NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
FellowshipOfTheRon

Anyone know about Army/NZDF training?

u didnt come off as cocky dw lol. i believe it now anyway. but yeah, to me its an impressive time for a big dude.

maybe im wrong but imo skinny dudes def have advantage in 1.5km+.

im def not huge or anything, but i personally think itd be advantagous (from a runners POV) for me to lose some upper body muscle

I'm not big anymore I weigh 93kg, Iv sacrificed a lot of my squat to get that time and strength in general. 50kg drop in my squat, 30kg off the deadlift and 30kg off the bench press and that's a drop in 12kg from when I was At my biggest, strongest and unfittest so not that bad considering..

Still probably big and strong to some ppls standards but not to bodybuilders who compete. Everything comes at a cost.

That's why crossfit and the best guys in the world are so amazing when u consider what weights they are using, reps they are doing and times they are doing for certain things. It takes a lot of work to be crossfit and great at everything.

I don't think people can appreciate it until they try and get maximal gain on X while trying to minimise loss on Y. It's hard.

Pretty much what android posted before. Only things I have to add is 10m30 is the standard tier 2 time for the youngest age group. As you get older your time can be slower(Don't think this applies to you though). You want to be aiming far lower than 10m30, from memory tier 1 timing which is required for any deployments was 10m flat.

Don't go in with the bare minimum to pass, you will get destroyed during basic training(depending on what you join up as, Infantry gets beasted far more than any other corp). Try to aim for under the 9m30 mark min, but also mix up your runs adding in a few long distance runs, running with weights, remembering you will be doing battle type runs in gear including rifles weighing in around 5kgs, plus the extra weight of webbing, 2 full water bottles etc.

Waiouru is also at a much higher altitude than places like Auck/Wgtn/chch etc so expect to drop about 20secs of your run time for the RFL due to the thinner air killing your respiratory system a little more.

Was in the Infantry for almost 5 years so any questions hit me up here or PM me. Its been a few years since I got out but not too much has changed. Happy to help out with a few little pointers to make your life a little easier during basic, and your training leading up to it.

p.s. Tom only 8mins30? Slow f*cker :P

I remember fondly of being in the butts party, Targets Up Targets Down great memories. My best time for RFL was 9.18mins and that was after a big night on the grog :grin:

There's no way tomatosauce runs 8:30 over 2.4km. No way at all.

Oh hi russel

u didnt come off as cocky dw lol. i believe it now anyway. but yeah, to me its an impressive time for a big dude.

maybe im wrong but imo skinny dudes def have advantage in 1.5km+.

im def not huge or anything, but i personally think itd be advantagous (from a runners POV) for me to lose some upper body muscle

I'm not big anymore I weigh 93kg, Iv sacrificed a lot of my squat to get that time and strength in general. 50kg drop in my squat, 30kg off the deadlift and 30kg off the bench press and that's a drop in 12kg from when I was At my biggest, strongest and unfittest so not that bad considering..

Still probably big and strong to some ppls standards but not to bodybuilders who compete. Everything comes at a cost.

That's why crossfit and the best guys in the world are so amazing when u consider what weights they are using, reps they are doing and times they are doing for certain things. It takes a lot of work to be crossfit and great at everything.

I don't think people can appreciate it until they try and get maximal gain on X while trying to minimise loss on Y. It's hard.

Yeah right on, definitely starting to develop a much better appreciation/respect for those top 'fit + big + strong' Xfitters

Pretty much what android posted before. Only things I have to add is 10m30 is the standard tier 2 time for the youngest age group. As you get older your time can be slower(Don't think this applies to you though). You want to be aiming far lower than 10m30, from memory tier 1 timing which is required for any deployments was 10m flat.

Don't go in with the bare minimum to pass, you will get destroyed during basic training(depending on what you join up as, Infantry gets beasted far more than any other corp). Try to aim for under the 9m30 mark min, but also mix up your runs adding in a few long distance runs, running with weights, remembering you will be doing battle type runs in gear including rifles weighing in around 5kgs, plus the extra weight of webbing, 2 full water bottles etc.

