NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
FellowshipOfTheRon

Anyone know about Army/NZDF training?

good first post Samatron. welcome to nzbb and thanks for sharing your experience in this thread

[edit]

11th March - Had a pretty awesome time at the interview. Got my recommendation to go on to the next stage but apparently I've been flagged with some security clearance issues (out of my control) as I was not born in this country.. provided some extra documentation and will see how that goes in the next few days.

The Interview : I was nervous but the recruiter was very on to it and knew how to run the interview to get me talking honestly. I had initially tried to prepare by cramming in lots of history about the force but she was not interested in any of that at all. What really mattered was that I had researched the trade that I was applying for and the rest of the time she was trying to determine maturity/personality/character - stuff you can't really study for. You'll get asked questions about your life experiences, can see this being a little tricky if you are really young just out of high school as much of my answers came from experiences through Uni/at work. Interview in total took a bit over an hour.

If you are looking for advice for the interview:

- Dress sharp

- Make sure you research your trade really well

- They want to know all about how motivated you are to join so hopefully you can say talk about that

- Big emphasis on team work stuff (sports, working in group projects etc.) so if you haven't played sports in the past then perhaps you should go join a local team to start learning about team dynamics

- Research what basic is like (lots of info on this thread, they will ask you all about it to make sure you understand what you're getting in to - they prefer people who make an informed decision as there is better chance of making it through the course)

- Make sure you can hold a conversation when required and can give full answers rather than one or two words. They're not looking for you to talk for hours but the more you tell them, the easier it is for them to judge your character and better your chances will be of going through (also they'll see you are confident, unless you are talking crap.)

- Know yourself. Think about important situations in your life like times when you've had moral/ethical dilemmas or other troubles and how/why you've over come them

- Good luck and if you read this thread, join NZUncleSamBB and let us know how you get on!

Anyway, I think I've done all I can now as far as influencing my chances of getting in, rest is up to my security clearance (no convictions so should be OK but apparently where i was born the govt. really sucks at processing those) and the selection board. Will update hopefully when I get an offer of service :grin:

good first post Samatron. welcome to nzbb and thanks for sharing your experience in this thread

[edit]

11th March - Had a pretty awesome time at the interview. Got my recommendation to go on to the next stage but apparently I've been flagged with some security clearance issues (out of my control) as I was not born in this country.. provided some extra documentation and will see how that goes in the next few days.

The Interview : I was nervous but the recruiter was very on to it and knew how to run the interview to get me talking honestly. I had initially tried to prepare by cramming in lots of history about the force but she was not interested in any of that at all. What really mattered was that I had researched the trade that I was applying for and the rest of the time she was trying to determine maturity/personality/character - stuff you can't really study for. You'll get asked questions about your life experiences, can see this being a little tricky if you are really young just out of high school as much of my answers came from experiences through Uni/at work. Interview in total took a bit over an hour.

If you are looking for advice for the interview:

- Dress sharp

- Make sure you research your trade really well

- They want to know all about how motivated you are to join so hopefully you can say talk about that

- Big emphasis on team work stuff (sports, working in group projects etc.) so if you haven't played sports in the past then perhaps you should go join a local team to start learning about team dynamics

- Research what basic is like (lots of info on this thread, they will ask you all about it to make sure you understand what you're getting in to - they prefer people who make an informed decision as there is better chance of making it through the course)

- Make sure you can hold a conversation when required and can give full answers rather than one or two words. They're not looking for you to talk for hours but the more you tell them, the easier it is for them to judge your character and better your chances will be of going through (also they'll see you are confident, unless you are talking crap.)

- Know yourself. Think about important situations in your life like times when you've had moral/ethical dilemmas or other troubles and how/why you've over come them

- Good luck and if you read this thread, join NZUncleSamBB and let us know how you get on!

Anyway, I think I've done all I can now as far as influencing my chances of getting in, rest is up to my security clearance (no convictions so should be OK but apparently where i was born the govt. really sucks at processing those) and the selection board. Will update hopefully when I get an offer of service :grin:

Nice going FellowshipOfTheRon hope you get in, the Army will teach you things you never knew about yourself and you will meet friends for life. Some of my mate's I haven't seen for over ten years but when we talk on the phone it's a bond you can't break ONWARD :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :

Cheers shane, Onward! :grin:

Oh yeah, FellowshipOfTheRon, if you don't mind me asking, are you an April intake applicant, or are you a July one like me?

