Acquiring bulk!

jimmybro1

fuu thats decent bro, aint nothing like a blackout (not that ive had one) :pfft:

yea i saw your DL video, good efforts and blemmin strong.

yea after i finish preppin with the contest im gonna go back to a lean bulk, none of this dreamer shit, put on too much fat, the cut again for beach season :lol:

fuu thats decent bro, aint nothing like a blackout (not that ive had one) :pfft:

yea i saw your DL video, good efforts and blemmin strong.

yea after i finish preppin with the contest im gonna go back to a lean bulk, none of this dreamer shit, put on too much fat, the cut again for beach season :lol:

Everyone's done a dreamer bulk!

Yeah a slower bulk is good, that way you can bulk for longer periods without feeling fat/bloated all the time. Also easier to diet down as you mentioned.

I have bulked every summer and cut every winter! Shows always seem to be in winter!

Trained legs this morning, lower back felt good after taking 4 complete days rest since the deadlift session, although so I thought.

Once I started squatting lower back felt tight on the 140kg warmup sets. I think I might have to alternate heavy squats and deadlifts for example.

One week do heavy squats and deload deadlifts (focus on form) and the other week heavy deadlifts and deload squats (focus on form).

This way I should be able to get around the issue, as well as improve technique.

Didn't realize how taxing deadlifts are!

Bulk has been going for almost 9 months now thinking about extending it for another year.

So compete in 2015 rather than 2014. Hopefully I can add 6kg LBM over the 24 month period if my genetics allow me too.

Keen to extend the bulk to achieve some strength goals that I have always wanted to reach and obviously to work on my weak/lacking body parts such as back and chest.

Will continue to increase calories and try keep bodyfat under 15%. May need to do mini cuts every 6-12 months (4 week cut).

Bulk has been going for almost 9 months now thinking about extending it for another year.

So compete in 2015 rather than 2014. Hopefully I can add 6kg LBM over the 24 month period if my genetics allow me too.

Keen to extend the bulk to achieve some strength goals that I have always wanted to reach and obviously to work on my weak/lacking body parts such as back and chest.

Will continue to increase calories and try keep bodyfat under 15%. May need to do mini cuts every 6-12 months (4 week cut).

reading this makes me miss bulking :lol:

after i do this comp thats my plan as well. but i wanna stay fairly lean this time and not go over 12%. il probably still do a little diet for summer for the bishes :pfft:

reading this makes me miss bulking :lol:

after i do this comp thats my plan as well. but i wanna stay fairly lean this time and not go over 12%. il probably still do a little diet for summer for the bishes :pfft:

Mate real women admire the bulk!

I just want to make massive improvements so the next time I step on stage physique would have significantly changed (hopefully :wink: ).

I think Loochie took the same approach and made massive improvements. Stepping on stage every year is only going to hinder progress. Besides wanting to have a decent go at powerlifting.

Aiming for:

Strength

Deadlift 250kg

Squat 220kg

OHP 120kg

Incline 100kgx5x5

Physique

Body Weight 100kg @ 10-12%

Better back thickness development and width

Better upper chest thickness

Overall Symmetry

I think Deadlifts are taxing my squatting a lot.

Ever since I started deadlifting my volume work on squats has had to drop. Haven't tried a max effort squat session yet.

My Squat day is Wednesday and Deadlift day Friday/Saturday. Last Saturday I took it easy on the deadlifts 5x5, yet my lower back still feels a lot taxed.

Feels fine throughout the day but when I have a heavy load on my back when squatting lower back is the first thing to give out rather than Quads/Hammys/Glutes...

Ever since I started deadlifting my volume work on squats has had to drop. Haven't tried a max effort squat session yet.

My Squat day is Wednesday and Deadlift day Friday/Saturday. Last Saturday I took it easy on the deadlifts 5x5, yet my lower back still feels a lot taxed.

Feels fine throughout the day but when I have a heavy load on my back when squatting lower back is the first thing to give out rather than Quads/Hammys/Glutes...

Alternate heavy deads one week and heavy squats the next, that should help with the back issues.

Alternate heavy deads one week and heavy squats the next, that should help with the back issues.

Yeah I have started doing this as of last week.

I think my body is just going to have to get use to the movement as I haven't done it for a long time.

Its odd as my lower back isn't tight or sore.

Trained shoulders this morning, felt nice and tight and no pain in elbow. Didn't push it to hard though as I'm getting a lot of front delt work with all the pressing I am doing at the moment.

Have decided to do the CAPO comp up in Auckland next weekend.

Going to have a go at some heavy single squats facing away from the mirror. Haven't squatted without a mirror before hopefully it has no influence on depth etc, also try get use to the knee wraps.

Will also do some volume work on deadlifts and incline bench.

Currently weighing 92.8kg as of this morning.

Chest & Triceps

Shoulders feel healthy and flexibility is good. Triceps where a little tight from the pressing on Saturday.