Waiouru is also at a much higher altitude than places like Auck/Wgtn/chch etc so expect to drop about 20secs of your run time for the RFL due to the thinner air killing your respiratory system a little more.

Was in the Infantry for almost 5 years so any questions hit me up here or PM me. Its been a few years since I got out but not too much has changed. Happy to help out with a few little pointers to make your life a little easier during basic, and your training leading up to it.

p.s. Tom only 8mins30? Slow f*cker :P

Cheers, good to see some more people here who've been there and done it :nod: Yup I'm definitely taking it seriously and aiming to be among the top of the pack rather than with the group that barely passes. Even better if I can pass that '100 club' level but probably gonna need a lot more focused training time for that.

100 club : 2.4k@8mins, 130 curls, 55 pressups
Was in the Infantry for almost 5 years so any questions hit me up here or PM me.

Thanks for offering, I do have some questions to start with

* What kind of form do you use for those curlups/situps - I can do plenty with ease when legs are held down by something because of the help of hip flexors but wondering whether NZ Army might require you to do them without legs pinned down (which I find a fair bit harder at the moment)?

* Is there also a time limit for the situps/pushups?

* Are the pushup/situps parts before or after the run?

* Am I also going to have to do some kind of beep test to get through?

* What kind of form do you use for those curlups/situps - I can do plenty with ease when legs are held down by something because of the help of hip flexors but wondering whether NZ Army might require you to do them without legs pinned down (which I find a fair bit harder at the moment)?

The sit ups are pathetic really, don't think ive seen anyone ever fail them. They are a half(really quarter) crunch's where your hands are flat on the ground and have to pass a certain point(which means only your hands move a few inches). Don't worry about these anyone that is in any sort of decent shape will pass easily.

No time limit for the sit ups or push ups, which are both done after the run. The push ups just have to be done in a continuous motion, so no stopping mid way through the set resting for 4-5 secs. Obviously they give you a little room for pauses especially if you are pushing out your last couple. Main thing to remember on the push ups is to go right down to the ground with your elbows at 90 degrees. Failing to do that you will pump out 3-4 and you will here the Pt standing over top of you counting 9, 10, 11, 11, 11, 11....... sucks pumping out a shitload only to have some not count. Seen many guys fail because of that. Again im sure you won't have any issues passing this, even the 100 club isnt too bad for this side of it, the hardest is the run time.

No beep test, only other required fitness tests are a pack march and the swim test.

Pack march is 12kms in under 1hr50m? Can't remember exact timing. The pack march is generally towards the middle of the 3month basic, after your first field exercise when you walk back to camp. So you will have a bit of time marching around camp getting used to your boots and the weight on your back. The weight is only light, 25-30kgs but if your pack isnt set up properly and isnt sitting right while you are first starting out, prepare to be sore as hell.

Swim test is 2mins treading water? then a couple of laps in the pool in your DPMs(trousers and shirt).

Don't quote me on those exact timings and distance, its been a while since I got out so things may have changed, and my memory's pretty shit. So you may want to ring up one of the army recruit centres and just confirm the above. But they should be very similar to what I posted.

Ill do a write up later on tonight when I have a bit more time on some things you might want to buy and a few things to help out before heading down.

The sit ups are pathetic really, don't think ive seen anyone ever fail them. They are a half(really quarter) crunch's where your hands are flat on the ground and have to pass a certain point(which means only your hands move a few inches). Don't worry about these anyone that is in any sort of decent shape will pass easily.

No time limit for the sit ups or push ups, which are both done after the run. The push ups just have to be done in a continuous motion, so no stopping mid way through the set resting for 4-5 secs. Obviously they give you a little room for pauses especially if you are pushing out your last couple. Main thing to remember on the push ups is to go right down to the ground with your elbows at 90 degrees. Failing to do that you will pump out 3-4 and you will here the Pt standing over top of you counting 9, 10, 11, 11, 11, 11....... sucks pumping out a shitload only to have some not count. Seen many guys fail because of that. Again im sure you won't have any issues passing this, even the 100 club isnt too bad for this side of it, the hardest is the run time.

