NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
jimmybro1

Acquiring bulk!

Back

-BW Pull-ups 12x4

-Rack Pulls 140kgx20, 180kgx14, 190kgx12, 200kgx8, 210kgx4

-Bent Over Rows Overhand

-DB bent over rows

Didn't sleep at all the night before this workout, was far to hot and couldn't switch off. Woke up at the usual 5:00am and decided that working out is probably better than not. Didn't end up training biceps as I usually do with back.

Macros

390g Carbohydrates

70g Fat

300g Protein

Shoulders & Traps

-Military Press 60kgx10x4 (felt great)

-DB Front Raises 16kgX16, 18kgx12x3

-Lateral Raises Seated 18kgx12x4

-Cable Face Pulls

-Shrugs

First time doing Military Press in ages, love the movement. Will do 70kgx8x4 next week.

Macros

Monday:Chest & Triceps

Tuesday:Back & Biceps

Wednesday:Shoulders & Traps

Thursday: Quads & Hamstrings

Friday:Back & Chest

Saturday:Rest

Sunday: Quads & Hamstrings

Nice split. I'll be keen to see how you find it. :nod:

Cheers Pseudonym will be interesting to see how recovery is. Won't be training to failure so should be fine.

No failure? Hmm, ok. I guess the theory is that the extra volume from twice-weekly workouts negates the need for the extra intensity? Not sure I agree with that (especially since you've got such a well-arranged split) but you've got to try these things sometimes, eh? :D

No failure? Hmm, ok. I guess the theory is that the extra volume from twice-weekly workouts negates the need for the extra intensity? Not sure I agree with that (especially since you've got such a well-arranged split) but you've got to try these things sometimes, eh? :D

I am staying 1 rep from failure, this way I can get greater volume. When you work to failure on a particular set your next set you won't get as much volume at the same of greater weight.

The idea is to progress with weight to build both strength and muscle. For example:

Week 1: 10x4

Week 2: 8x4

Week 3: 6x4

Week 4: 4x4

Week 5: 3x3

Then repeat now starting with an increased weight for the 10x4. This is for the compound exercises only all the other assistance work will be in a different rep range.

Alot research suggesting that training to failure isn't the way to go especially for people not using PED's. I have previously been training to failure the last 2 years of my training and have had good results but recently hit a wall. Hopefully this concept will help me get over the wall. Will give it a good try for the next 3-4 months so I can see if this method of training suits me.

Team 3DMJ, Layne Norton and a few other pro's suggest this type of training. At the moment the whole push and pull workout routine seems to be the rave personally not a fan of full body workouts though.

Currently working on site which is out of town so struggling to find the time to add to my workout journal.

I am however sticking to my training regime and diet.

Doing a three 1 foot double meat sub challenge tonight hopefully it turns out well :shifty:

Have dropped for keeping this Workout Journal up to date. I have been strict with time being out on site for the past few months. When I get home absolutely exhausted and just eat then go to bed.

I have been keeping up with my training though and still eating well. Ended up moving my calories to 3,600 but increasing carbohydrates.

Currently 92 kg and have another 12 months to reach my goal of 100 kg I should be able to do this reasonably easily, I have been in the 100+ kg club before but this time want to be a lot leaner obviously.

I haven't been looking at particular competitions next year but plan on competing around August, will diet for around 20 weeks wanting to get to a new level of shredded. :shock:

As for strength all my lifts seem to be improving nothing really extreme though.

An update

Weight

Weighed in this morning at 92.1 kg evening weight will be 1-2kg heavier than this.

Macros at the moment are:

Carbohydrates: 400g

Protein: 280g

Fat: 80g

Calories: 3440

Happy with weight gain at the moment and still got reasonable conditioning.

Strength

Strength gains have been great especially in squats and rowing movements.

01/01/2013

Squat 1RM: 180kg

Bent Over Rows: 100kgx10

Military Press: 80kgx4

Incline Barbell Press: 85kgx10 (Hoping to do a 1RM in the coming weeks)

27/03/2013

Squat 1RM: 190kg

Bent Over Rows: 120kgx6

Military Press: 80kgx6

Incline Barbell Press: 90kgx10 (Hoping to do a 1RM in the coming weeks)

Still another 12 months for the offseason to go hoping to make some good strength gains and hit some mile stones.

Probably the Taupo INBA competition and another competitions that are on around that time.

Will be focusing on that comp though.

Got a long way until i'm pushing weights close to yours!

Had a wicked training at my old gym in Te Awamutu were I first started lifting the same staff even works there!

