2007 Competition Prep: Evie

Evie

what intensity do you do your cardio and what do you do?

eg Treadmill for 30mins at highest incline, speed 4.8 etc etc

:D

Hi Small, I try to stick in my 'Fat Burning Zone' 60-70% of my max heart rate. So far I've been going for walks outside and using the stationary bikes at the gym. I am doing cardio on T/Mill this evening so will play around with the best incline and speed.

Usually I like to go 'Balls Out' and just do high intensity ie set the T/Mill to hills and see how long I can run for as the incline increases, Intervals Or just set the Treddy to as fast as I can for as long as I can.

So doing cardio for a longer period at a lower intensity is all a learning curve - plus I recover to resting H/R really quickly so its all a matter of learning what a good pace is FUN FUN FUN!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Evie - think you'll do awesome in your comp & physique the following year. You don't have much more size you have to put on, to go into that catergory in the future(as you know). I just think after this first comp, you'll just go on from strength to strength & achieve successful results further & futher. All the best!!!

Thanks for the positive comments everyone - certainly is a pick me up to read things like that!

Am at a platue point I think, so today is low carbs and then tomorrow extra cardio and normal workout with normal diet again.

M1 1/3 Oats and Shake

M2 3 egg whites, ½ tin Tuna, 1 large Celery Stalk

M3 3 egg whites, ½ Tin Tuna, 1 large Celery Stalk, 1 cup Melon

M4 Large Shake, 3 egg whites, 1 cup melon,

M5 Large Chicken Breast (BBQ) 1 cup Green veg

M6 Shake

AM: Training Chest & Back

PM: 30-40 mins Cardio (combination stepper, Bike and T/Mill)

It's just 1 day to trick things up cause I'll go back to plan over the weekend and add in extra cardio. Love Celery! As I'm aiming for high Protein day and Lower in carbs the celery just adds something different and basically burns just as many calories digesting it as it puts into your body - With in reason of course - plus the fibre has got to be good! I think my system needs a clean out!

Opps bad girl - slap on hand for not posting for a number of days!

Things are moving along - thank goodness I see progress (although I feel bloated), no photos in the weekend, but should do this weekend.

I am going to posing coaching session on Friday, so I will feel happier in the knowledge that I am practising to the best of my ability and that I have some technique.

Yesterday was not a good day mentally - result of hormones :shock: (Yes yes blah blah excuses) I didn't know it at the time, but I'd been getting upset over small things for example: I went upstairs in the gym to fit in cardio, in the morning thinking BF would come get me to do AB's but when he came upstairs he said it was too late and he didn't want to disturb me as I hate when people hover... I saw this as a missed area of my work out that I had PLANNED!!! Do not go against the PLAN! I was sulky for about 5 mins and explained myself and life went on, but I really don't need stuff like that!

Oh and I left the front door of the house wide open all day! Went out Garage door so out of site out of mind!

Hormones again - I wanted to eat eat eat, I had an extra serving of Melon, 2 extra protien shakes through the day and 3 egg whites extra in the evening! Could have been much worse, but still once again against the PLAN!

Training is going well still, cardio in the morning and evening workouts on the same day are good and kinda fun. Looking forward to Shoulders/Arms this evening.

That’s my rant, not stats or measurements or even a log of training or meal plan today as it much of a muchness currently.

Hey Evie

Keep up the fantastic effort! :)

I know what you mean about hormones & mood swings & stuff. Last time that I did a competition I was living with a flatmate who was competing as well. You should have heard the arguments that we had, over little things too, like who ate the last banana, whose turn it was to use the bike, whose turn it was to get the washing in off the line etc etc. It would make you feel really bad after losing it & you really don't want to have that negative energy in your system when you are already wearing yourself down!

I know it is extremely tough but you are an incredibly strong individual. You have come this far & the comp is closer than you think. :)

As for the food thing - listen to your body. Your body is telling you that you need those extra needs at times of stress. The food was 'clean' and probably did less harm than you think, in fact it probably was good for you! The mind can be very powerful & sometimes you just need to let your body override it & tell you what to do! At the end of the day it's your body that you have to show off on stage - not your mind! :)

Keep up the great work Evie! We look forward to hearing from you soon! :)

A while back in tallulahangie’s journal she spoke of work place pressures to partake in Morning tea / afternoon tea and general ‘Foody’ type celebrations, be they Farewell’s or Birthdays etc. I too struggled with this issue until my work mates got used to my personal choice to not deviate from my planned ‘clean’ diet. it took a while but instead of pressure to indulge with comments such as “Go on 1 bite won’t hurt” or ‘Treat yourself” etc I am left alone. I do however now get questioned as to why I eat certain food at certain times and comments such as “That fish smells strong or yuck boiled eggs smell or how many egg whites do you eat???” these do get on my nerves esp. :P when I’m down on energy and not having the best ‘Mental’ day but I’m so far ok with it.