DB Flat Press 34kgx14, 38kgx12x3

DB Incline Press 34kgx14, 38kgx10x4

Machine Flies 76 (kg/lb?)x12x4

Tricep Extension 76lbx16x4

Also did some sparring starting to get back into boxing.

Trained Shoulders & Traps this morning.

Last workout before the CAPO meet, shoulders feel good and healthy.

Was a bit of a deload workout reduced intensity to about 80% of my lifts.

Can't decide on what numbers to open on.

Squat

Managed to squat 180kg for 2 easy on Saturday so might go for a 195kg Squat and open with 170kg.

Bench

Don't do much flat benching but if shoulder is good should be able to get 130kg so might open with 110kg to get a feel for the weight/technique.

Deadlift

Haven't been deadlifting for long but when I go heavy my lower back is really taxed so will probably only be able to have one attempt at a decent weight so really got to think what I want to open with. :think:

EDIT: Just crushed my thumb at work already black and blue! :twisted:

Just got back from the doctors for regular check up to make sure everything is in order.

Blood pressure 132/70 -> A lot better than last offseason! (Normal range)

Height -> 180cm seems I have shrunk 2cm since the last checkup a year ago... heavy squats perhaps?

Weight -> 96kg this was a shock especially since I was only wearing a T-shirt ,stubbies and no shoes... Must be all the food and water I drank...

Was going to also get a blood test but will do it at a later date.

Lower back is a little tight when driving apart from that should be ready for comp. Thumb also a lot better still pretty bruised.

First power lifting competition was a bit of a learn curve. But a good experience heaps of like minded people.

Squat 170 WRR 180RWR 180 WWW

Bench 120 WRW 125 RRR 125 RRR

Deadlift 180 WWW 190 WRR 190 WWW

Cheers for the video Leeroid.

You did really well man, good to hear you enjoyed it. Powerlifting would be a good way to stay focused especially if you decide to have a two year off season

Yeah would definitely be keen to do it again and crack well into that 500kg Total.

It was good meeting you yesterday mate. Well done in your lifting! Looking forward to seeing your gains if/when you next compete.

Thanks Pab's you did some good lifting yourself as did your son's.

Was a good atmosphere.

You did really well man, good to hear you enjoyed it. Powerlifting would be a good way to stay focused especially if you decide to have a two year off season

Hit the nail on the head Tom - is why I got into it.

Keep at it JB - try and get in with someone to coach your lifts every now and then - once you have the set up sorted you will get less reds - all comes with experience but you did get points in all 3 and posted a good first total - onwards and upwards.

Will we see you for Bench Wars in July?

Hit the nail on the head Tom - is why I got into it.

Keep at it JB - try and get in with someone to coach your lifts every now and then - once you have the set up sorted you will get less reds - all comes with experience but you did get points in all 3 and posted a good first total - onwards and upwards.

Will we see you for Bench Wars in July?

Cheers Opti.

Could be tempted to do the bench competition. Not a particularly strong lift for me going to do more accessory work.

I have a few friends in Hamilton that are involved with powerlifting that are keen to show me the ropes. Learn't a lot on the day, judges were helpful.

I hope you quad injury recovers quickly nasty injury to have.

Chest & Triceps

Incline DB Press 30kgx20, 36kgx16, 38kgx14, 40kgx12

Flat DB Press 36kgx14, 38kgx12, 40kgx10, 42kgx8

Stand Cable Flies 70lbx20, 80lbx16, 90lbx14, 50lbx25

Close Grip Bench 60kgx20, 80kgx8x3

Tricep Cable Extensions

Glutes and lower back are a bit tight.

Quads & Hamstrings

This workout was wicked the intensity was insane one of the best workouts yet this year. Lifts weren't phenomenal but the intensity! Finish the workout with a vomit in the car park going to have to replace those macro's :lol:

Hi-bar Squats 60kgx20, 100kgx14, 140kgx10x4

Leg Press 300kgx20x4

Stiff leg deadlift 60kgx20, 80kgx16, 100kgx12x2, 80kgx14

Seated Hamstring Curls 82kgx16, 89kgx14, 96kgx12x2

Seated Single Leg Extensions 66kg(lbs?)x20, 80kg(lbs?)x16, 96kg(lbs?)x16x2

Had a massive headache halve way through this workout (usually happens when training legs). This workout was done in 50 minutes!

Macro's

Carbohydrates 500g

Protein 290g

Fat 100g

Calories 4060

Haven't had much opportunity to train the past few days have been working long hours and working through this weekend and next week.

Itching to get back into the gym, will definitely take a month or two off work after this project.

Absolutely destoyed Quads and Hamstrings this morning!

High Bar Squats 60kgx20, 100kgx16, 140kgx10x3, 140kgx9 (Failed on tenth) 

Leg Press 260kgx20x4

Stiffleg Deadlifts 60kgx20, 80kgx16x3 (Had a massive headache and felt nauseous)

Seat Hamstring Curls 5 sets

Single Leg Extensions 5 sets

Been doing a lot of hip flexor stretches throughout the week to work on hip flexiblity I think it has helped a lot.