Mmmmmm K

Monarchking

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK my goals are simple

1. -Squat 4 plates 100% raw (clothes optional)
  2. -Pull 5 plates
  3. -Bench 132.5 paused
  • How wil I get there? Use 5/3/1 what I have used succesfully in the past what I should have never stopped (currently 3rd cycle in), but I made a mistake and struggled with motivation/sickness and injury this year. (Excuses I know for not sticking to the priciples that worked!) Although I did manage to  get my bench up! 
  • Boring but big. Its bad ass and simple. 5x10 of the core lift. Done it with my bench for a year and it made me grow! And looking at my old log, my best squat numbers were all done when I was doing more squat volume. But never stuck with it for long periods in the squat, and never did it for my deadlift. The only thing I wont do BBB with is my Press. Only because I experimented with floor press and I really think they helped. So ill do them as a main assistance and rest pasue my top press set to push it a bit further since Im not doing much overhead volume. If injury is near (groin/hip/shoulder etc) I would obviously drop volume because Im not thaaaaat stupid haha.
  • Gute ham raise. Luckily to have one of these so programing these in as a staple. For ever.  Instead of just looking at it and doing it now n then Ive add in structure. I wil start with a 5x5 on lower days before I hit the Boring but big sets after my top 5/3/1 set. A lot swear by the GHR so Ill nail it for a year, if it works, it works haha. Will add bands/weights once I can get 100 per week.
  • No belt. Im not using a belt on lower days. Obviously if needed(tired as f*ck/niggles etc) or if deciding to do a heavier pull like in the video above. Direct ab work done every ower day.
  • Accessory. 100 pull ups per week. 100 dips per week. Kroc row rep records. Face pulls X hundreds! 
  • Mistakes. 
  1. Treating Deadlift day as 'a back day'. I now look at my 4 training days as 'lower or upper days'. With lots off pulling. 
  2. Tapping out on the top set. Its ok to back off and save yoursef for next week! get the required, if required!
  3. Not enough hamstring.
  4. No direct ab work.
  • Learnt 
  1. Write down what you priciples and philosophies are, so when you get side tracked GO FUCKEN READ THEM AND STOP BEEN A HOMO. Stick to what works and what you believe will work!
  2. Dont skip over head press. Do it once a week at least.
  3. Increase overall body strength to get stronger!
  4. Front squats make you feel awsome and are good for overall strength. Cycle them in but NEVER neglect the back squat!
  5. Think long term. You have trained for a while now and shit doesnt come easy. Inch by inch.
  6. Conventional Deadlifts don't suit me. I look like a retard and curl over, the bar drifts forward and it just doesnt seem to work. Its taken me a loong fucken time to get this into my head. But I pulll sumo now.
  • Allong the way
  1. Dead lift 180x10
  2. Bench 100x20
  3. GHR 20
  4. Kroc 60x20 strapless obviously
  • ​Wrap up. So there you have it. Listen to my body! I couldnt lift for 2 months this year because I was an idiot. I was taking a shit and thinking, "man i got a sore tight lower back" What did I do? went for 5 plate deadlift the next day. Injured myself in the warm ups, contimued to train. And was off work and lifting for 2 months. I had trained for 3 months on a bench program I was getting really good at and was going to test a 130 in 2 days. But I went full retard DONT BE A f*ck HEAD. DONT GO FULL RETARD!! If your sore. Back off. Stretch ike hell, and manipulate volume.

Bench

1x9 @ 105kg

5x10 @ 80kg

50 pull ups

Pull Downs 

3x10

kroc rows 

1x25 @ 43kg

Face Pulls

2x20

• Bench sets were easy, top set pretty good but fucked up the last rep. Should  had 10
  • Wow tired at kroc rows! haha
  • no straps, wrist wraps used in bench.
  • Need to get stronger!
  • SHIT!! forgot to do some dips.....

OHPress

1x10 @ 60kg

60 pull ups

Floor Press

5x5 @ 82.5kg

100 lat pull dwns

60 dips

60 face pulls

• Pretty sure thats the first time I have hit 10 reps in the OHP, standing anyway!
  • shoulders a little niggly, need a good upper mobility/massage
  • hammys are pretty tight and sore
  • all pull ups done with a neutral grip(palms facing each other) as I seem to get tendon troubles in my left elbow. Various widths.

Bench

1x8 @ 110kg

5x10 @ 82.5kg

Back

100 reps

• Have been battling some pain the last few days, ebows, shoulder, back, knee etc
  • cut volume
  • Just doing 3 workuts over the next 10 days to rejuvinate and freshen up.
  • A very average sesh, but meh. Few extra days off here n there with some icing and massage and shit will cme together.

Bench

1x8 @ 110kg

5x10 @ 82.5kg

Back

100 reps

• Have been battling some pain the last few days, ebows, shoulder, back, knee etc
  • cut volume
  • Just doing 3 workuts over the next 10 days to rejuvinate and freshen up.
  • A very average sesh, but meh. Few extra days off here n there with some icing and massage and shit will cme together.

Just caught up on your journal, looking strong with that sumo mate. Just a few things I noticed technique wise, you're still treating it a lot like a conventional deadlift but with a wider stance. I'm no sumo expert and it could be worth PMing Drizzt and asking him to take a quick look at the vid, but from what I could see you need to get your hips more involved. Take a little bit more time setting up, try to sit back onto your heels more to get more of a see-saw effect going, and focus on driving your knees outwards whilst then forcing your hips straight forward to the bar and driving your chest up. You should be able to start the lift with your chest up a bit more which will take more of the strain off your back and put more of it through your hips. 

Give that a try with 140kg or so and see how it feels compared to the grip and rip. There's certainly a few very successful grip and rip sumo lifters, but in general it seems to take a bit more patience as a lift, because if you get slightly out of position it can kill a maximal lift, whereas with conventional it's a lot easier to just muscle through small technique faults. 

Just caught up on your journal, looking strong with that sumo mate. Just a few things I noticed technique wise, you're still treating it a lot like a conventional deadlift but with a wider stance. I'm no sumo expert and it could be worth PMing Drizzt and asking him to take a quick look at the vid, but from what I could see you need to get your hips more involved. Take a little bit more time setting up, try to sit back onto your heels more to get more of a see-saw effect going, and focus on driving your knees outwards whilst then forcing your hips straight forward to the bar and driving your chest up. You should be able to start the lift with your chest up a bit more which will take more of the strain off your back and put more of it through your hips. 

Give that a try with 140kg or so and see how it feels compared to the grip and rip. There's certainly a few very successful grip and rip sumo lifters, but in general it seems to take a bit more patience as a lift, because if you get slightly out of position it can kill a maximal lift, whereas with conventional it's a lot easier to just muscle through small technique faults. 

Thanks for the input.

youre def right when treating it like a conventional. 

I'll post a video of my back off sets, when the weights lighter m more aware of driving the hips in and squeezing the glutes.(this is what your talking about?) and when I do this I find I get less over extension at the lock out, nd lock out almost feels shorter. 

Ill def keep working on it, I feel so much better wider stance and I'm making progrss

Moving to Melbourne so selling al my crap.

no more home gym :( but am excited about training at a new facilty where I can try new shit meet new peeps and be awesome.

possibly dohertys city  gym

202x1 sumo and con

72.5x3 overhead press pause on chest 

not getting all the work in ATM lots of shit to do