Anyone know about Army/NZDF training?

FellowshipOfTheRon

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey all. I'm new to this.  Seems like a pretty old thread but I'll try my luck. 

Wanting to join the army as a rifleman only concern is the appitude test. How hard is it to pass. Dropped out of school early. By looking at the practice test online there are some pretty hard math equations. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Peace. 

@Vick21 welcome to the forums. heard from a mate that the actual fitness requirements gone up in recent years (beeptest score etc.) but kiwicannon is right with the aptitude test. if the trade is particularly competitive for that particular intake then they'll obviously pick the fittest and highest aptitude guys but the actual requirement is really low. they wont even make you do the really hard math paper unless you going in to some of the other trades in sigs particularly. as rifleman focus more on your fitness

11 hours ago, kiwicannon said:

The Army is majority Maori mate I'm pretty sure 99% of the cuzzies aint got school C math bro!

My Family are all in the forces and they aint the brightest of sparks! shiet got two cousins in SAS and mate they still count with there fingers!

Thanks mate. That's a great confidence boost for me. Mad respect to your family in the services mate. Especially the ones in the SAS. Are you also part of the defence force ?

9 hours ago, FellowshipOfTheRon said:

@Vick21 welcome to the forums. heard from a mate that the actual fitness requirements gone up in recent years (beeptest score etc.) but kiwicannon is right with the aptitude test. if the trade is particularly competitive for that particular intake then they'll obviously pick the fittest and highest aptitude guys but the actual requirement is really low. they wont even make you do the really hard math paper unless you going in to some of the other trades in sigs particularly. as rifleman focus more on your fitness

Thanks mate. Yes I've been focusing on the fitness side but not knowing there was an aptitude test to pass before you could be accepted which worried me, thought I needed some tutoring to help me pass lol 

Get some tutoring if you have forgotten it since school or don't know it. What's everyone's excuse for not doing well at it? When there are near identical mock tests available online, I don't think there is an excuse lol. Failing the appitude test is just the same as failing the fitness test, it just means you didn't apply yourself in the preparation for it. That's how I look at it anyway.

53 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

Get some tutoring if you have forgotten it since school or don't know it. What's everyone's excuse for not doing well at it? When there are near identical mock tests available online, I don't think there is an excuse lol. Failing the appitude test is just the same as failing the fitness test, it just means you didn't apply yourself in the preparation for it. That's how I look at it anyway.

agree 99%

i've had two mates fail because they were just straight up extremely thick and i could have told them at the start to not waste their time trying to study for it lol

18 hours ago, Vick21 said:

Thanks mate. That's a great confidence boost for me. Mad respect to your family in the services mate. Especially the ones in the SAS. Are you also part of the defence force ?

No mate i was going to join the Navy as a Marine Engineer being the rebel that i was at that age as ALL my family are Army...I went Part time soldier (Territorials) after getting my Trade now im just a simple Trades man with a huge mortgage, Wife who spends all our oh i mean HER money for the hell of it, and kids who drain the life force out of me yip living the dream...................yeah nah!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, 

Posted to this back in September but got bit side tracked, recently passed my fitness test=beep test press ups sit ups that was pretty easy. My first choice was armoured but failed the advanced maths test which was crazy hard. So it's either infantry or GUNNER now. I'm no spring chicken I'm nearly 31 but hey love a challenge. Next step interview has anyone got any tips for that??

15 hours ago, Bruizer said:

Hey guys, 

Posted to this back in September but got bit side tracked, recently passed my fitness test=beep test press ups sit ups that was pretty easy. My first choice was armoured but failed the advanced maths test which was crazy hard. So it's either infantry or GUNNER now. I'm no spring chicken I'm nearly 31 but hey love a challenge. Next step interview has anyone got any tips for that??

congrats on passing so far mate. i dont know how competitive those trades may be but it never hurts to overdress a bit on a job interview. look sharp and be confident. they ask a lot of questions to try and profile you as a person so it's really all about you/

you can do a quick practice here if you think it'll help you be more prepared but i wouldn't bother.. you are who are you and you'll be fine.. even people with criminal records and stuff get through.  just have a think about why you want to get in to the army , what trades you really want to do and why, where yousee yourself in 5, 10 years etc. so you aren't caught by surprise when asked those questions (same type of Qs as you would be asked in any other job interview) http://www.practiceaptitudetests.com/situational-judgement-tests/

0545 start everyday, lights out 1030. There is downtime scattered through out the day generally, not always though. You will always get "personal admin" time, this is time for you to sort your kit out but if you're switched on and get it all done quick then you can chill in this time usually.

Generally full weeks Monday through to Sunday but Sunday morning is usually a bit more chill with a chance for people to go to church. It might be different now, bare that in mind. There is a couple of breaks throughout training, usually there's a half day in taupo to do whatever you want, a visitors day at some point and there's also a midcourse break where you can go home for 2 days.  Depending on what Corp you join there's a similar program for the Corp training too 

When I was there, the first half of basic was pt at least x4 a week. First half of basic was focused on endurance running and some beastly hiit style circuits, generally running up hills in the training area for about and hour with circuit style training breaking it up a bit (ie, if you're running 3 hills you might stop atop each and do burpess/pushups/plank before carrying on) and the hiit style stuff would generally be sprints (sometimes uphill sometimes flat) with loaded carries, fireman carries, pull ups, push ups and core exercise variants with little breaks inbetween. The second half of basic was more about combat pt, so we were in uniform with webbing and boots, doing similar runs at a slower pace but instead static exercises we would be doing rope climbs, wall climbs, Jerry can carries, body drags with some bodyweight stuff thrown in. Also, pack marching was a big part of it too, so generally at least once a week there would be a hearty pack walk somewhere in the training area (carrying roughly 35kg).  It also obviously all done in waiouru at altitude so the airs a litttle thinner too..

Then there's various fitness tests through out, but you won't have to worry about them, if you train hard at pt you will smoke them. 

This all probably sounds a little daunting but you get conditioned to it pretty quickly and by the third week of basic it's just standard... and as a recruit you have to run everywhere anyway so cardio just becomes part of your soul really.