wraps vs sleeves

mbag012

Preference totally depends on goals. I assume you're talking about knee sleeves and wraps? I myself prefer knee sleeves, although I've never actually used wraps.

Knee sleeves help provide a little bit of compression around the joint, and a lot of heat. Basically they just help keep the joint well lubricated and sometimes help with joint alignment, usually made of neoprene. You can leave these on for a whole session with no discomfort.

Knee wraps on the otherhand provide an elastic recoil at the bottom of a squat, essentially giving you additional kgs to your lift. They also help provide compression and alignment to the joint, but they're much much tighter than sleeves and made of different material to get that elastic rebound. Because of how tight knee wraps need to be, you have to take them off after every set and re-wrap them to use again. Can be quite a hassle if you're doing multiple heavy sets, but necessary and very useful for those competing fully equipped.

If you have bad knees, sometimes a knee sleeve won't provide enough support so a looser knee wrap is required. So like I said, which ones to use entirely depend on your goals.

the sleeves dont really add weight to the lift do they?

Maybe an optimistic 5kg. If you had poor joint tracking and the sleeves helped your knees track better, and they were really tight, then possibly 10kg at absolute most. For myself I don't really think I get anything weight wise, it's more peace of mind and added confidence having them on, and they don't get sore the day after like they occasionally did before I began using them.