Gymrat's journey to the bodybuilding stage

Pseudonym

Our own "Gym Rat" (aka Damien) is determined to make the bodybuilding stage. This topic will track his journey to the NABBA Dunedin show in September 2013.

If you'd like to help him get there, you can throw him some coin at:

https://www.givealittle.co.nz/cause/GymRat2013

All funds raised will go toward Gym Rat's comp prep.

But money's not everything. He's going to need your advice too. Let's see if we can get him on stage in great condition. Think of it as our little community project. :grin:

And if any bodybuilders in Dunedin feel like coaching him in person, I'm sure that would make a huge difference too.

Good luck, Gym Rat. Go hard!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Will he actually do it?

You wouldn't want people throwing money at him And he pulls out.

i will follow through on what i said in the original thread about donating $20 to the cause, but is there a way we can make it conditional on follow through? no idea how it could be done but anyone who donated funds would be raging if he puilled out on the day...

thoughts?

p.s - i also pledge the $5 that threewhitelights owes me for losing the CAPO bet to the cause - gymrat PM him for reparations.

Yeah, I agree that we don't want Gymrat pulling out after we've given him money to compete. That's one of the reasons I created this as a new topic - so we can keep the momentum going, and make sure he follows through! :D

I thought I saw an option to make a "conditional pledge" that would be held in trust until the recipient met his conditions - but the whole Givealittle site changed last week and I can't find it now. Besides, if Gym Rat needs money to compete, he's going to need it before he gets on stage.

Obviously, I can't guarantee with 100% certainty that Gym Rat will do this show. But we know how fanatical he is about bodybuilding, and he seems pretty keen to compete. For what it's worth, I've given him the benefit of the doubt (and $25).

I've also asked Gym Rat to post his diet and a set of photos so we can give him better advice. He's going to get a workmate to help him post them up.

I will be sticking with this journal by posting my eats up each day on my journey to the bodybuilding stage.I showed my mum the page and she thought that was cool also I emailed the grandparents who live in Canada including my friends who live in the states and UK as well which will help fund me towards my journey.Hope to do the Pan Pacific show in Auckland as well .I am sure that you guys will agree with not to go to any work do's while I am dieting down plus there would be food which would lead to temptation.My eats for today so far

Breakfast One cup of Oats with one egg,two tsp of flax seed,one cup of yogurt and multi

Morning tea One big glass of trim milk with handful of rasions and creatine

Lunch One cup of brown rice with one cup of beans,two cups of mixed veggies and handfull of low fat ham

Afternoon tea One pro active proetin bar and apple

Tea chicken,peas,kumara one big glass of milk

I was thinking while I was out for a bike I should mention to Supplement me about my page on givealittle.co.nz and I might be able to get discount plus I will probley be buying lots diffrent supps while I am preaping.

My age is 36 my height is 185cm or 6ft1 weight is 95kg built ectomorph

Not taking super quad just now because of Supplement me are having shipping problems just and still getting plenty of protein in from milk,yoghurt, eggs,milk and meats like chicken,tuna,shaved low fat ham,beef for my fats that I use are flax seed and peanut butter.

Quads today

Leg extensions 1x20 66kg,3x10-12 120kg.123kg,126kg

Smith machine squats 3x10-12 140kg,150kg,160kg

DB walking lunges 3x10-12 44kg's,46kg's,50kg's

Leg press 3x10-12 7pps,8pps,9pps

Eats for today

Breakfast one cup of oats with one egg,2tsps of flax seed,one cup of yoghurt,banna and multi

Pre training handfull of rasions with creatine and 500ml of milk

Lunch One cup of brown rice,one cup of beans,two cups of mixed veggies and one can of tuna in brine

Afternoon tea one apple two rice cakes topped with one table spoon of peanutbutter and two table spoons of tuna

Tea pasta with vege sauce,asparagus couple of glasses of milk

When I was leaving the gym I put suggestion in the suggestion box saying that I am looking for a male or female member who has done few comps and who is willing to help coach me on my journey to the 2013 NABBA South island show.If guys have any suggestions about adding extra proetin with my breakfast like adding extra egg with my oats for examaple by all means feel free to post and my ears are open to your suggestions.

