HOT TOPIC: Cautionary tales for thoughtless gyms

It's not easy running a gym. All your members want something different and you can never please everybody. Generally gyms do a good job of catering to the majority. But every now and then one does something really dumb. Something so incredibly naive you have to wonder if the owners have ever done a workout themselves.

Give us the gossip here (but no names, please!) and we'll create a collection of

.: Cautionary tales for thoughtless gyms :.

i have been told by the maintainace guy at my gym to "not drop the weights" when i was doing incline db press. i only drop them the last 2 or 3 " to the floor. i have never ever been told anything like that from anyone else before... yes ill put them down nice and silent if you pay for my shoulders to be put back into place once they rip off :x

anoying gym cleaner that tries to clean under your feet while you train .. he got fired after about a week. i think the final straw was when he soaked the entrance way to the gym trying to clean it.. making it very slippery and some1 had to stand there telling people to be careful as they came into the gym. :grin:

other than that my gyms been really good. but there are plenty of things i could say about the gym MEMBERS :grin:

All right... I'll post mine (if I'm really honest, the whole reason I created this thread was to vent my spleen anyway!)

My gym recently had a makeover which saw the free weights area moved to another room. The beautifully repainted dumbell racks were carefully placed in front of a lovely long wall of full-length mirrors.

A trainer and I took bets on how long the mirrors would stay intact. (In fact, we were both proved wrong - they lasted at least a few months before someone threw a DB back onto the rack with too much force and too little care.)

Obviously the powers-that-be finally realised that full-length mirrors do not respond well when DB racks are in such close proximity. So they ordered change.

I arrived yesterday and saw their solution - the full-length mirrors had been removed, and replaced with smaller mirrors high above the racks and well out of the way of stray dumbells.

There was just one snag - when standing, all you could see was from chest up. When seated, everything below the eyebrows was out of sight.

How the trainers will teach good form to beginners now, I don't know -perhaps the exercises will be limited to ear-wiggles and eyebrow-raises. Certainly, there were a lot of raised eyebrows among the members yesterday...

:roll:

The only problem i have at my gym is that the dumbells are never repaired. You know how after a while the plates on them start to get loose, and the ends of the db get very worn. Ive seen a guy doing 20kg db curls and the db broke! imagine if someone was using the 50s for chest press and the db broke, hit his face....Other than that my gyms all good.

It's the old story of you get what you pay for. I have been to gyms where the equipment was old and shaby and there were problems with quality and maintanance. My current gym cost me $800+ to renew my membership(1 year). And when something is not up to standard it gets fixed and quickly. This is not overly expensive, there are cheaper gyms in the area that mates of mine go to and they are always reportig problems.

More expensive gyms do not garauntee better gear or service but it certainly goes a long way towards it.

Terrible isn't it?

There are a couple of places further away $200 cheaper or so but by the time you take into account petrol for a year time sitting in traffic. Its cheaper to go to the more expensive gym I can walk to from where I live.

Far out you guys pay alot for gym memberships. I pay $5 per week and they have about 8 different martial arts there which you can do that are included in the membership. I must admit it is far from being a lash gym, but the way is see it is... if you know what your doing then it doesnt relly matter how expensive the equipment is. It's probably not the best gym to go to if you dont really know what your doing because help is hard to find, but i spose you get what you pay for. I have paid hefty gym memberships in the past and they were really good gyms. I just find the gym i go to know works fine for me.

Yeah you guys pay through the roof! I only pay $40 a year, partly because im at the university, but evern regular membership only cost around $300 i think.

ive seen a few uni gyms. i would hate to train there aye. no serious people, poor equipment etc. maybe yours is different