would crossfit shoes be ok for weightlifting?

Imadeapoopsie

you might want to look more in to the shoe.. i think crossfit shoes are designed to provide some support for the olympic lifts etc. and some have the raised heel for them deep front squats. if you are not doing much of those olympic movements then not sure what your benefits would be in getting these over chucks (or even the $10 flat heel slipper shoes from the warehouse)

It depends what they're calling CrossFit shoes.... some places call minimalist shoes "CrossFit shoes" and a lot of the light, minimal shoes are not nearly as suitable for weightlifting as dedicated weightlifting shoes.

At the box I go do, the Oly lifting's all done in powerlifting shoes, mostly the Do-Win or Reh-Wui ones, but the guns (men and women) use the same Adidas PowerLift and AdiPower, Nike Romaleo and so on that the Powerlifters use.

Minimalist shoes like Inov-8 would, based on my experience, not be as stable - and if you need a raised heel for squats, they'd be much less use and you'd be better off in hi-top chucks.

Have a look at Rogue Fitness to see the difference.

• 2 weeks later...
It depends what they're calling CrossFit shoes.... some places call minimalist shoes "CrossFit shoes" and a lot of the light, minimal shoes are not nearly as suitable for weightlifting as dedicated weightlifting shoes.

At the box I go do, the Oly lifting's all done in powerlifting shoes, mostly the Do-Win or Reh-Wui ones, but the guns (men and women) use the same Adidas PowerLift and AdiPower, Nike Romaleo and so on that the Powerlifters use.

Minimalist shoes like Inov-8 would, based on my experience, not be as stable - and if you need a raised heel for squats, they'd be much less use and you'd be better off in hi-top chucks.

Have a look at Rogue Fitness to see the difference.

hm im having a tough time deciding wether i should get adipower or the nike romaleo..

i would prefer getting the adidas powerlift because of its price but since its half the price as the others would that mean its a lot less effective?

i dont want the wei rui because it says on a review it says the heel is made as one piece of rubber with no sole attached to the bottom. so resoling would be an issue down the road..

Are you thinking of using this for just a general gym shoe? Or squatting and/or oly lifting movements?

It really depends on what you're using them for as to what would be a good shoe.

i want to make sure i have a shoe that would prevent injury from heavy squat/oly lifts and at the same time for general gym (except running/cardio)

Cool man. I own a couple of pairs of the Romaleos, and while they are comfortable enough to do a lift in, they can be quite fatiguing if you are wearing them around the gym, walking from station to station for general stuff. I had the same experience to a lesser extent with the Ristos that I owned before moving up to the Romaleos. As it is now, I go to the gym in crosstrainers, swap them for the Romaleos to squat and bench in, and then change back into the crosstrainers for any assistance exercises I may be doing. The Romaleos in particular are quite a hefty shoe, and take a bit of effort to move around in.

I'd say if you are wanting something that covers all bases, you might want to look at a crossfit-specific shoe with a heel, as you initially suggested. Or do as I (and lots of others) do - go with an oly shoe for squats/oly lifts, and bring a pair of trainers for your assistance :nod:

• 3 weeks later...
Cool man. I own a couple of pairs of the Romaleos, and while they are comfortable enough to do a lift in, they can be quite fatiguing if you are wearing them around the gym, walking from station to station for general stuff. I had the same experience to a lesser extent with the Ristos that I owned before moving up to the Romaleos. As it is now, I go to the gym in crosstrainers, swap them for the Romaleos to squat and bench in, and then change back into the crosstrainers for any assistance exercises I may be doing. The Romaleos in particular are quite a hefty shoe, and take a bit of effort to move around in.

I'd say if you are wanting something that covers all bases, you might want to look at a crossfit-specific shoe with a heel, as you initially suggested. Or do as I (and lots of others) do - go with an oly shoe for squats/oly lifts, and bring a pair of trainers for your assistance :nod:

oh i didnt see youre reply sorry...

i think i mite just get the addidas powerlift shoes (since im short on cash) for squat/dedlift/oly lifts..

and use a normal sport shoe for general stuff(until i can afford an extra cross trainer)

though are you willing to sell one of youre romaleos, if theyre still good :)

Crossfit shoes are crossfit shoes. They aren't weight lifting shoes.