Chest and calfs today

DB incline press 1x15 26kg's3x10-12 42kg's,44kg's,46kg's

Flat bench flys' 3x8-12 34kg's,36kg's,40kg's

Flat db bench press 3x8-12 44kg's,46kg's,50kg's

Cable cross overs FST-7 7x10-12 80pps for the seven working sets

Calf press 3x10-12 7pps,8pps,9pps

Standing calf raise 3x10-12 270,290,300 pounds

Steated calf raise 3x10-12 80kg,100kg,110kg

Eats for today

Breakfast One cup of oats with one egg, banana,two tsp of flax seed,one cup of yoghurt

Pre training handful of raison with 500ml of milk and creatine

Lunch one cup of brown rice with two cups of mixed veggies,one cup of beans,tun in brine

afternoon tea two rice cakes topped with one table spoon of peanut butter,two table spoons of tuna,one apple

Tea rice,chicken curry,leak stir fry glass of trim milk

water in take for the day 5L of H2O

Had good train today and before went to the gym I checked on my on givealittle.co.nz what you guys write and thanks guys for your support. Slept like a log last night after the bees above my ceiling got killed after I got some bee poison from my old man on Friday after work plus the bees were starting to make :x at 6am while I was sleeping.Emailed one of my co workers last night about taking photos of me not sure what the answer will but hope it will be yes and the same for helping to post photos in my journal as well.Guys when the photos of me do come I would appreciated good feedback.

Back today

Chin up's 3x12 body weight

Bent over BB row 3x12 130kg,135kg,140kg

One arm DB row 3x12 56kg,58kg,60kg

Single arm iso lateral row 3x12 72.5kg,80kg,85kg

Back extensions 3x12

Straight arm pull downs FST-7 7x10-12 150 pounds for the seven working sets

Eats for today are

Breakfast one cup of oats with one egg,2tsps of flaxseed,one cup of yoghurt,one banana and multi

Pre training handful of raisins with 500 ml of milk and creatine

Lunch one cup of brown rice with two cups of mixed veggies,one cup of beans,one can of tuna in brine

Afternoon tea two rice cakes topped with 2 table spoons on tuna,one table spoon on peanut butter

tea Steak,one cup of brown rice asparagus 500ml of milk

Before I went out the door I emailed one of the trainers at my and asked about coaching me on my journey to the body building stage also in the email I mention that I am planing on doing the Pan Pacific show up in Auckland that's if I can get enough funding to do both.

Shoulders and hamstrings today

Iso hammer shoulder press 1x15 60kg, 3x10-12 80kg,85kg,90kg

Single arm DB lateral raise 3x10-12 24kg,26kg,28kg

Db front raise 3x10-12 24kg's,26kg's,28kg's

Reverse pec deck 3x10-12 80,100,110 pounds

Single arm cable lateral raise FST-7 7x10-12 15 pounds for the seven working sets

Lying hamstring curls 3x10-12 66kg,73kg,80kg

Seated leg curls 3x10-12 80kg,86kg,93kg

Standing leg curl FST-7 7x10-12 100 pounds or stack for the seven working sets

Eats for today

One cup of oats with one egg, banana,2tsp of flaxseed,one cup of yoghurt

Pre training two big glasses of milk,handful of raisins,creatine

Lunch One cup of brown rice with two cups of mixed veggies with can can of tuna in brine

Afternoon tea two rice cakes topped with one table spoon of peanut butter,two table spoons of tuna, and one apple

Tea basmati rice with two can of watties chicken,cup of beans and milk

Had good train today plus the gym was a bit busy because the gym was getting new treadmills today was planing on doing cable upright row today instead do reverse pec deck so would not be in the way of the workers bring in the new tradmills

hey gymrat any idea how much protein you're getting in over the day?

looks a bit on the low side ?

Not to sure Maccaz on how much protein that I am getting each day I should bring that up when I do get myself a coach to help me on my journey and last thing Tom please stay out of my new journal.

Arms today

BB curls 3x10-12 50kg,55kg,58kg

Standing alternating DB curls 3x10-12 28kg's,30kg's,32kg

Bicep cable curls 3x10-12 140,150,160 pounds

DB hammer curls FST-7 7x10-12 42kg's for the seven working sets Kids please try this at home :twisted:

Triceps pushdown 3x10-12 95,99,110 pounds

Triceps overhead cable extensions 3x10-12 140,150,160 pounds

Dips 3x12 body weight

Db Donkey triceps kick backs FST-7 7x10-12

Eats for today

Brekfast one cup of oats with one egg,2tsp of flaxseed,one cup of yoghurt,one banana,multi