Hey how'd the interview go? Might see you 'round in the near future :nod:

Just heard back about mine, apparently it was good but turns out I'm in the July one not the April one as I thought earlier.. apparently won't hear back from them now until 2nd~3rd week of May when they do the selection stuff. Lots of time now to train and get used to blisters & stuff :pfft:

All good advice there about getting in, but you need also to consider what you want to do when you get out!

Not many last a life time and unless you want to become a mercenary not a lot of call for riflemen!

true that you will learn other skills and traits that will stand you in good stead with potential future employers.

By this I am saying consider a trade or skill ie engineers that has more readily transferable skills/qualifications.

I know somebody who went to Bosnia as a peacekeeper back in the day and on return to Nz found it boring as so tried taking up a trade but copped so much flak from the squad about wanting to change he gave up on the idea and within 2 years was out in the real world!

All good advice there about getting in, but you need also to consider what you want to do when you get out!

Not many last a life time and unless you want to become a mercenary not a lot of call for riflemen!

true that you will learn other skills and traits that will stand you in good stead with potential future employers.

By this I am saying consider a trade or skill ie engineers that has more readily transferable skills/qualifications.

I know somebody who went to Bosnia as a peacekeeper back in the day and on return to Nz found it boring as so tried taking up a trade but copped so much flak from the squad about wanting to change he gave up on the idea and within 2 years was out in the real world!

Good point.

Congratulations on your interview being a success!

I had mine a couple weeks ago, and was told that my scores on the written tests were higher than what was needed for a Rifleman, and that Intelligence might be a good alternative. I'd considered it before, but there's no information about kiwi intelligence operators online, so I didn't want to commit to something I knew nothing about.

The interviewer filled me in on the trade a lot, and it actually sounds right up my alley (would still like to be a Rifleman too though). She said that the selection board will consider me for both Intelligence Operator and Rifleman, and then give me their final decision. Apparently I'll hear back from them in early June. Hoping for good news.

Until then, I'll keep training. My family has an ex-military guy and his girlfriend staying on our farm for a few days, and he's been giving me lots of advice on how to prepare. Some of it sounds like what has been said earlier in the thread.

haha yeah my interviewer said same stuff to me and recommended me for a couple other trades i didn't even apply for she said smarter guys stick out and are called nerds and stuff lol.. made it sound real tempting but i think i'll be sticking with rifleman for now, want to experience that life for a bit before switching over to something more relevant to my degree

hey man good advice. i'm looking at doing exactly that, just doing RFman for a couple years then changing over.

was it just the social pressure keeping that guy changing trades or something more to it? i've been told by several recruiters that you can change trades (though it might be a bit of time to get all the approvals/recommendations) later on down the track and shouldn't be too hard for me given my qualifications and test results.

After your done your Basic All Arm's, all the Infantry go to Burnham to the Depot Company for another 12 weeks I think it is. You do all your training to get in to the Infantry at the end of the training you have a March out Parade you get given your Red Diamond which you have finally earn't and then you can wear your Corps Belt this a very special moment and one you will remember for a life time. It's very hard when your in the Battalion to leave because the Battalion becomes your family and you do anything and everything for your Battalion family. Once you get in you will know what I mean all the guys who have ever served in 1st or 2/1 Battalion know exactly what I'm talking about. ONWARD

On basic you'll learn heaps about the different trades you didn't even know about. some you'll think wow cool, other aspects you'll think that doesn't. You'll learn heaps about the army and army life after basic too. It's all good info and helps you to make an informed decision. You think you know lots now but once you down there you'll realise your recruiter didn't tell you much.

You can trade change on basic too, so say u went to basic to become a rifleman afterwards and ur mate went down as intel. Well your mate left and u have interest in intel trade. Depending on the requirements of each corp you may be able to change or swap around. Everyone learns sane shit in basic so ur just a recruit not a rifleman or an electrical fitter etc until you leave. So changing not a problem.

As said earlier re the qualifications afterwards. The army's good but it's not what it used to be... There are so many more opportunities in 2013 than what their user to be. The army's benefits aren't nearly as good as what they were either. If your looking at a trade, you just have to weigh it up weather the shit you put up with in there to get it and then your return of service is worth it in comparison to getting the same thing in the real world. That answer will be different for everyone. But it's no good leaving there in 5-10 years and all you got is a first aid certificate. You don't get rich in the army so think ahead would be my advice.

