Juic'n

Kiwijuice

Kevin Levrone said he slept 10 hours a night and he thinks that had a really big effect on his recovery and gains.

Protein synthesis and tissue repair doesn't occur to any greater extent than while your're awake. The whole when you sleep you grow thing is a myth. The function of sleep is to consolidate memories and to organize your thoughts.

There's just no way at all thats true. Where did you get that from ?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its from a Doctor and lecturer who runs one of the leading sleep clinics in NZ. Go figure huh.

Despite the fact that researchers know that sleep is an important necessity, the reason that this is true is not so clear. For example, although death can result from sleep deprivation as described above, the actual physiological mechanism is largely unknown. It would seem logical to most of us that sleep would play a role in rest and restoration of our body. However, the evidence from sleep deprivation studies with humans doesn't support this logical assumption. For example, it does not appear, surprisingly, that a lack of sleep significantly interferes with one's ability to exercise. Further, the typical physiological correlates of the "stress response" do not occur when a human is deprived of sleep. On the other hand, evidence is beginning to accumulate that indicates that the function of sleep is not to restore the "body", but rather to rest and restore the "brain". First, this is supported by behavioral evidence from sleep deprivation studies. While subjects may be able to exercise effectively, and while they may not exhibit a stress response, their

cognitive function is impaired

Before you all go get your jimmies in a rustle increases in GH, testosterone etc don't necessarily mean increased growth. There are associations between testosterone/GH levels and muscularity, body comp etc but that doesn't necessarily mean that anytime where these hormones are elevated, you are growing/repairing or whatever I think GH is only released during sleep because you are fasting also. Fasting is the most potent stimulator of GH secretion.

As a disclaimer, this is just what I've been told from a professor who conducts research in this area and treats people with sleep disorders, not necessarily my own beliefs. I'm a person who definitely needs their 8 hours to function properly let alone go to the gym!

Interesting Read Riccardo

Tonight i did deadlifts and hams

worked up to 220x2 on deadlifts.... this is my max at the moment. the second rep was hard work and took a while to lock out..... got 200x3 just over a week over so decent improvement still.

plus hamstring stuff , leg press, leg curls, good mornings. Going to add in hyperextensions next week.

Notes: Have been training the last week just havent been bothered logging it. Adding more good fats into my diet and cutting back on carbs a bit. Tomorrow i will be starting Var at 40mg a day and creatine at 20mg a day.... hopefully the var is legit it did come in a pretty package so that means it must be real right ! will soon see...

Interesting Read Riccardo

Tonight i did deadlifts and hams

worked up to 220x2 on deadlifts.... this is my max at the moment. the second rep was hard work and took a while to lock out..... got 200x3 just over a week over so decent improvement still.

plus hamstring stuff , leg press, leg curls, good mornings. Going to add in hyperextensions next week.

Notes: Have been training the last week just havent been bothered logging it. Adding more good fats into my diet and cutting back on carbs a bit. Tomorrow i will be starting Var at 40mg a day and creatine at 20mg a day.... hopefully the var is legit it did come in a pretty package so that means it must be real right ! will soon see...

Muscletech comes in pretty packaging.... :D

Going to stop being a slacker and start logging this again

Yesterday did quads

bb squats

160 - stayed here and did 5 sets

leg press

6 sets of 20 reps. lot of rest pause.

leg ext

5 sets 20 reps same again

2 sets of standing lunges with a small barbell. till failure on both sets so kept going till i fell over

Notes: bb squats felt terrible today so went higher reps on everything else, legs feel blown up and sore today so might keep at that for a few weeks.

Today arms

cg bench

skullcrushers incline

3 sets

seated dips

3 sets

hammer incline curls

3 sets

preacher curls

standing bb + w + c grip

Notes: I want bigger arms :( They look big when im wearing a t-shirt but when im wearing a long sleeve they look tiny.

Notes:

Looking more vascular in particular arms, quads now got veins running across them im guessing thats from the var ... no strength gains of yet :x

Looked a shitload browner in the mirrors at gym tonight so might lay off the melanotan a bit and just pin 5 units every 2 days and see how i go.