Pre training two glasses of trim milk,handfull of raisins and creatine

Lunch One cup of brown rice,one cup of beans,two cups of mixed veggies,one can of tuna in brine

Afternoon tea two rice cakes toped with one taple spoon on peanut butter,two table spoons of tuna one apple

Tea basmati rice with one can of tuna and beans glass of trim milk

Had good hard out train today with lots of grunting as well.A few people at Les Mills Dunedin have mention to me that I am looking lean not to sure what my body fat hope to get that checked by one of my co workers.I was thinking last night about this journey fun and exciting times ahead for me and thank god I have got one of the trainers at Les Mills to help coach me and I will be in good hands as well

Rest day today and eats for today

Breakfast half cup of oats with two eggs,one cup of milk,one banana,2 tsp of flaxseed,one multi which reminds I have to buy a new jar of red seal men's multi,

Morning tea one apple,One glass of milk,creatine

Lunch one cup of brown rice,two cups of mixed veggies,one cup of beans,handful of low fat ham

Afternoon tea one pro active protein bar and apple

tea homemade pizza toppings were mushrooms,olives,cheese,peperoni, asparagus milk.Bought myself a Christmas present for myself is ACDC live at river plate there first live cd in 20 years :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: .

Nice start Gymrat - is a great goal to have and definitely achievable. :clap:

what a beast GymRat showing those dumbbells who's BOSS, heavy-as weights well done

6'1" and 95kg! You've come such a long way and hope to see you compete against Optimass on stage, he's about your weight now :lol:

lololol :doh: :pfft:

Rest day today and eats for today

Breakfast half cup of oats with two eggs,one cup of milk,one banana,2 tsp of flaxseed,one multi which reminds I have to buy a new jar of red seal men's multi,

Morning tea one apple,One glass of milk,creatine

Lunch one cup of brown rice,two cups of mixed veggies,one cup of beans,handful of low fat ham

Afternoon tea one pro active protein bar and apple

tea will add later on.

Don't worry about the multi GR > you are eating enough vege/fruit to get a full spread. save the coin for more product sups like protein and/or some thermos ...creatine etc.

Rest today and the start of week two on my journey to the bodybuilding stage

eats for today

Breakfast One cup of oats,one egg,one banana,one cup of yoghurt,2tsp of flax seed,multi

Morning tea handfull of raisins,glass of milk creatine

Lunch one cup of brown rice,one cup of beans,two cups of mixed veggies,handful of low fat ham

afternoon tea two rice cakes topped with one table spoon of peanut butter ,two table spoons of tuna and one apple

tea Roast chicken,pea,kumara

I forgot to tell you guys my coach is also a NABBA judge as well plus I will be in very good hands on my journey to the bodybuilding stage as well.Before I head to Wellys I am going to buy myself a note book to write down what I had to each eat day so I can had that to my journal and for food for the sevens I am going stock up on protein bars and buy them from gymeez or Health 2000 instead of eating junk.I will be promoting my page on givealittle at the gym including Supplement me at work hopefully I will be able to get funding :pray:

Quads today

Leg extensions 1x20 66kg,3x10-12 120kg,123kg,126kg

Smith machine squats 3x10-12 150kg,170kg,180kg

Db walking lunges 3x10-12 40kg's,46kg's,50kg's

Leg press 3x10-12 7pps,8pps,9pps

Single leg extensions FST-7 7x10-12 46kg for the seven working sets

Eats for today

Breakfast One cup of oats,2tsp of flax seed,one egg,one banana,one cup of yoghurt and multi

Pre training,handful of raisions,500ml of milk,creatine

Lunch One cup of rice with one cup of beans,two cups of mixed veggies,one cup of tuna in brine

Afternoon tea two rice cakes topped with one table spoon of peanut butter,two table spoons tuna apple

Tea chile with milk

I had a good hard train today plus it was was warm as well also good for extra fat buring as well.When I arrived at the gym I dropped off two copies about my fund page at the front desk and they will get passed on to the marketing manger at Les Mills Dunedin also the same for Supplement me as well and I hope the answer is yes funding from Les Mills Dunedin and Supplement me about getting funding and I will let you guys know :pray: and fingers and other limps crossed as well.

Good stuff, Gymrat. Sounds like things are falling into place for you.

When are we going to see some photos, so we know what we're dealing with here?