Back to my point (yes there is one) I stumbled across a women’s website and she offered an e-mail service – sending the below message to the less than helpful ‘CRAP PUSHERS’ such as those in the work place… thought I’d share the e-mail she sends out, bit of a laugh! :pfft:

Hello There!

You are receiving this email because it has been reported that you were trying to push someone who has taken on the challenge of a fitness goal into eating some crap. This person has set out on a mission to get herself in the best shape of her life. This requires eating some food that doesn't taste as great as what you are offering and it is very difficult and challenging to say no . It is a very very difficult sacrifice to make in giving up all the more delicious tasting foods in pursuit of a fit body and it becomes even more difficult when people like you constantly question what she is eating and and keep offering her more crappy food to eat. The crappy food you are offering may taste so delicious but the very sad and unfortunate truth is that it makes our bodies look like total shit. I wish it weren’t the case, but it is true.

Even if this person doesn’t need to lose any weight, the crappy food will STILL make her body look like shit so it’s not only about gaining or losing weight. Here is a person trying to accomplish a very difficult goal of getting and staying in great shape, and you come along and try to throw her off course. How about giving her a little support instead ? This process is very challenging.

If you want to eat crap go right ahead,.. we all make our own choices but there is no need to try and drag others down with you. Or maybe you just don’t realize that eating crap makes you look like crap (many people don’t know that) and you think it is just genetics or aging that causes us to have dangling lard all over our bodies? It doesn’t have to be that way. Start eating right as well, and you will soon see how nice you will start to look and feel and you will see that it is worth giving up the crap. There is no doubt that it SUCKS saying no all the time to the pizzas, the cookies, the cakes, the ice cream and such. It really does SUCK.

As delicious as all the crappy foods can be, they don’t come close to being as fun as it is to walk around in a lean, hard, tight body and look good in any piece of clothing. The right food will give you this look and feeling…foods such as plain chicken, oatmeal, fish, and vegetables. It’s a hard pill to swallow in giving up all the goodies but once you accept the facts you can make the best of it. How would you like to go clothes shopping and have everything look good on you? It is completely possible if you’ll stop eating all the crap and make the right choices each day.

So there you have it. That is why you were reported as a “crap pusher”. Eating right and exercising is very hard work but very worthwhile mission and you are welcome to join in on the fun! If you don’t want to, no big deal but please stop pushing the crap on others and just keep it to yourself.

Thanks,

Bunklers

(if you would like this letter emailed to someone who is bothering you, send an email to: bunklers@bunklers.com and give the name and email address of the offending person, and your name)

Ha ha - that is quite funny.

Actually when I was competing I got so hungry that I reached the stage when any food was fine - I didn't care about the taste. Beggers can't be chosers - and I was grateful for any crumb (or sniff of tuna or egg white) that I was allowed. I guess that is what it is like for people stranded on deserted islands etc ! Infact I remember watching Fear Factor once on TV while I was in pre-comp mode - thinking yep - I am so hungry I could eat bugs no probs. What are those fussy buggers going on about ?!

Hello There!

You are receiving this email because it has been reported that you were trying to push someone who has taken on the challenge of a fitness goal into eating some crap. This person has set out on a mission to get herself in the best shape of her life. This requires eating some food that doesn't taste as great as what you are offering and it is very difficult and challenging to say no . It is a very very difficult sacrifice to make in giving up all the more delicious tasting foods in pursuit of a fit body and it becomes even more difficult when people like you constantly question what she is eating and and keep offering her more crappy food to eat. The crappy food you are offering may taste so delicious but the very sad and unfortunate truth is that it makes our bodies look like total shit. I wish it weren’t the case, but it is true.

Even if this person doesn’t need to lose any weight, the crappy food will STILL make her body look like shit so it’s not only about gaining or losing weight. Here is a person trying to accomplish a very difficult goal of getting and staying in great shape, and you come along and try to throw her off course. How about giving her a little support instead ? This process is very challenging.

If you want to eat crap go right ahead,.. we all make our own choices but there is no need to try and drag others down with you. Or maybe you just don’t realize that eating crap makes you look like crap (many people don’t know that) and you think it is just genetics or aging that causes us to have dangling lard all over our bodies? It doesn’t have to be that way. Start eating right as well, and you will soon see how nice you will start to look and feel and you will see that it is worth giving up the crap. There is no doubt that it SUCKS saying no all the time to the pizzas, the cookies, the cakes, the ice cream and such. It really does SUCK.

As delicious as all the crappy foods can be, they don’t come close to being as fun as it is to walk around in a lean, hard, tight body and look good in any piece of clothing. The right food will give you this look and feeling…foods such as plain chicken, oatmeal, fish, and vegetables. It’s a hard pill to swallow in giving up all the goodies but once you accept the facts you can make the best of it. How would you like to go clothes shopping and have everything look good on you? It is completely possible if you’ll stop eating all the crap and make the right choices each day.

