Acquiring bulk!

jimmybro1

3 hours ago, jimmybro1 said:

Basic workout but took about 2 hours because of long rest periods. Was really hot in gym and was sweating like crazy so was chopping back water between sets. Drank probably around 3-4 liters during the workout. 

Squats felt fast and tight. Lower back pump was ridiculous doing SLDL after squats so called it early on them was painful as f*ck never been like that before. Anyone had this issue? Know how to subside it? 

Less Dbol, perhaps? ;-)

I don't know for sure, but it may be possible that an unusually high level of sweating, combined with an unusually high water intake, lowered your sodium levels significantly - thus causing a crampy/pumpy thing in your lower back. (That's the technical description.) Maybe taking some electrolytes during the workout would have helped.

14 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Less Dbol, perhaps? ;-)

I don't know for sure, but it may be possible that an unusually high level of sweating, combined with an unusually high water intake, lowered your sodium levels significantly - thus causing a crampy/pumpy thing in your lower back. (That's the technical description.) Maybe taking some electrolytes during the workout would have helped.

Full natty brah 

Have you never had this issue before? It could be an electrolyte imbalance 

18 hours ago, jimmybro1 said:

Squats felt fast and tight. Lower back pump was ridiculous doing SLDL after squats so called it early on them was painful as f*ck never been like that before. Anyone had this issue? Know how to subside it? 

this has happened to me when hamstrings were already tight, they got not as much distance to stretch (strong medical understanding) so lower back does more work = pump

16 minutes ago, maccaz said:

this has happened to me when hamstrings were already tight, they got not as much distance to stretch (strong medical understanding) so lower back does more work = pump

I think your on the money bro. 

They were tight as hell. Training hamstrings EOD so tight as. Want them massive sweeping hamstrings ! 

31 minutes ago, jimmybro1 said:

I think your on the money bro. 

They were tight as hell. Training hamstrings EOD so tight as. Want them massive sweeping hamstrings ! 

yeah for sure, try deadlift with noticeable tight hamstrings and you will get sore lower back, let alone sldl

in on massive hamstrings, mine are crap

24/01 

bench 100x5, 120x1, 130x1, 140x1, 145x1 (all pause press) 

lat pull downs 80x5x16 

wide grip horizontal row 4x16 

bench felt good today. Opener for bench at beach sorted. Planned numbers 140/145/147.5 

stoked with progress bench still isn't quite where it was but getting there. 

29/01 GPC Bench at beach 

Saturday competed at the bench and beach competition at the mount. On Friday night was 104kg before bed and in the morning before leaving to the mount 103kg. Didn't eat or drink before weigh in and managed to get to 101.6kg just off the u100 weight class. Was doing 30-45 minutes cardio for two weeks without changing diet and managed to lose 4.5kg in that time. 

Wasnt to fussed about weigh in but was keen to see what I could do. Wanted to build on fitness anyways. 

Felt good on the day and opened with 140 and lost balance or something and the bar drifted off to the left throwing me out of my line. Still grinded the rep out. 

Second atrempt did 145 focused a lot more on setup and taking my time and smoked it moved fast. 

Thrid attempt was planning to do 147.5 but since 145 moved so well decided to go for 150 which I missed on the lock out. The attempt felt good wicked tightness and setup felt on point just lacked the power when transitioning from the shoulders to triceps. 

Overall happy with how meet went. Goal is 160 for next meet and 170 tng this year. 

Video of attempts 

The overall winner of the meet was Nigel Cordes with a 195 press @108kg video below 

Soundsgood decided to bench equipped last minute and opened with 260 but missed the lift. Got a press call from Simon before touching the chest and couldn't lock out the rep. The decent of the lift looked painful! Equipped lift is cray! 

Will have to to get a beer next time @Realtalk cheers for providing the bench and bar bro. 

03/02 

squats 140x5x8, 160x1, 180x1 

all squats belt less 180 flew up. Got heavy heart  pupations between sets so decided to call it there. Might see GP as some definitely doesn't seem right. Been monitoring blood pressure past few days and have noticed the difference between my systolic and  diastolic pressure is greater than 60. I believe this is call pulse pressure and should be <60mmHg. Maybe this is the cause. Blood pressure isn't crazy but diastolic low. My average is 132/59 which is a pulse pressure of 73mmHg. 

When end I get tested at doctor they always focus on systolic pressure and don't measure diastolic accurately if below 90 in my experience. However nurses do. 

10 minutes ago, jimmybro1 said:

03/02 

squats 140x5x8, 160x1, 180x1 

all squats belt less 180 flew up. Got heavy heart  pupations between sets so decided to call it there. Might see GP as some definitely doesn't seem right. Been monitoring blood pressure past few days and have noticed the difference between my systolic and  diastolic pressure is greater than 60. I believe this is call pulse pressure and should be <60mmHg. Maybe this is the cause. Blood pressure isn't crazy but diastolic low. My average is 132/59 which is a pulse pressure of 73mmHg. 