Crossfit shoes are as good as they can be for oly lifting while still maintaining the design and ergonomics for running, jumping and what have you which is part of crossfit.

If ur buying romaleos your buying a weight lifting shoe... Try running, skipping it box jumping in those... Not gonna happen.

The oly lifts aren't heavy in crossfit wods and if your flexible enough and have good technique they shouldn't be a problem in a standard gym shoe.

Train how your gonna fight.

Crossfit shoes are crossfit shoes. They aren't weight lifting shoes.

Crossfit shoes are as good as they can be for oly lifting while still maintaining the design and ergonomics for running, jumping and what have you which is part of crossfit.

If ur buying romaleos your buying a weight lifting shoe... Try running, skipping it box jumping in those... Not gonna happen.

The oly lifts aren't heavy in crossfit wods and if your flexible enough and have good technique they shouldn't be a problem in a standard gym shoe.

Train how your gonna fight.

i meant i want weightlifting shoes only for lifts such has squats/deads/oly lifts.

and ill be using a standard shoe for everything else that doesnt put incredible weight on ankles.

since i have an ankle injury i think its more crucial for me to get a shoe that would reduce damage on ankles.

Tom's advice is absolutely spot-on.... at the CrossFit box I go to, no-one does a metcon in lifting shoes, although they will use adiPower or RehWui for lifting (and on a 1RM day, some of them are lifting plenty heavy).

If it's ankle mobility issues, you need to consider the difference between cross-trainers, running shoes or other shoes with a heel, and lifting shoes. Lifting shoes tend to have a very solid, uncompressable heel, to give the best connection between foot and lifting platform.

Some (like the AdiPower or Rehwui) have a raise equivalent to a dress shoe, some (Metals are a case in point) are absolutely flat, with no rise from ball of foot to heel. This is important if you've got limited flexibility, as the raised, but solid heel, can help with getting to depth for squats.

Tom's advice is absolutely spot-on.... at the CrossFit box I go to, no-one does a metcon in lifting shoes, although they will use adiPower or RehWui for lifting (and on a 1RM day, some of them are lifting plenty heavy).

If it's ankle mobility issues, you need to consider the difference between cross-trainers, running shoes or other shoes with a heel, and lifting shoes. Lifting shoes tend to have a very solid, uncompressable heel, to give the best connection between foot and lifting platform.

Some (like the AdiPower or Rehwui) have a raise equivalent to a dress shoe, some (Metals are a case in point) are absolutely flat, with no rise from ball of foot to heel. This is important if you've got limited flexibility, as the raised, but solid heel, can help with getting to depth for squats.

oh exacty what i needed to know, sweet

btw when you say Rehwui, ...are you referring to Wei-Rui shoes ?

Own some Do-win and also some UGE from Undergroundelite in Aussie. Find both good but prefer the Do-win for comp. I guess it depends on what you can afford and I agree with Tom and TFB.

IMO,You may also want to consider what are deemed legal with the local lifting asscociations, if you are thinking of competing. :)

• 1 month later...
know a few crossfitters who oly lift in their bare feet for natural support and balance. wear these myself and find they are the best between both worlds - a huge difference from my old running shoes for squatting etc.. .

J88566_01?wid=570&hei=413&fmt=jpeg&qlt=92,0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=1.1,0.5,1,0

http://shop.reebok.com/us/product/men-reebok-crossfit-nano-shoes/EG302

looks like i wud prefer a little more heel height though

Own some Do-win and also some UGE from Undergroundelite in Aussie. Find both good but prefer the Do-win for comp. I guess it depends on what you can afford and I agree with Tom and TFB.

IMO,You may also want to consider what are deemed legal with the local lifting asscociations, if you are thinking of competing. :)

not sure what those are lol

Not sure why weight's an issue ?

Most of the weightlifting shoes on Rogue Fitness would be good for squats, deads, or Olympic lifts - but they'd suck for running/ cardio, and like Drizzt said

go to the gym in crosstrainers, swap them for the Romaleos to squat and bench in, and then change back into the crosstrainers for any assistance exercises.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...