IFBB Elite Bodybuilding in Australia

waldo

I wonder if we can ever sustain something like this here:

The Elite Australian Body Building competitions have been created by Paul and Carole Graham for our body builders who have been or are Australian or Australasian champions.

It enables body builders who are of an elite level to earn prize money whilst competing in these events but retain their amateur status to be able to compete at World Championship level or to enter the professional ranks at some time in the future.

The Elite competitions are sanctioned by the IFBB.

Who is eligible?

National and Australasian Champions. Australian Pro card winners who have not won or placed in the top 5 at a pro show as well.

Other federation champions can apply to compete. If accepted, they will have to sign a contract pledging loyalty to compete only in NPFCA/IFBB competitions.

How much prize money?

For our first year we will have 2 shows. The Australian Elite Championships at the Gold Coast April 22nd and The Australasian Elite Championships in Sydney on April 29th. There will be a minimum A$20,000 cash for the 2 shows as well as other prizes. The top 6 athletes will receive prize money

How often will there be Elite Competitions?

To start with we will have 2 shows in 2007. In 2008 we plan to have 4 shows. With support from the athletes we are endeavoring to see the prize money increase to $50,000.

What for the winner?

A nice pay cheque!! As well, he can apply for his pro card if he feels he is ready. If granted it must be used within 12 months. But he will be able to compete in the Elite League for as long as he wishes.

What approximate amount at this first Elite will the winner receive?

We are still working on the details but approximately $5,000 per show (so potentially $10,000 if you win both shows) and other prizes as well.

For further enquiries please call Paul or Carole Graham 02 9389 8957 or 0417 203 976 or email pcgraham@ozemail.com.au

I would hazard a guess and say shows like the Country Classic have put the shits up the IFBB in Oz big time...offering a decent incentive to compete, and also a great way to bring the standard up. If Outlaw is looking around this board, would you care to comment mate?

I know Moe tried to do something like this here, but I gather that was with backing from overseas companies. The question is: If the Nzfbb was to try something like this, where would the money come from?

Sounds very interesting, Waldo. I'm keen to see this discussed at our first NZFBB Exec meeting for 2007 - on Feb 25.

Two obvious issues for hosting such an event in NZ would be drug-testing and where we get the $$$ for prize-money from. It seems our competitors are welcome to compete over there - assuming any possible issues with receiving prize money are addressed fully. The possibility of getting a pro-card is also intriguing and worth looking into further. It's likely a pro-card issued in Aussie would be restricted to Aussie citizens though.

Lets talk more about this when you come down for the 7's next week!

How does that work? As far as I was aware, the definition of an amateur is someone who had never competed for money. Surely you can't compete for money AND still be an amateur - the two are mutually exclusive.

It sounds like the IFBB is bending the rules in order to entice competitors from other organisations, and lock them into the IFBB.

Or am I getting the wrong end of the stick here? :?

Nabba hand out a 'Photo' contract where they pay for the use of images for a year.

Pesudo: Paul Graham pretty much does what he likes in Australia as far as the IFBB goes. So if he wanted to add to the IFBB constitution to do something like this then I gather he would just go ahead and do it. By all accounts he's not the most popular man in BB, having been assaulted along with his wife Carole at the Australian Champs 2 (?) years ago after a dubious judging decision. Since then IFBB have lost heaps of athletes to Nabba, including talents like James Potter, who had the chance to turn pro but turned it down to compete in Nabba.

post-159-14166817322199_thumb.jpg

The IFBB does allow cash awards, as indicated by the following clause in their rule book:

Article 27 - Cash Awards

27.1 Cash Awards:

National, Regional and Continental Federations are free to present

cash awards at designated events. For events at and below the

national level, the respective National Federation shall decide the

rules and regulations governing cash awards, and the terms and

conditions governing participation, except that a National

Federation may not invite other countries, or athletes from other

countries, to participate in a competition at this level. For events

above the national level and at or below the continental level, the

respective Continental Federation shall decide the rules and

regulations governing cash awards, and the terms and conditions

governing participation.