No beep test, only other required fitness tests are a pack march and the swim test.

Pack march is 12kms in under 1hr50m? Can't remember exact timing. The pack march is generally towards the middle of the 3month basic, after your first field exercise when you walk back to camp. So you will have a bit of time marching around camp getting used to your boots and the weight on your back. The weight is only light, 25-30kgs but if your pack isnt set up properly and isnt sitting right while you are first starting out, prepare to be sore as hell.

Swim test is 2mins treading water? then a couple of laps in the pool in your DPMs(trousers and shirt).

Don't quote me on those exact timings and distance, its been a while since I got out so things may have changed, and my memory's pretty shit. So you may want to ring up one of the army recruit centres and just confirm the above. But they should be very similar to what I posted.

Ill do a write up later on tonight when I have a bit more time on some things you might want to buy and a few things to help out before heading down.

Thanks a lot, that is a lot of very valuable information so far :D

I'm a little frightened about that swimming test because I can't swim properly (sort of can but always sink) without a board of some kind to keep me afloat. My gym has a pool so I'll get on to it, is it laps of a full on olympic sized pool? That part isn't timed is it?

damn found a video of the situps on their online training thing. i've been doing mostly 8~15 rep range ab work for ages focusing on the contraction so finding it difficult to move to something like this where it should be more explosive with 60+ reps. nothing to do but to do it i suppose.

Went on 4.4km run yesterday, speed and confidence on the runs getting better. Route included fair bit of hills and ended up completing it in 28 mins. Had legs day today but shortened it a lot by cutting down sets/weight, increasing rep range and less rest time. First time in ages that I was done in less than 30mins but legs still feel absolutely wasted. Gonna go on a flatter route run later tonight after getting in couple more meals and see if I can up the pace from yesterday.

I used to have some strong coffee before workouts but have also cut those out since yesterday because I won't be able to count on the help of those in the AARC.

Found some videos on improving running technique too, spotted a few errors I've been making such as over striding and not optimally using spring tension. Will be interesting to put those lessons to use. Links for anyone interested : http://on.aol.com/video/an-introduction ... g-29683878

You run around the road in Burnham was down past the back of camp then through the housing area, Waiberia I cant remember was so long ago but a lot harder because of the altitude.

Struggling to find a very flat route so went on one involving elevation again today.. next time I'll just run to the park and do laps around the rugby field. No problems with training on grass right?

Anyway, managed to up my speed from yesterday (only slightly though) - 2.6km in 15 mins, avg. speed of 10km/h (need to get up to about 18 I think to 2.4km within 8mins or 14.4 in 10mins). Aerobic system seems to be doing better but lower body (particularly calves and hamstrings) were definitely suffering the after effects of the legs workout today. Might just do a light walk tomorrow to let things recover before hitting up the next session. Stretched out and quads/hams doing OK but calves still burning after the shower and weird feeling on the shins/ankles.

Good work on chucking some hills in there bro- it will stand you in good stead on the flatter tracks. Is the test done cross-country or on a track?

Cheers, I sure hope so but then again, after I go up I gotta go downhill to get home so that makes the return trip easier/faster potentially influencing the time.

You run around the road in Burnham was down past the back of camp then through the housing area, Waiberia I cant remember was so long ago but a lot harder because of the altitude.

Hey man is the actual entry test out at camp too? I was hoping they would conduct it somewhere closer to home or something.. Waiorou apparently 880m above sea level big difference from Aucklands 0~200m elevation.

Entry test to get into the Army is done by recruiter in your local town/city. Just keep what your doing and throw in some circuit training as well the fitter the better :grin:

Sorry for the late reply, got caught up last night and only just got home now.

Will chuck up some stuff tomorrow.

Was at 1bn Shane. V-coy then over at recon/snipers.

