Anyone know about Army/NZDF training?

FellowshipOfTheRon

On 7/15/2018 at 4:30 PM, Pseudonym said:

As it happens, I think one of our long-time members has been accepted as a medic, just in the last week or so. It's probably too early for him to be able to tell you all about it, but he might have a few thoughts to share. @tomleegolf, can you chip in here?

I've been accepted as a medical officer cadet which is a very different process to becoming a medic. The NZ Army offers a scholarship scheme for medical students (I'm a 2nd year medical student at the Otago Uni) where they pay the fees for the last 3 years of the 6 year degree in medicine. On top of that, they also pay a salary for these last 3 years as well.  The condition is that I serve in the Army for 4 years once I'm registered, but I'll be going in as a Medical Officer (doctor) with the rank of Captain so it's a pretty sweet deal.

If you want to go down this path, it is a long one and very competitive. You'll need a good level of physics, chemistry, biology and maths before starting university at either Auckland or Otago. Then the grades you get in first year are used to determine entry into medicine. At Otago, 1800 students start Health Sciences First Year and only 170 get into med so it's quite tough.

I found out about the scheme when the Army Medical Officers came and presented it to us. I applied in March, had an interview, completed my fitness and aptitude tests in April and then I was told I had made it through to the Officer Selection Board (OSB). The OSB is basically a 5-day job interview/camp which all of those wanting to become Army Officers must pass in order to become one. The other candidates came from diverse backgrounds; there were 18 year olds that were still at school, current soldiers, uni students, and personal trainers etc. It's extremely challenging and also very competitive but it's one hell of an experience.

I know a student doing HSFY right now who used to be a medic and I also know a fellow 2nd year med student who has just started medic training in the reserves so I'll talk to them about what it's like and post here again.

19 hours ago, tomleegolf said:

I've been accepted as a medical officer cadet which is a very different process to becoming a medic. The NZ Army offers a scholarship scheme for medical students (I'm a 2nd year medical student at the Otago Uni) where they pay the fees for the last 3 years of the 6 year degree in medicine. On top of that, they also pay a salary for these last 3 years as well.  The condition is that I serve in the Army for 4 years once I'm registered, but I'll be going in as a Medical Officer (doctor) with the rank of Captain so it's a pretty sweet deal.

If you want to go down this path, it is a long one and very competitive. You'll need a good level of physics, chemistry, biology and maths before starting university at either Auckland or Otago. Then the grades you get in first year are used to determine entry into medicine. At Otago, 1800 students start Health Sciences First Year and only 170 get into med so it's quite tough.

I found out about the scheme when the Army Medical Officers came and presented it to us. I applied in March, had an interview, completed my fitness and aptitude tests in April and then I was told I had made it through to the Officer Selection Board (OSB). The OSB is basically a 5-day job interview/camp which all of those wanting to become Army Officers must pass in order to become one. The other candidates came from diverse backgrounds; there were 18 year olds that were still at school, current soldiers, uni students, and personal trainers etc. It's extremely challenging and also very competitive but it's one hell of an experience.

I know a student doing HSFY right now who used to be a medic and I also know a fellow 2nd year med student who has just started medic training in the reserves so I'll talk to them about what it's like and post here again.

Good on you bro. Good to see that level of dedication coming thru. Excuse me sir.

"I absolutely hated the military while I was in, they were the hardest years of my life. But now that I’m out I miss it everyday. Nothing beats the friendships you make, or the stuff you get to do... I’d go back in a heartbeat if I could work in a trade that I like. But medics are basically glorified GPs that get sent out on field covers incase something serious happens.. but serious stuff hardly ever happens. I saw and did so much during my training, cause we mostly worked on civi ambulances and in hospitals. But as soon as I was qualified and just working a normal medic job, I just gave panadol to people.. so yeah depends on why they’re getting in, if they want a solid job and a good experience and some friends, then yeah go for it. Best thing you’ll ever do.

The training has changed now, we used to be way overqualified as paramedics but now they just do like a years academic study and heaps of on the job experience. Which would be better.. cause we spent 3 years getting trained up to ICP paramedic level, so theoretically capable of running cardiac arrest scenarios. And then we spent 99% of our actual job looking after people with colds 😑"

This is what my friend told me about being in the army. She's at uni now studying to be a physio now.  Hope that helps

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

You planning to jump the que bro? Straight to the front you reckon?

What do you mean by this? I'm more than confident I'll bring the goods to the table and get selected. As with anything in life get out what you put in and I've put a shit load into this. Do me a favor and dont call me bro when your trying to have a dig. Guess it will depend what infantry numbers are getting recruited at the time. I'll tell you what tho I'll bring the whole package.

Good on you Bruizer.! Meanwhile, im having a cry ATM, because i broke my wrist 3 days before my assessment day at the very start of Sept. My plan of making the Feb. intake is shot, but perhaps March/April if I'm lucky. 

2 more weeks in a cast. sigh. And to think I would have been in the Candidate Pool by now if I hadn't done my wrist :(

• 8 months later...
On 1/10/2018 at 8:38 PM, Matador said:

Good on you Bruizer.! Meanwhile, im having a cry ATM, because i broke my wrist 3 days before my assessment day at the very start of Sept. My plan of making the Feb. intake is shot, but perhaps March/April if I'm lucky. 

2 more weeks in a cast. sigh. And to think I would have been in the Candidate Pool by now if I hadn't done my wrist :(

What happened with you

What were people's approach to the 2.4km run in terms of training ? I looked at the recommended plans online and for the results they indicate getting the plans looked simple. I think the advanced Male had you doing a 10min 2.4km in approx 5-6 weeks ?

On 15/06/2019 at 12:51 PM, urbano said:

What were people's approach to the 2.4km run in terms of training ? I looked at the recommended plans online and for the results they indicate getting the plans looked simple. I think the advanced Male had you doing a 10min 2.4km in approx 5-6 weeks ?

My approach is just get out there and run...easy

• 3 weeks later...

@Bruizer

I marched out from AARC 393 last week,  and about to start Combat Corps Training down in Burnham.  I got seleted for that intake within a week from my interview, which was insane. (The NZDF is going through a recruiting shortage)  Also, my wrist didnt give me any issues during the course, though lots of other dudes got discharged due to injuries.

If you have any questions about Basic, I'd be more than happy to answer them.

Cheers

As for the 2.4km run, just get out there and run, like Bruizer said. Be aware that you will drop at least 20 seconds in Waiouru because of the high altitude. I ran a 8.30 on induction day in Hamilton, 8.54 for the EFL in Basic, and a 8.31 for my best RFL. The highest in the Coy. was 8.16, though this chick in the intake before us ran a 100s club (male time) which is godlike.

4 hours ago, Matador said:

@Bruizer

I marched out from AARC 393 last week,  and about to start Combat Corps Training down in Burnham.  I got seleted for that intake within a week from my interview, which was insane. (The NZDF is going through a recruiting shortage)  Also, my wrist didnt give me any issues during the course, though lots of other dudes got discharged due to injuries.

If you have any questions about Basic, I'd be more than happy to answer them.

Cheers

Congratulations bro. All the best for the next step

On 12/07/2019 at 2:37 PM, Matador said:

As for the 2.4km run, just get out there and run, like Bruizer said. Be aware that you will drop at least 20 seconds in Waiouru because of the high altitude. I ran a 8.30 on induction day in Hamilton, 8.54 for the EFL in Basic, and a 8.31 for my best RFL. The highest in the Coy. was 8.16, though this chick in the intake before us ran a 100s club (male time) which is godlike.

Did u get into 1st battalion 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...