Also when you go to a function you don't have have a alcoholic drink either. You will have a Section function, a Platoon Function Company Function, or Battalion Function these a place of parades meaning you have to go no matter what. Drinking is involved you don't have to drink but like most things you end up getting smashed :grin:

Another suggestion for anyone joining up. I highly recommend getting a sewing awl, one of the greatest pieces of kit for fixing issues in packs, webbing etc. Since the NZ defense force can be very stingy when it comes to exchanges of kit with minor issues, this can help things before they turn to shit. Also very handy for just keeping everything snug and fit(modifying your own kit).

Most likely you won't be doing any adjustments to your kit during basic, but it can be a useful piece of equipment to have in the field with you in case of a tear, breakage etc. If your commander is infantry most likely he will carry one in his kit anyway, but its always handy to have one yourself.

XTZzV.jpg

Small instructional video showing how it works.

I used to completely sew up my webbing pouches to my belt so when I ran it didnt all jump around. I think everyone has changed to vests and the old belt webbing has been dropped, so this isnt an issue anymore.

Also start learning to sew now if you don't know how. Minor tears in clothing will need to be fixed, and you won't always be able to visit the seamstress to get it fixed.

Good piece of kit pyro a must have, I think they have all the gucci kit now days and don't have to do much to it not like us mexican's (2/1) who changed every thing :grin:

Good piece of kit pyro a must have, I think they have all the gucci kit now days and don't have to do much to it not like us mexican's (2/1) who changed every thing :grin:

Yea I ended up buying my own chest rig, but had my belt rig as well all sewed up looking beautiful. Got issued a chest rig about 6-7 months before I got out as well. Just as I decide its time to get out they bring in all the fancy gear, bloody typical. :doh:

OK just got back from my Induction day / pre-basic fitness test (RFL) and suppose I better wrap up this story with a happy little ending.

Cliffs - I made it through, going off to basic on 8th July :gunfire: :dancing:

First up, thanks again to all the wonderful people here who have offered up a plethora of very useful advice - I assure you it wasn't/won't be all for nothing :nod:

I've taken the wise words from here and also asked around other people and everyone confirms once you're in infantry it's kinda hard to switch so I'm just gonna go in to the trade that I wanna work with that has chances for a real career path. Guess I won't get to find out about the exciting life of a Rifleman but they say Information Systems Operators/Systems Engineers have pretty good deployment rates regardless of combat situation so looking forward to that!

-----

P.S. Below this is boring info for most, only bother to read if you're looking for more information about this process (joining as an NZDF (specifically Army) Soldier). I'm just putting in some detail here because I was always very curious and like to plan way ahead of stuff but couldn't find any of that online... here it is and good luck to any future applicants!

Topics covered here:

-Medical Stuff

- Offer of Service

- Security Vetting

-Induction Day + Final Fitness Test (before AARC)

Now to continue where I left off....

OK in the last post I had just finished the interview.

-Medical Stuff

Some time after that, they sent me some info to go do a full medical - in Auckland I went to the Army Medical Clinic out in Grey Lynn area who conducted all three components - general health, vision and hearing.

Before you go off to the army doc, you have to take in this form confirming all the vaccinations you've had (or haven't). I was born in a foreign country, kind of didn't understand some of the stuff on my childhood papers so went to the GP to help me fill this out. If you don't understand any of this, don't be a goof. It's pretty easy to trick up this form and say you're all vaccinated up but in the end it's you who will suffer if you get malaria or HIV or something. Don't be afraid to put in 'no I haven't had this, this this or this'. The army docs will read this information and decide whether you need to do something (at your own expense) or whether they'll sort you out themselves once you're in. For this reason it's important to apply early if you're thinking of joining - some vaccinations you'll need to do in a few phases and they may not let you enter until it's all complete

Now the stuff at the army doc :

- General health you go in a private room with a doctor, have to get down to your underwear (I heard you had to get fully nude at the start so was pretty distressed lol, this is assurance for you that it's not the case if you are feeling uneasy about that stage!).. he pokes around the stomach area I guess checking for hernia or whatever then gets you to do pushups, body-weight squats and lastly some basic mobility stuff (touch your left shoulder with left palm, balance on tiptoes etc. Other than that he does the usual doctor stuff checks ears, in the mouth, checks your breathing and all that. You also have to take a bunch of stuff

