diet tips please!

lh323

Super new to all this so bare with me!

Im 19, currently weigh in at 62kg, 157cm short

Currently gym train 5x week with a good mix of cardio and weights. Aiming to burn fat and tone up as most young females are im sure!

Would really love any nutrition tips/diet advice from all your pros! I do eat generally well but i am sure theres always room for improvements, expecially with these lose fat/tone muscle goals in mind!

Heres a sample of my diet below based on a typical day for me.

Breakfast: half a cup of rolled oats, 1 cup low fat milk. Banana

(If i gym in the morning, i have a small 100gm can of creamed rice instead of breakfast before my workout and follow it with a banana and 200ml of Horley's Ice Whey Protein drink (3 scoops of protein with 180ml water) after my workout)

(If i gym in the evening I have a protein shake after my workout and follow it with dinner an hour later.)

Lunch: Chicken/tuna and salad (spinach, tomato, carrot, sprouts) vogels sandwich or wholemeal wrap. 1 Apple

Dinner: Usually a chicken breast with vegies (broccoli/spinach/tomato/carrots.. just whatever is in the fridge. I avoid starch vegetables as much as possible) or steak with broccoli/ homemade meat and vegetable casserole/ chicken and vegie stirfry. I dont eat rice because i dont like it but occasionally I will have quinoa as a side.

Often if i dont feel like cooking I will have a fruit and yoghurt smoothie instead (1cup frozen berries, small banana, 1 cup low fat milk, 1 cup yoghurt and a drizzle of honey)

Snack foods: a few squares of dark (70% cocoa) chocolate/ handful of prunes or raisins/ kiwifruit/ light cruskits with vegemite or peanut butter/ apple/ yoghurt/ a few pieces of sushi (i dont snack everyday, only when im hungry! and i usually only have 1 of the above choices)

Nice treats: My healthy 'treats" are poached eggs or baked beans on vogels toast once a week and sometimes special K cereal. I will also occassionaly make a low fat dinner using low fat mince (1-2x a month)

Naughty treats: Obviously i still have treats occasionally (eg. a side of fries when going out with friends/ icecream with the boyfriend/ a few drinks every few weeks) I dont believe in depriving yourself because it only causes binging later!

I would love feedback (good/bad) and any tips on how to improve. remember im looking to lose body fat and tone more!

Welcome to nzbb

Its great youve posted up your typical daily diet, it looks clean and you will be making progress in the gym no doubt.

If your looking to lose weight however the key thing that you havnt meantioned is how many calories your eating total per day

You need to work out your daily maintanance and calories for weight loss under the diet section on this website and then work out how many calories per day your eating on a site like myfitnesspal.

Bottom line is your diet is spot on for getting healthy but if your not in calorie deficit each day you wont lose any decent amount of fat

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Swap your prunes and raisins for almonds. Fruit has sugar, while almonds have protein.

Push past the "I can't be arsed" with missing cooked meals. :grin:

Keep the protein up. I cook almost everything in a wok. Not all together, but it is a great tool. and quick. A majority is paleo.

Awesome that you posted. Train well.

I had written a long winded post, until I reviewed it and saw you are a female. I deleted most of it. I had suggested to have poached eggs with breakfast, and your shake between breakfast and lunch. If you find you need to, this would give you protein over a longer timeframe, and curb your hunger too.

You may have to play with your diet until you get the best fit for your gym demands and fitness goals.