1 day training per week.

ohjoshua

Lately I have only been able to manage one day per week (full time work and full time uni and a new baby)

I have actually just returned to my top strength levels on most of my lifts.

-------------------

I was wondering if any one has made good progress training one day per week and what programs have worked.

--------------

atm am doing bench, squats, rows (sometimes faster lighter, normaly heavy or heavy for reps)

then some assitance exercises depending.

(I also do chin-ups, push up and lunges at home)

Firstly I would say good one you for getting your priorities in order. It's not easy especially with kids. That said, I think I am a better father because I have the gym 6 days a week. But our circumstances are all different of course and one day per week is better than none.

I personally think it is difficult to make progress on one day a week training. But if you can train your upper body and lower body with a core movement and some assistance then there is in theory no difference why you can't progress. A modified 5x5 or 5/3/1 could work. I would do a squat or a deadlift and then lower body assistance and then a pressing movement and assistance.

The other approach is to look for other ways to get to the gym. I train in the mornings early on some days before work. And sometimes at lunchtime. These maybe options.

Keep us posted mate. Recovery shouldn't be an issue anyway! :)

fanks for your feed back Doc.

I like the idea of 5/3/1 for one day a week.

This program actually only has the frequency of one time per week on all major lifts so in theory it could suit a 1 day a week training program.

I also havent actualy done a 5/3/1 program b4 so it should be fun.

imo 5*5 is reliant on the higher frequency to make gains.

I will do 5/3/1 and just do less assitance work (stil doing lunges, push ups and chin ups at home.)

I do a full body routine twice a week which is working well. I believe you could do it once day a week, though obviously not optimal. And you would probably get 3 day DOMS after each session haha

This is what I would do personally based on my current routine (derived from Stewart McRoberts Hardgainer), pushing as hard as possible on each exercise

1x20 Squat

1x10 Romanian Deadlift

2x6 Bench Press

2x8 Row

1x10 Chinup

1x6 Overhead Press

1x15 Calves

1x15 Abs

Didn't include an exercise for bis & tris as wasn't sure how this would go on time. But would probably do 1x15 for each (unless you prefer low reps). But benching & chins would still allow them to get a bit of work either way

Greemah: do you make good progress with your low volume routine?

Yep, best thing I ever did was change to low volume. Granted this isn't ideal for everyone but a year ago I switched to a similar routine to this (twice a week) and it was the best change to my training I ever made.

If you can only train once a week I think it would be worth a shot, worst case scenario you will maintain your muscle/strength and if you aren't making gains after a month or so then could try something else

• 2 weeks later...
with 5-3-1 one day per week I have only been doing squats and bench of the program.

I have done first 3 weeks. Week 4 would normally be a deload. but I dont think i need it tbh...

Do i go straight to testing maxes? :D

I would be reluctant to test maxes after 1 cycle. I would add 5 kg to your squat 1RM and 2.5 kg to your deadlift 1RM and start a new 3 week cycle.

What sort of reps have you been getting?

on 3rd week got 9 for squats and 6 for bench

but I went 2.5kg heavyer for bench.

So still just roll back into week 1? no need to do a deload aye?

Personally, I would stick to the plan and deload. Have a cruise at about 60% and freshen up. You are still benching and squatting once a week as you would normally. You should be able to put together several cycles if you are smart.

I would also stick with the same weight for bench as 6 reps is not huge in your first cycle. Probably means that 2.5 kg jump was a bad idea! Think about the big picture and not just that week! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

got a 210kg, 10kg PB for squats (all time PB)

so quite happy that training 1 day per week can get results.

Bench no PB :(, but will give the 5-3-1 routine another crack :D (i am going to do heavyer singles for bench instead of the deload week I think this will help.)