FOTR - those curl ups u posted are navy, army ones are different.

What stage are u up to in ur application?

U will have to do the beep test yes.

Basically how it works is like this:

- u apply, u do a basic convictions security clearance on you.

- u sit an aptitude test which is maths, English, some general knowledge and problem solving

- u do a fitness test. This is the first fitness test and everyone who now apples does this first it's part of the new joint tri services recruiting army, airforce, navy will do this both RF and TF. It's basically the navy MSFT (multi stage fitness test) it is the beep test, press ups and lastly curl ups the same ones in the video they are much harder than the army curl ups but ur required to do less of them.

- you'll then have an interview with a recruiter.

- you will have a full medical, hearing and vision test.

- after this u will be selected and told u are in.

- u will attend a pre entry briefing where u will meet others who are going to be on your AARC (basic training) they will give u the low down on what's expected of you down there and what u can expect.

- on that same night u will do an EFL (entry fitness level) test. This is a watered down version of the army RFL. Time for the run is like 12mins, 15 press ups and like 30 curl ups (army style). It's a piece of piss.

- you'll then do a full security clearance online with the NZSIS.

- then you'll begin your basic.

So you don't actually have to do a proper army RFL to get into basic training.

Hope that clears it up for u so u can best prepare for each test. The standards aren't out of reach and you don't need to be the fittest and fastest rabbit to pass them. Just work hard, be consistent and you will improve rapidly.

Fitness is something you can control, be for when you get down there so that's one thing you don't need to worry about. It'll be pretty formal and full on down there for 16 weeks. The ppl who go in unfit will overall find the course difficult.

Good luck with your application.

FOTR - those curl ups u posted are navy, army ones are different.

What stage are u up to in ur application?

U will have to do the beep test yes.

Basically how it works is like this:

- u apply, u do a basic convictions security clearance on you.

- u sit an aptitude test which is maths, English, some general knowledge and problem solving

- u do a fitness test. This is the first fitness test and everyone who now apples does this first it's part of the new joint tri services recruiting army, airforce, navy will do this both RF and TF. It's basically the navy MSFT (multi stage fitness test) it is the beep test, press ups and lastly curl ups the same ones in the video they are much harder than the army curl ups but ur required to do less of them.

- you'll then have an interview with a recruiter.

- you will have a full medical, hearing and vision test.

- after this u will be selected and told u are in.

- u will attend a pre entry briefing where u will meet others who are going to be on your AARC (basic training) they will give u the low down on what's expected of you down there and what u can expect.

- on that same night u will do an EFL (entry fitness level) test. This is a watered down version of the army RFL. Time for the run is like 12mins, 15 press ups and like 30 curl ups (army style). It's a piece of piss.

- you'll then do a full security clearance online with the NZSIS.

- then you'll begin your basic.

So you don't actually have to do a proper army RFL to get into basic training.

Hope that clears it up for u so u can best prepare for each test. The standards aren't out of reach and you don't need to be the fittest and fastest rabbit to pass them. Just work hard, be consistent and you will improve rapidly.

Fitness is something you can control, be for when you get down there so that's one thing you don't need to worry about. It'll be pretty formal and full on down there for 16 weeks. The ppl who go in unfit will overall find the course difficult.

Good luck with your application.

Thanks for this Tom, this really does clear up a fair bit.

I'm in very early stages, have submitted my info for the initial medical/security clearance and waiting to hear back. I believe the intake date when I applied was around April.

Pretty excited about the whole thing to say the least, fingers crossed I pass whatever criteria they may have to get selected to go through to AARC.

Wasn't sure what kind of stuff they'd test for medical so I went to the doctor ended up getting a paper for a full bloods/piss test so that if there is anything out of place, I can sort it out before the military medical.

I'm guessing since they take a lot of guys in from high school that the maths/english test isn't that hard out right? I'll study some of the basics anyway to be safe though despite coming out of Uni with a BCS, I've never had to apply any of that crap

Hmm.. beep test. Anything I should do particularly to prepare for this or will the running (combination of 5km & 2.4km days) be enough?

