Prohormone Legislation.

I post this out of interest alone,based partially on my experience and a couple of other members who have pm'd me regarding Prohormones.

they are illegal in NZ. A common statement agreed, however I can find NO actual legislation stating this fact. Sure sports bodies say its banned customs will sometimes intercept shipments from overseas. ( reported to me by another member)

However I have studied

1. the Medicines Act

2. Crimes Act

3. Misuse of drugs Act

None mention the word Prohormones at all. Not even anything near it.

Knowing the slow pace at which the govt moves on things I am not surprised, So where is the "Prohormones are illegal" statement oft repeated coming from?

Can one of you point me to the legislation ? by this I mean the Act of parliament, that writes this into LAW.

I ask this because of the questions I have been asked ( and a recent posting here that I think got banned) also because I have now found 4 reputable sites/stores that sell a particular brand of Prohormone, I have asked one of these stores and they claim they are doing nothing wrong.

So someone please point me to the point of law.

Note: I am not looking at buying any of these products, been there already and will finish off this month sometime possibly this is a request for clarification as after posting on PH's I have got a few pm's on the topic.

OK - here's my take on it - and despite attempting to research it, I may be entirely wrong. Please feel free to correct me if this is the case!

It's not that prohormones are illegal. While other countries may have recently passed laws specifically banning them, to my knowledge NZ has not. What it HAS done is classified the ingredients commonly found in prohormones as being obtainable by doctor's prescription only.

To find an ingredient's classification, visit http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Profs/class/classintro.asp

To find out more about the classification process, visit http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Profs/class/ ... rocess.htm

Cheers I have seen that website however it does not clear things up, thats why I think at the moment there are the nz sites selling the stuff, it is too vague for any legal action to be taken agains someone selling or possessing some of the more moden compunds that came out before the ban in the US. Same with some of these "cd cleaners" or whatever they were marketed as that kids were taking for a while, NZ moves very slowly to outlaw new products unless there is widespread abuse and complaints/problems from the public.

Yeah if your in doubt over a prduct then just call up medsafe. When i called them the guy was telling me the website is pretty hard to follow, and finding information is quite hard. But if you call them up they should be able to tell you something.

I dont think that prohormones are banned per say, but if you were to import a prohormone and it contained an ingredient that was on the prescription only list at medsafe then it would be confiscated.

Thats the gist i got anyway.

Just in reply in theory the stores in NZ selling prohormones are breaking the law - and the person importing them definately is since they are banned for importation unless you have a prescription, or licence to do so, with the licence only being for people intending to supply people with prescription. Prohormones have been banned for several years in NZ, yet some retailers do flout this law.

If a product is classified as a steroid in one country do you not think that there may be a reason for that. While prohormones of the past were dubious to say the least, these latest variants are so far from being a natural product, and are so synthetic that they are (or were) essentially legal steroids. They have a huge array of both negative and sometimes hopefully positive side effects. They have advanced so far over the last few years in an effort to stay ahead of the FDA. Basically the nutrition companies would bring out a product, the FDA would move to ban it, so the nutrition co's would change the chemical composition slightly, thus creating the loophole we now find in NZ where the old andro and nor-andro products are illegal, yet the latest products like Mag10 are in a grey area.

The company that was contacted and stated they weren't doing anything wrong needs to rethink some of their virtues, as they would/should clearly know that they are selling a product that isn't entirely above board.

The new laws in the states covers all prohormones, making them both illegal to possess and manufacture in much the same way as steroids, and it is only a short time before all the loopholes are closed in NZ.

Some may say this is a bad thing, but if you do a little research into the negative side effects associated with some of these prohormones, then in some cases, in my opinion anyway, it is a good thing. It will also help clarify that someone intending to call themselves natural will now not be able to feed themselves up on any of these new breeds of prohormones, and still fool themselves that they are a natural bodybuilder.

I post this out of interest alone,based partially on my experience and a couple of other members who have pm'd me regarding Prohormones.

they are illegal in NZ. A common statement agreed, however I can find NO actual legislation stating this fact. Sure sports bodies say its banned customs will sometimes intercept shipments from overseas. ( reported to me by another member).

I imagine that they were declared to be prescription medicines by a ministerial executive order pursuant to the Medicines Act. Either that or some bureaucratic scum just decided to say they were illegal one day and most other people, being weak-willed poodles perpetually searching for someone to display their bellies to, went along with it.

In practice, the notion of "laws", in the traditional sense, is largely obsolete. This is North Korea we are living in. The ruling class behaves essentially like an abusive mother. If you are within their reach and you are doing anything they whimsically decide they don't like, even in retrospect, then they'll slap you on some pretext. This is, unfortunately, the way most people want it. The ritual of passing "laws" is merely an anachronistic vestige of a previous era, so often they don't bother. The question one should ask is not "Is X 'legal'" but "How can I safely do X".

Well the aforementioned last m1t cycle will have to be put on hold, for this month anyway, as I have to leave the country for a week or so tomorrow.

A bit out of the blue but these things happen I will miss reading posts on here but hope that when I come back in a week there are pleanty of new posts to read. I should be able to log on overseas but I will be very busy I have just found out so I will be replanning this cycle when I get back.

• 4 months later...

You won't find anything referring to "prohormones" per se, but if you look under our Linkssection, you'll find a link to MedSafe. They've got a database of ingredients you can search, and you'll find that the ingredients of prohormones are classified as "prescription only".

Can't remember when they were banned in the US, but I'm sure someone here will...

Usual rule of thumb in sport supplements, if it is good they will ban it, they were looking at Creatine at one stage!!!I do agree with Flex tho and that a lot of the new pro hormones are basicly "Gear"slightly ultered molecular structures of Testosterones and Anabolics is all, digestion reconfigures the molecular structure to be effective!! so the question of if you take these products are you natural is a very valid one!!

The trick of obtaining theses products is getting them in past customs, you see customs have a huge hard on over these things, or any thing like them in sports supplements, infact they have just started a new campaighn targeting these types of personal imports, so be weary, I wouldnt worrie to much about the legal side of the equation as the cops dont wanna know about it, but you will loose your products if caught! Bummer I know as some of the new stuff is awesome(appparently) but you just cant get it past our damm customs guys, they are way to good unfortinatly, the price we pay for living on a small fragile island!!

I personally tried Mag10 twice and found it to be a very good effective product.Now bear in mind that i have been clean for over 2 1/2 years now so any boost in my basiel testosterone levels should have had a good effect on my muscle hytrophy state, which it did!! I gained weight and strengh noticebly in the second week of being on the product, basicly I found similliar results to mag10 when i had used testosterone in the past , just not as great or as effective or as retentive, but certantily noticeable in its results, I have also got simmilar results with other individuals I have had use it. I would however not reccomend it if you are useing gear as i think it would have a unledgeable effect, good to try though whilst takeing a break from a course, or looking for a good boost to your gains say once every 6-8 weeks or so.