So there you have it. That is why you were reported as a “crap pusher”. Eating right and exercising is very hard work but very worthwhile mission and you are welcome to join in on the fun! If you don’t want to, no big deal but please stop pushing the crap on others and just keep it to yourself.

Thanks,

Bunklers

*Copy, paste, save :wink:

Thats great!

I'm a Poser :pfft:

Had a really good group posing session with a trainer there were 2 other girls and my BF all working together so it was good to see strengths and weaknesses of everyone as well as getting ideas of what looks good and what looks bad! Was a full on lesson and man oh man, I have never posed like this - holding each pose for 1 minute at a time over and over again, really highlighted how bad my everyday posture must be, as over the weekend I was still feeling it in my lower back. Only performed the poses bare feet - so I know that it'll be another level harder with comp shoes on, 'Holy balance Batman!'. So practise practise practise is the name of the game this week, have a room at gym to work in that has a timer so we'll set it for ever minute and go through poses.

Better post my diet for today:

AM Cardio

M1:Oats & Shake

M2:5 Egg Whites & 1/2 Oat Bar = (Carbs 20gms, Pro 10 gms)

M3:1/2 tin smoked fish & Kumara & Kiwi Fruit

M4:1/2 tin smoked fish & Kumara & 1 stalk celery & 1/2 WW Jelly

PM Training: Chest & Back

M5:Chicken breast & Beans & Broccoli

M6: Shake

Bed time

2 x Coffee

3 x Green Tea

1 x Coke Zero

1 x Energy Drink (sugar free)

3 x Lt Water

Works out around P:198 C:104 F:34 :shock:

Hey there Kiwi - umm energy was really low last week and I was pretty bloated too which didn't add to my moods plus hormonal too! But no big mood swings and got through workouts and cardio (even if some of it was half arsed cardio).

In terms of hunger levels I’m actually getting used to it and welcome that empty feeling at times (not all the time).

I'm more of a snack kinda girl, so not being able to pick at things and eat when I’m bored gets to me at times, I just try to keep busy. Oh and Easter product on sale at the moment gets to me - all the shiny colourful packages, in fact anything colourfully packaged is bugging me!

I haven't been completely insane yet (it's coming I'm sure) :twisted: - but did leave the front door to my house wide open all day while I was at work .... ummm yeah GOOD ONE!

Umm about 53-54 days to go

About 7ish weeks to go... you're doing brilliantly.

Do you train at Tony Martin's by any chance? There's quite a few ppl there that're doing the May comp lifter.gif

No I don't train there oftern as I live on the North Shore - sometimes get the chance to, like after we see Tony for B.Fat tests sometimes but that's it. He's a family friend of my Boy Friend, so we go to him for help even though we don't train there, which is very cool.

Yeah, he's put together a bit of a team for May - should do well!

Thanks Kiwi - so nice of you!

As for Cardio I am doing between 30-60mins a day now. Most of the time I break it up into 20 or 30 mins blocks and do it twice a day ie in the morning and then go back at lunch time or after work. This seems to be moving the fat and it also means that I still have the ability to increase my cardio some more to get results.

My diet has been fantastic this week and I'm not suffering from hunger too much, just enough to know that I am on a diet.

Yesterdays Diet

Pre AM Cardio Energy Drink

M1: Oats & Shake

M2: ½ Home made Oat Bar & 3 Egg Whites

M3: Tuna, Brown rice, Asparagus

½ a serve of Weight watchers Jelly

M4: Tuna, 3 Egg Whites, Asparagus

Pre workout: Shake

M5: 150gm Venison, Green Beans and Broccoli

M6: Shake

My training is good, I have strong days and weaker days, but I try to just power on! I will change my training to 1 body part per day in a few weeks, but plan on doing current 3 day split but introduce High Rep - Low weight & Average Reps - Heavy Days.

Still not going insane, but people at work who constantly comment on my food are annoying me no end - there is one old guy in particular who without fail will always have to say something, be it the egg white smell or 'yet another sugar free product... blah blah' ... (I had a Coke Zero in the fridge). Am tired a lot at the end of the day too, so don't say too much, just want to sit and be a zombie and this is mistaken for me being in a bad mood - for goodness sake, can't I just sit?

Never mind, I am enjoying the results (when I see them) but even the Check out lady at the super market commented that I've lost weight, and I had an amazing complement from a random lady I'd never spoken too before at the gym so all in all I feel good.

Also loving reading every one else’s journals – it’s great to know what other people are going through and dealing with too. :D

in particular who without fail will always have to say something, be it the egg white smell

Haha I hear this everyday from this dude that works next to me.

He over exaggerates, by saying 'g you can smell that from down the hall way'. I feel like going, well go for a walk.

Im sure hes gonna complain to the boss soon. haha. Get out of here I dont care, I just happened to eat egg whites while everyone eats sausage rolls and all that other sat fat crap :)

Oh btw, nice journal, interesting read.