When end I get tested at doctor they always focus on systolic pressure and don't measure diastolic accurately if below 90 in my experience. However nurses do. 

you sure this isnt just lack of fitness from time out?

2 minutes ago, maccaz said:

you sure this isnt just lack of fitness from time out?

It's a possibility, but I've been doing 45min cardio everyday for the past 3 weeks thought fitness would have improved. 

Im just going to keep taking morning and evening BPs and recording them to see what exactly is happening. Pulse pressure is high though and systolic isn't crazy only averaging 132. I think I know what maybe causing the issue potentially though. 

• 4 weeks later...

After getting food poisoning early last week in Melbourne I haven't really had a proper training session since. Hence not logging. 

Friday 

squats 160x3, 180x5x4 

hack squat 140x5x12 

sumo sldl 120x8x12 

saturday 

gym closed earlier than I was able to get there so trained at home in humid as Fark garage. 

Strict ohp standing 80x5x6 

behind head ohp standing 55x4x12

i have decided to return to rugby this season as powerlifting is going to be on the back burner. Need to get back into sports with more endurance base. Also tossing up weather to return to athletics for the 100/200m and javelin. Perviously was 400/800m runner for 13+ years and managed to place at national events so eager to see if wheels still got it. Also a good 20kg heavier though.... 

Yeah, you've got to be careful about what you eat when travelling to third-world countries... ;-)

On 27/02/2016 at 8:48 AM, jimmybro1 said:

Perviously was 400/800m runner for 13+ years and managed to place at national events so eager to see if wheels still got it. Also a good 20kg heavier though.... 

A lot of that weight would be in the legs though. Do you think that extra muscle will mean more power?

1 minute ago, Pseudonym said:

Yeah, you've got to be careful about what you eat when travelling to third-world countries... ;-)

A lot of that weight would be in the legs though. Do you think that extra muscle will mean more power?

Yup a lot more power. 

My 40m  sled pulls have improved significantly, but my 100/200 metres times are poor and fitness lacking a lot.

you still need a lot of fitness even for shorter events. 

The cyclinders are definitely a lot bigger! I wish my coach had me resistance training. 

Yet another injury. 

Earlier in the week was playing around with amrap sets on the squats without a belt did a sets of 160x16, 160x12, 140x16, 100x20 

back felt fine but really pumped/uncomfortable. 

Come the following morning went to pick up keys from the ground and tweeked lower back! Went to physio that had and following morning couldn't even walk ! 

Physio loosened the the muscle supporting the spine which made it more   Susceptible to  manipulation . This is to supposedly to allow the ligaments to heal. 

Come this morning still having difficulties getting out of bed but walking is about 6/10 pain rather than 8/10. 

Physio not sure at this stage if ligament or disc issue. It's in a  suspicious location, will depend if gets progressively worse or better. 

Ive had plenty of lower back injuries and one as painful as this before I normally turn it around in 3-6days with heat packs and rehab. Hoping this is the case. 

Anywho those squats were a walk in the park still got it. Additional fitness helped a lot, also not wearing belt stops me from getting gassed so fast. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/03/2016 at 6:50 AM, jimmybro1 said:

Yet another injury. 

Earlier in the week was playing around with amrap sets on the squats without a belt did a sets of 160x16, 160x12, 140x16, 100x20 

back felt fine but really pumped/uncomfortable. 

Come the following morning went to pick up keys from the ground and tweeked lower back! Went to physio that had and following morning couldn't even walk ! 

Physio loosened the the muscle supporting the spine which made it more   Susceptible to  manipulation . This is to supposedly to allow the ligaments to heal. 

Come this morning still having difficulties getting out of bed but walking is about 6/10 pain rather than 8/10. 

Physio not sure at this stage if ligament or disc issue. It's in a  suspicious location, will depend if gets progressively worse or better. 

Ive had plenty of lower back injuries and one as painful as this before I normally turn it around in 3-6days with heat packs and rehab. Hoping this is the case. 

Anywho those squats were a walk in the park still got it. Additional fitness helped a lot, also not wearing belt stops me from getting gassed so fast. 

Bugger.  Did a similar thing at new year's. Was camping and took 2hours to get out of tent and st and up lol. Not nice

39 minutes ago, Bigken1985 said:

Bugger.  Did a similar thing at new year's. Was camping and took 2hours to get out of tent and st and up lol. Not nice

Yeah mate sucks. 

Update: I haven't trained for about three weeks now I think just cardio type training getting ready for rugby season. 

Strenght training is on the back burner for the next 6 months to many injuries, and don't find the training as enjoyable working around injuries. 

Back has slight bulging disc and is recovering nicely with exercises given by physio. 

1 hour ago, jimmybro1 said:

Yeah mate sucks. 

Update: I haven't trained for about three weeks now I think just cardio type training getting ready for rugby season. 

Strenght training is on the back burner for the next 6 months to many injuries, and don't find the training as enjoyable working around injuries. 

Back has slight bulging disc and is recovering nicely with exercises given by physio. 

Just watch the rugby. Heaps of guys get messed with that

• 2 months later...