Captains of Crush - Closing #3 - Akl NZ

Moose

AO, Moose is actually a client of HumanPerformance. I'm quite sure he's got nothing to do with pine pollen. But thanks for your efforts to make a new member feel welcome. :roll:

Moose, I think I remember HP telling me that each gripper was rated so that only 1 in x-many people could achieve it. Is that right?

Hi there, thanks for welcoming me on here.

Pseudonym, I have not heard it referred to specifically that way but I have been told the average body builder will struggle to close the #1 and that only 12 are certified worldwide on the number 3 this year. No one from Australia/NZ have been certified for the number 3 either.

I have only met one other that can close the number 2. Takes training and a natural strong grip I think to get there.

Only 5 worldwide have closed the #4.

As Pseudo mentioned Moose is a client of mine, has been for over a year now and during that time I have borrowed the #2 and taken it round the different gyms I work out of as I made it my mission to try find someone who could close it............ no one, not a soul I could find could close it, and i know some incredibly strong people.

I mean I can barbell row 140x10 for multipule sets without straps so my grip is not pathetic but I cant close it. Ive had the biggest strongest guys in the gym try it and then look at me and say "no one can close that, its impossible its a trick". But ive seen moose close it for 10 reps :shock:

I even made Moose come train at the albany branch to show the non believers it can be closed..... they were strangely silent.

Oh the other person Moose is talking about that can close #2 is Dale Sheppard

(former NZs strongest man). Dale is an COC official for NZ for anyone that wants to get certified to close any of the crushers.

It's a totally different event or exercise (whatever you want to call it) to gripping a heavy weight and holding onto it for a long time.

It's not that strange that the strongest ppl in gyms can't do it, they just don't train for it.

Practise makes perfect for something like this.

Out of interest what is your height/weight moose?

I went to a work related seminar a couple if years ago and there were 500 guys there and about 30 different booths were they taught you stuff or tested you. One was a grip strength meter hooked up to a computer. I thought I would be odds on to win the competition for the strongest guy there as it was mostly middle aged guys who didn't even lift. I got a pretty good result but I ended up coming second overall to a 50yo 5'4 80kg engineer :shifty:

Theres a few guys around who do these from time to time.

Matt Rossiter is pretty handy on these. I could never master crushing grip strength (or fat bar static strength) dispite holding the NZL record for Hercules Hold (narrow handled apparatus) for 3 or 4 years.

What I took from this is that each type of grip strength is quite specific - training it definately helps but genetics and hand size also count!!!

Theres a few guys around who do these from time to time.

Matt Rossiter is pretty handy on these. I could never master crushing grip strength (or fat bar static strength) dispite holding the NZL record for Hercules Hold (narrow handled apparatus) for 3 or 4 years.

What I took from this is that each type of grip strength is quite specific - training it definately helps but genetics and hand size also count!!!

Yeah Moose does have unusually large hands, and his 16 inch forearms probably help a bit as well :pfft:

Thats a long time to hold a NZ strongman record Nate, quite impressive.

Hi there, thanks for welcoming me on here.

Pseudonym, I have not heard it referred to specifically that way but I have been told the average body builder will struggle to close the #1 and that only 12 are certified worldwide on the number 3 this year. No one from Australia/NZ have been certified for the number 3 either.

I have only met one other that can close the number 2. Takes training and a natural strong grip I think to get there.

Only 5 worldwide have closed the #4.

jeezus I wouldnt want to shake hands with you bro. :pfft:

very impressive,I always want to get into grip training but then get sidetracked or forget.

I bet you can destroy people in arm wrestling as well?

Hey vracula, those CoC grippers became a bit of an addictive hobby more than anything. I don't really train grip specifically as they seem to get a pretty good workout by default if you don't use straps for everything.

I've won many pub arm wrestling comps and recently started attending the only arm wrestling club in Auckland if not NZ which is pretty fun and a good group of guys:

http://sonsofsamson.com/

Hey vracula, those CoC grippers became a bit of an addictive hobby more than anything. I don't really train grip specifically as they seem to get a pretty good workout by default if you don't use straps for everything.

I've won many pub arm wrestling comps and recently started attending the only arm wrestling club in Auckland if not NZ which is pretty fun and a good group of guys:

http://sonsofsamson.com/

That sounds cool.Love the sport but don't think it is for me i got skinny bitch wrists.