Andrew - regarding your question regarding the NABBA Pro-Am, I believe they don't offer cash prizes, but vouchers for photo sessions or something similar. This is what I've heard, so I can't confirm it, but apparently it is not a cash prize. Perhaps check with Gary Nairn to see what he received at last year's event?

With NZFBB events since I've been competing in them, there are of course various prizes given (protein powder, T-shirts etc) along with the trophies for each class, plus travel subsidies for attending Nationals or overseas events to selected competitors.

I would hazard a guess and say shows like the Country Classic have put the shits up the IFBB in Oz big time...offering a decent incentive to compete, and also a great way to bring the standard up. If Outlaw is looking around this board, would you care to comment mate?

I know Moe tried to do something like this here, but I gather that was with backing from overseas companies. The question is: If the Nzfbb was to try something like this, where would the money come from?

Hey mate, how's things?

The CCI has really got all the Federations & promoters over here thinking, that's for sure.

And so it should too. Aussie BBers & fans have been treated like shit for over 20yrs IMO. I really only did the CCI show because nobody else seemed willing to do anything. I was getting fed-up & annoyed with the way things were going, so instead of whinging, I decided to do something about it.

I do feel very, very fortunate though, as I've got some kick-arse people supporting me. I'd be stuffed without them.

O.K, Elite BBing. Personally, I feel it is a knee jerk reaction to the CCI, just like Moe's attempted show. That's cool, I always expected that others would be forced to do something once they saw the quality of the CCI.

I have been told that this Elite BBing Class has been running in Europe for the last 12mths & is very successful. I have never heard of it, but if this is true, then it's just another IFBB Class that Aust has decided to embrace, a bit like the new Classic Physique Class that was started over here last year. So it's not really created by Carol & Paul, more like adopted or imported I suppose.

Either way, it gives something back to the BBer which is to be encouraged IMO. I feel a bit ripped-off though. Last year I tried to give away $10,000 cash, but was told I couldn't because of IFBB rules. Now all of a sudden they have changed the rules this year? Whatever.

The more money the CCI makes, the bigger the prizes will be. Although it is a long, long way away, my dream is to be able to give away a Harley for 1st prize in the Mens Open. I am very competitive & will do my best to make sure the CCI prizes a bigger & better than anyone else's. So BBers will be the winners.

As for amateurs getting money, personally, I don't understand it. If you receive prize monies from competing, then you are not an amateur as far as I'm concerned. If you were to win 6 of these Elite shows at $5,000 each, then that's $30,000! How can this be amateur?

Anyway, I don't want to get too deep into this debate just in case they change their minds & decide not to give the BBers anything! :grin:

You guys could do a show here easily. I would be 100% certain that Elite won't be tested, so all you need is $7,500 to offer as prize money. That's all the IFBB are offering over here. I'm not sure of the breakdown, but I think the winner takes $5,000 & the rest is broken down to the top 6 place-getters. How hard could it be?

As far as the Pro Card goes, we no longer have a Pro Qualifier. To my knowledge, the Elite Class is now the Pro Qualifier. So if you win it, you have 2 choices. Take the money & the Pro Card or take the money & stay amateur.

O.K, NABBA Aust. They usually give you $1,000 towards your trip overseas, but I believe this year that they are giving away $1,500 to each height class winner.

The Natural Federations over here have pulled up their socks too. We even have a new Natural Federation starting up this year called WNBF. Sounds like they are targeting the INBA, using former INBA promoters & athletes to run & promote their shows.

So as you can see, things are really starting to fire-up over here. Promoters have finally realised that athletes need to be shown a bit more respect.

It's all fun & I'm loving it! :grin:

To top things off, I've even got my own BBing magazine on the go. I will have flyer's ready for the Pro Show in March, but if you thought the CCI caused some excitement, wait till you get a look at the magazine.

It's gonna be insane!!!! :grin:

Cheers everyone.