long as you wait another year?

Slight correction - the one novice rule is a lifetime rule, not on a per year basis :) Once you've done one novice comp, you are expected to sign up. It is up to your local association to keep tabs on this.

Also, OCT - to the best of my knowledge - is only performed on athletes at a certain standard.

(edit - SG beat me to it :grin:)

That is the plan Riccardo! Just wanted to see where I was 4 weeks into my powerlifting training.

In 8 weeks time my numbers should be up considerably at the Federation formerly know as Prince (CAPO) comp being held locally. I'm not trying to be arrogant but I want to be competitive for the overall national Total and represent NZ at a Oceania level or similar eventually. I've got plenty of time up my sleeve and I'm still 7kg under the class max weight so hopefully I can get there.

That is the plan Riccardo! Just wanted to see where I was 4 weeks into my powerlifting training.

In 8 weeks time my numbers should be up considerably at the Federation formerly know as Prince (CAPO) comp being held locally. I'm not trying to be arrogant but I want to be competitive for the overall national Total and represent NZ at a Oceania level or similar eventually. I've got plenty of time up my sleeve and I'm still 7kg under the class max weight so hopefully I can get there.

GPA worlds Sydney 2014, awesome target to shoot for, ESP just been over the ditch