- Vision : Straight forward, you look in to this strange machine and read stuff out loud to the guy. There is also some colour perception stuff - The scores you need depends on your trade.. I think some trades especially stuff like driver require you to not have any problems with colours. It was my first time doing one of these and at first the guy thought I was blind lol... yes you have to press your head against the thing otherwise nothing shows up. Your vision doesn't have to be perfect but I suppose very dependant on trade, I know guys who got through to the Induction day at least some of which had glasses on (so they passed all this)

- Hearing : You put headphones on, the guy turns a machine on, you press a switch every time you hear some beeping noises. This is very important that you are familiar with what to expect. The room that the testing was done in was (IMO) kind of 'against' you.. there was a inkjet printer there making a series of beeping sounds and the headphones aren't noise cancelling. There were staff there talking pretty loudly just outside too (why is the hearing testing station right next to reception lol). I'm not deaf but my hearing isn't perfect either (play electric guitar sometimes too loud), probably would have failed if hadn't prepared. Preparation I done was by downloading a hearing test app on my mobile phone and using a couple different headphones (one cheapass earplug and one cheapass headphone).

You also provide a urine sample at that stage but I think that one is used just for checking your health or something.. eventually you'll sign this paper that says you're liable to submit a urine sample upon entering basic and then at any random time after as requested. This is to test for recreational drugs but they will also test for the 'other' stuff if you suddenly gained 10~20 kg lol (apparently it's expensive to test for that).

After that you just have to wait until whenever your selection process is.

- Offer of Service

If the medical was all good then after the selection process you get a call from the recruiter and you'll be emailed a bunch of stuff including an 'Offer of Service' and requests to fill in stuff like bank account numbers, ird info online. Congrats!

* It's all provisional at this stage on you passing the 'EFL', getting security clearance and passing urinalysis tests.

* You don't sign the offer of service yet, it hapens on the induction day

- Security Vetting

Your recruiter/candidate co-ordinator will let you know when to expect this, once you get it (comes from NZSIS) fill it out ASAP. Depending on what trade you choose you could end up not being eligible for it because you were too lazy to fill it out or some other trades which require more basic clearance - after you pass AARC and head to your main job you will NOT be able to touch weapons, comms equipment etc. until it's sorted (and it takes a couple months apparently) .. it's a beast of an application form (like 30+ pages) so better go do it now and provide reliable referees who you can count on to respect the urgency if your clearance form asks for them.

-Induction Day + Final Fitness Test (before AARC)

Your candidate co-ordinator will email you an invitation to this event, you can bring family if you want.

-Starts off with some administration work (you show bankstatements/Tax papers to prove it's all legit numbers), sign the offer of service, fill kiwisaver and IRD forms.

-You get an Army official go through a series of slideshows with you and your family, they address a lot of concerns which people may have and tell you all about what to expect (mainly it's all the youtube videos which you can find on their YT page http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialNZarmy). It is all very formal, nothing like in the movies where the guy yells at you and calls you trash (or at least for now? lol) and if your family is not so supportive about it yet then bring them along they will have their chance to see what it's all about and ask questions.

-Straight after all this we headed out to Victoria Park for the fitness test. This is our first formal introduction to the armys RFL test (which they conduct every 6 months I beleive and you have to pass at least on a G2 level once you're in).. it's a 2.4km run, pushups straight 1minute later then curlups a little after that. At this stage you actually only have to pass at EFL level but go for gold, they want to see you going to failure on everything to show you've got spirit. Specific information on passing rates for Army can be found here : http://www.defencecareers.mil.nz/army/j ... quirements

* Note that while on the Assessment day you had to do Navy Style Curlups (atleast 30 - http://youtu.be/97g-dEDoMFw), on the Army RFL you are expected to do the Army Curlups which are significantly easier but you may as well throw in some of these in to your workouts anyway to get used to the form.. as Tomsammace said, repetition is the key to success. Video of the army style curlups can be found here :

; note that you don't go up as high, hands remain on the ground the whole time and any reps where you are swinging wildly do not count (don't ask me how I found out :P) but in saying that, if you intend to max out your score on this (130 is max) get used to doing it in a fast but controlled way isolating the core - slow reps might not get you your best score keep in mind you might still be a little puffed (depending on your preparation work at this point) after the run/pushups.

Once the tests are done, you'll be given a little word of congratulations from the testers and you can now go home and proudly tell your friends and family that you've made it.

That's all for now, will edit in if I missed anything.

Anyway, hope all that helps someone some day. Can't wait for my Basic (aka AARC) 16 weeks in Waiouru.. apparently it's gonna snow hard :D

Regards,

FelloshipOfTheUncleSamRon