Hit heaps of PB's benched 100kg x 6 on the incline and nailed 140kg x 6 on the bent over rows! :shock:

Crazy improvements in strength or perhaps I'm much strong later in the morning than my usual 5 am workouts. Not changes in weight but definitely happy with strength.

If my knee wraps arrive before Thursday coming i'm going to attempt a 200kg squat will video and post in here. Might be ambitious but i'm going for it!

Weighed in this morning at 92kg have been steadily increasing weight by about 1kg every month.

Strength is good going for max-effort squats next Thursday.

A bulking update photo.

post-5811-14193869833558_thumb.jpg

Thanks man, delts and arms have always been a strong point.

Really focusing on chest and back this offseason, want to get that 3D look on the back!

Hope to get a video of my max-effort squats next week!

Just got back from the gym from max effort squats hit 180kg with ease but on the 190kg attempted half way up bar rolled off traps tried to correct with grip and long story short I think I hyper-extended my elbow.

Knee wraps felt good and can easily hit depth with them now. Going to have to wait for the next max effort session to get that 200kg. :(

Turns out my elbow injury is worse than I thought the pain has gone to my shoulder and m arm feels completely dead.

Going to physio today, I think its best if I take the rest of the week off and come back to it next week. Will just train legs and maybe some core work.

Workout routine for the rest of the week:

Tuesday: OFF

Wednesday: Quads and Hamstrings (Hack Squats, Leg Press)

Thursday: Cardio & Core

Friday: OFF

Saturday: Quads and Hamstrings

Sunday: Lower Back (Hyperextensions & Goodmornings)

Trying to avoid loading elbow and shoulder the lock out position hurts the most so rules out deadlifts also just the bar set up on my back hurts elbow/shoulder.

With probably take Ibuprofen before bed at half the recommended dose.

Hopefully will recover in this time, just a pain as I have been making such good progress over the past few weeks. Never taken a week off though so might have some benefits. Not sure if I will adjust my calorie intake.

guttered about the injury bro, get that shit sorted. your right maybe a week off might do some good, come back stronger and more eager :nod:

good stuff on the squats as well, its one of my favorite movements at the moment.

guttered about the injury bro, get that shit sorted. your right maybe a week off might do some good, come back stronger and more eager :nod:

good stuff on the squats as well, its one of my favorite movements at the moment.

Thanks man.

Just got back from the physio apparently I may have pinched a nerve in my shoulder/elbow however I did pass the nerve test. I'm hoping its just a typically strain of something but there is absolutely no power in one of my arms feels limp.

Was nice to get a massage from a not to bad looking young lady though :wink:

Here are some photos from NABBA-NAC Nationals last year that I competed in. Was really high level of competition compared to previous years. Was happy with conditioning but want to make a few improvements this off season.

Posing also wasn't the best at the time, something else I want to improve. Looking forward to compare these photos with the 2014 season.

post-2-14166816690726_thumb.jpg

post-5811-14193869818734_thumb.jpg

Just got back from the physio apparently the shoulder/elbow injury is cause my a muscle imbalance with my lats...

Below is a picture my physio took, the red areas are where she has been massaging trying to loosen the muscle. Hopefully be back to normal soon wanting to compete in a novice powerlifting competition.

Training light sucks looking forward to coming right.

Workout today consisted of:

-Hyperextensions 10kgx20x5

-Good Mornings 50kgx16x3

-Abdominal Work

-DB curls 14kgx20x5

Got a pretty intense lower back pump from this felt like concert also the pump in arms was good too. No pain during the workout at all. Wasn't able to do cable crunches though could feel a bit of tension on elbow that wasn't so comfortable.

hate training light! doesnt feel like im really training at all, suppose its better than nothing though.

looking decent in those photos bro your tris and delts look pretty boss, you be looking even meaner in 2014! i always see NZA post photos of that Allan Laumatia guy, epic physique for a natty guy, looks lean as hell even in the off season.

what power lifting comp you gonna do?

hate training light! doesnt feel like im really training at all, suppose its better than nothing though.

looking decent in those photos bro your tris and delts look pretty boss, you be looking even meaner in 2014! i always see NZA post photos of that Allan Laumatia guy, epic physique for a natty guy, looks lean as hell even in the off season.

what power lifting comp you gonna do?

Aiming to do the Novice Waikato Competition in July, need something to aim towards in the offseason other than bodyweight!

Yeah the plan is to make some good improvements to certain areas which I think as I know what my body response well to in terms of diet and training now took a while to work out.

Yeah Allan has really good proportions look forward to competing against him in the 2014 Taupo Classic! He's a pretty humble guy talked to him a few times I think he is pretty religious.

You should enter a powerlifting competition yourself this off season your got some impressive lifts!