NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
not_bigenough

Mutant Whey

If you compare the price (as above) - I guess balance stuff falls on the expensive hand. Which one do you think falls in the same range as that of Mutant (as in a blend with a good BCAA profile) and is at par with the price (& serve)

Cheers.

If you compare the price (as above) - I guess balance stuff falls on the expensive hand. Which one do you think falls in the same range as that of Mutant (as in a blend with a good BCAA profile) and is at par with the price (& serve)

How is Balance a more expensive option that Mutant whey? Mutant whey is 61% protein - Balance 100% whey is around 80% protein. In a 5lb tub of Mutant whey you get 1.38kg of protein, in a 1.5kg balance 100% whey you get 1.2kg of protein, the rrp on Mutant whey is $120, and Balance $112 so they're about the same price per kg of actual protein. But then you've got to stop and ask yourself why Mutant Whey is only 61% protein and only manages 22grams of protein per 36gram serve vs balance 24gram protein per 30g serve?

How is Balance a more expensive option that Mutant whey? Mutant whey is 61% protein - Balance 100% whey is around 80% protein. In a 5lb tub of Mutant whey you get 1.38kg of protein, in a 1.5kg balance 100% whey you get 1.2kg of protein, the rrp on Mutant whey is $120, and Balance $112 so they're about the same price per kg of actual protein. But then you've got to stop and ask yourself why Mutant Whey is only 61% protein and only manages 22grams of protein per 36gram serve vs balance 24gram protein per 30g serve?

Agreed, people need to start reading nutrition labels as opposed to what is written across the front. The front might say 50g of protein per serve, but the serve could be like 80g and you only get half a dozen in the tub.

Thanks folks, agree with you in some respect.

Although, I guess the comparison shouldn't stop only at the protein per serve & its serving size. In my previous comment I did mention that Mutant is a blend formula and I wanted to know the Balance equivalent of it - if you closely look at the amino acid profile on Mutant I believe that overrides the one of Balance (for each of the items). And if you want to get those extra amino acids then you have to supplement them them separately (at extra cost obviously). So, is Balance still cheaper than Mutant?

I believe the Balance product you have mentioned in the discussion is this one - http://www.balancesportsnutrition.com/P ... EIN-WPCWPI

Mutant is here : - http://www.iammutant.com/products/mutan ... lfacts.php

BTW, I believe part of the problem is everything is a overpriced in NZ - so just have to live with it I guess.

FYI - I do pay close look at the Nutrition Label (actually even before looking at the front :) )

I am more than happy to move from Mutant - if you can give me the right alternative!

Thanks

The Mutant Whey amino acid profile is based on "Per Serving when used as suggested"

They suggest to use 2 x 36g scoops as serve - in other words you have to halve the figures to get what is in one 36g scoop.

This means there is only 1.3g of isoleucine in each 36g scoop.

Whereas the Balance has 1.6g of isoleucine in only a 30g scoop, or 1.9g per 36g if you wanted to compare it to a Mutant Whey scoop.

I can very much appreciate how posts are made and deleted shortly after.

Researching nutrition and training in depth is great. Understanding the complex details does ironically lead back to exactly what Flex and severe have posted here.

So for the time being at least, please just accept the good advices and chive on.

Time to get RATM on the MP3 player me thinks