The aptitude tests start off basic and get more difficult as the paper progresses. U have a set time for it. There will be different pass rates for different trades, so a tech trade would need to score higher than a combat trade.

The MSFT min standard is 7.1 on the beep test. To get 7.1 you just need to have some base if fitness. It's easy, but they want u to max out on all tests so don't just stop after uv hit the minimum. It's competitive to get in these days. For the last intake they had 150 applicants for rifleman trade alone and they took 30 for the AARC. So every test matters and score as highly as u can.

As the beep test progresses it gets faster so turning and explosive sprinting off the mark will help you. If your shit at turning quickly or have have no power in ur legs to get going you will have to make up for it in the 20m run.

U can buy beep test CDs for f*ck all or probably download it from iTunes and the spacing is two cones/lines 20m apart. Learning the timing of the beeps and timing your runs perfectly so you hit the line right on the beep is the best way to save energy. If u get to the line and are waiting got the beep your going too fast.

What trade are you applying for?

Wow, only 30 out of 150 I had no idea that it was that competitive!

Thanks that's a good idea will look in to beep test apps or something to try max out on this as well as all the other stuff to make the cut.

I'd been looking for a while and didn't find Info. Systems Operator (seems to fit most in line with my degree) in the intakes list on the site so applying with my backup choice of Rifleman as it seems a lot more interesting anyway and seems like they could be more likely to get on the deployments.

Should one be able to swim for entry to Army? Or is that just for the Navy?

It helps if you know how to swim but not a major. if you become a grunt do it for a few years then change corps and get a trade I wish I had done that before I got out. :cry:

Wow, only 30 out of 150 I had no idea that it was that competitive!

Thanks that's a good idea will look in to beep test apps or something to try max out on this as well as all the other stuff to make the cut.

I'd been looking for a while and didn't find Info. Systems Operator (seems to fit most in line with my degree) in the intakes list on the site so applying with my backup choice of Rifleman as it seems a lot more interesting anyway and seems like they could be more likely to get on the deployments.

Should one be able to swim for entry to Army? Or is that just for the Navy?

Cool bro that's awesome!

Swimming isn't a prerequisite to joining the army, there is no swimming test for entry.

There isn't even a swimming test for the navy lol only if you are applying to join as a diver u will do a back kick test with fins on. There is no actual swimming test.

The police are the only service who have a swimming test in their recruitment stage. Also the SAS does if you apply as a civvy before u can do selection.

Few things you may want to buy to make life easier during basic.

-Gas burner similar to this. You want to keep it small and compact. Preferably one that folds up and comes with a case.

http://www.equipoutdoors.co.nz/contents ... Stove.html

-Small frying pan, the stuff they gave you when I was in was shit. Something with a folding handle

http://www.equipoutdoors.co.nz/contents ... p1292.html

-Decent pair of running shoes(no flashy colours, try for plain white so its not noticeable you arent using issued shoes). You will be issued some, but may not like them. I used my own since I had been running with them for some time and was comfortable with them.

-Iron (good quality) - This is a must in camp, otherwise you will be stuck with the shit crap cheap ones they have in the barracks along with having to wait for other people which is something you don't want to do as you will often be pushed for time.

- Pack of small zip lock bags, cover in black race tape, to take off the shine. Helps to protect maps, notebooks, pens, lighters etc from rain/river crossings swimming :P

-Set of small precision screwdrivers. Extremely handy when having to clean your rifle.

Obviously things like the zip lock bags, screw drivers aren't essential, they are just handy things to make life a little easier.

Will add items to this post as I remember things that can be helpful.

If you have any work boots, you may want to start going for long walks in them so you harden up your feet as not to get blisters when you go for pack marches. Pumas also works to harden up your feet, as does walking on the beach. If you have or can borrow a camping back pack load it up and start walking with that as well, 20-30 kgs doesnt sound like much but if you aren't used to long distance walks carrying gear it can be a little painful first few times.