Still waiting on to get one of co workers to take photos of me after I emailed them last Monday when I got home from work.When I got up this morning I thought if I dont hear anything back from my co worker who I emailed ,I am going to plain b which is I am going to email my coach and ask him to see if he can take photos of me.Three thought came to mind before I went to the gym which When I am at the sevens I will be drinking water only,Eating clean when I am in Wellys for the sevens and for the Monday when I watch the Super Bowl eather at Lanes or four Kings eat clean just now I am looking at there meau online to see what there healthy options are.

Chest and calfs today

DB incline press 1x15 26kg's,3x10-12 42kg's,44kg's,46kg's

Flat bench flys's 3x8-12 34kg's,36kg's,40kg's

Flat DB bench press 3x8-12 44kg's,46kg's,50kg's

Cable cross overs FST-7x10-12 80pps for the seven working sets

Calf press 3x10-12 7pps,8pps,9pps

Standing calf raise 3x10-12 270,280,300 pounds

Seated calf raise 3x10-12 80kg,90kg,110kg

Had good train today and got some random due to give me a spot on the last set for DB incline press got ten reps out and happy with that.Yesterday at work one of my co workers was asking me about the cost of competing and I told me it is very expensive to do for the likes of food,supplements,dream tan waking etc also my co workers think that it pretty cool that I am competing in the new year.I got a email from Terry Hills yesterday after I emailed him during the weekend.I told Terry about that I am going to compete in the new year also I told Terry about my fund raising page on give a little and he will be donating later on in the week :D.I forgot to mention yesterday when the new year comes around I wont be going to any work do's because I will be training hard torwards getting on stage eats for today are

Breakfast one cup of oats with one egg,banana,2tsp of flaxseed,one cup of yoghurt,multi

Pre traning handful of raisions,500ml of milk,creatine

Lunch one cup of brown rice,two cups of mixed veggies,one cup of beans,one can of tuna in brine

Afternoon tea two rice cakes topped with one table spoon on peanut butter,two table spoons on tuna and apple.

Tea pasta shells and the sauce peas,beef,carrots,salad with out dressing glass of milk

Yesterday was back

Chin ups 3x10-12 bodyweight

Bent over BB row 3x10-12 130kg,135kg,140kg

One arm DB row 3x10-12 56kg,58kg,60kg

Single arm iso lateral row 72.5kg,80kg,85kg

Back extensions 3x10-12

Straight arm pulldowns FST-7 7x10-12 150 pounds for the seven working sets

Had a good train yesterday and I have started wearing my Santa hat in the gym.One of the trainers that I know asked me yesterday where is my stack which I thought was very funnny or :lol: eats for yesterday were

Breakfast one cup of oats with one egg,one banana,two tsp of flax seed ,one cup of yoghurt and multi

Pre training handful of raisions,500ml of milk,creatine

Lunch one cup of brown rice,one cup of beans,two cups of mixed veggies,can of tuna in brine

afternoon tea two rice cakes topped with one tablespoon of peanut butter,two table spoons of tuna one apple

Tea one cup of brown rice with two cups of peas and left over chicken breast for Sunday night and 500 ml of milk

I had a thought yesterday which was when I start lowering my carbs I wonder how my biking will go like for when I am biking home from work etc

Shoulders and hamstrings today

ISO shoulder press 1x15 60kg,3x10-12 80kg,85kg,90kg

DB lateral raise 3x10-12 24kg's,26kg's,28kg's

DB front rasies 3x10-12 24kg's,26kg's,28kg's

Reverse Pec deck 3x10-12 80,100,110 pounds

Single arm cable lateral raise FST-7 7x10-12 30 pounds for the seven working sets

Lying hamstring curls 3x10-12 66kg,73kg,80kg

Reverse hamstring extensions 3x12

Standing leg curls FST-7 7x10-12 100 pounds or stack for the seven working sets

Had a good train today when I was doing iso hammer shoulder press on the last set and when I got to 12 rep while being spoted I thought what the hell one more rep which made it 13 plus I was stoked.When I biked past supplement and I notice that they have got Super quad in stock I thought sweet I will be stopping by there after training arms eats for today are

Breakfast one cup of oats with one egg,two tsp of flax seed,banana,one cup of yoghurt,multi

Pre training handful of rasions,500 ml of milk

Lunch one cup of brown rice,one cup beans,two cups of mixed veggies,one can of tuna

Afternoon tea two rice cakes topped with one table spoon of peanut butter,two table spoons of tuna,one apple

Tea one cup of basmati rice one can of pink salmon,two cups of peas and 500ml of milk