Learn how to iron properly before going down, you will get hammered on any little creases in clothing.

This will sound stupid, but learn to shave properly, slight stubble will f*ck you over, this is a favorite for a lot of NCO's to pick up on.

Like I said before ill keep adding small things as I remember them, both items to acquire and things to work on before and during your basic.

p.s. Good post from Tom before on the requirements. The beep test must be something relatively new as we didnt have it when I was in. Work on your swimming though, as you will have to pass the test during the basic, so the more swimming you can get in now if you are an avg swimmer, the better.

Go to the chemist and get surgical meths they use it for for when you get your ears pierced use cotton wool and rub this on the back of your heals helps to harden them up for when you do route marches. If you get blisters your buggered takes a while for them to heal

Just received confirmation that I'm going to the next stage - aptitude/fitness tests at 8.30am :shock: Got way less time to prepare for it than I thought though, 26th Feb! Even more motivation to keep going hard though.

They are asking for weird things though like my high school reports and record of learning instead of my Uni grades lol... at least that should work in my favor because I got heaps lazier since then :pfft:

Cool bro that's awesome!

Swimming isn't a prerequisite to joining the army, there is no swimming test for entry.

There isn't even a swimming test for the navy lol only if you are applying to join as a diver u will do a back kick test with fins on. There is no actual swimming test.

The police are the only service who have a swimming test in their recruitment stage. Also the SAS does if you apply as a civvy before u can do selection.

Cheers, good to know I can focus more of my physical energy towards the running for now then

Go to the chemist and get surgical meths they use it for for when you get your ears pierced use cotton wool and rub this on the back of your heals helps to harden them up for when you do route marches. If you get blisters your buggered takes a while for them to heal

Yikes I will have a go later with old boots/walking barefoot more as pyro suggested to try toughen the feet up but got the test in a month so will keep my feet clean for now :pfft:

Few things you may want to buy to make life easier during basic.

-Gas burner similar to this. You want to keep it small and compact. Preferably one that folds up and comes with a case.

http://www.equipoutdoors.co.nz/contents ... Stove.html

-Small frying pan, the stuff they gave you when I was in was shit. Something with a folding handle

http://www.equipoutdoors.co.nz/contents ... p1292.html

-Decent pair of running shoes(no flashy colours, try for plain white so its not noticeable you arent using issued shoes). You will be issued some, but may not like them. I used my own since I had been running with them for some time and was comfortable with them.

-Iron (good quality) - This is a must in camp, otherwise you will be stuck with the shit crap cheap ones they have in the barracks along with having to wait for other people which is something you don't want to do as you will often be pushed for time.

- Pack of small zip lock bags, cover in black race tape, to take off the shine. Helps to protect maps, notebooks, pens, lighters etc from rain/river crossings swimming :P

-Set of small precision screwdrivers. Extremely handy when having to clean your rifle.

Obviously things like the zip lock bags, screw drivers aren't essential, they are just handy things to make life a little easier.

Will add items to this post as I remember things that can be helpful.

If you have any work boots, you may want to start going for long walks in them so you harden up your feet as not to get blisters when you go for pack marches. Pumas also works to harden up your feet, as does walking on the beach. If you have or can borrow a camping back pack load it up and start walking with that as well, 20-30 kgs doesnt sound like much but if you aren't used to long distance walks carrying gear it can be a little painful first few times.

Learn how to iron properly before going down, you will get hammered on any little creases in clothing.

This will sound stupid, but learn to shave properly, slight stubble will f*ck you over, this is a favorite for a lot of NCO's to pick up on.

Like I said before ill keep adding small things as I remember them, both items to acquire and things to work on before and during your basic.

p.s. Good post from Tom before on the requirements. The beep test must be something relatively new as we didnt have it when I was in. Work on your swimming though, as you will have to pass the test during the basic, so the more swimming you can get in now if you are an avg swimmer, the better.

Wow nice, lots of surprising things in there. Won't you get in trouble for bringing and using your own set of boots if you're caught though?