Can you touch your shoulder?

Pseudonym

I had trouble with my left arm reaching to my right shoulder

Ah, hang on. We're talking about different things then. The question is, can your LEFT arm touch your LEFT shoulder?

Also just read this and yes, I can easily grab my left rear delt with my right arm, that is fine, it's the left to left and right to right that is difficult.

My girlfriend just laughed at me when I tried...

#Hardknocklife

:pfft:

Can touch my shoulder, but not after an arm workout.

Can't touch my hands behind my back with on over my shoulder and the other below my shoulder though (as in picture) have poor shoulder flexibility despite stretching regularly.

Can anyone else or do you have to be extremely flexible to do this?

post-8325-14166824475103_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Yeah, just fingertips, Holdenman. Mine stop about 4 inches from my shoulder.

I'm actually hoping the answer is NOT that my biceps are just too massive at their whopping 16.5". At least if it's inflexibility, I can stretch. The only cure for "too big" is to get smaller, and that's not an option!

I did a scuba course over the weekend, and discovered how limited my range of motion is. I couldn't touch my shoulder, and it took me 4 days of assisted PNF stretching to be able to reach far enough behind my head for the

. (Although PNF stretching is amazing - I reckon it added 4-5 inches to my range of motion in as many days!)

Bi's must get bigger then just make them traps and delts HUOOOOOOOOOOGGGGE so you can touch them no matter what!

It's handy that this thread got bumped - I'm doing an Oly lifting course (starts next week), and this exact issue is becoming a PITA.

Specifically, I can't get left-fingers-to-left-delts et cetera - which means I can't rack the bar on chest for the clean and jerk, but have to take the whole weight straight onto arms. Fine, til it gets heavy, then control out of the bottom of the squat becomes a major issue.

So - I had assumed that it was either skeletal (things like bone angles at elbow, biceps-to-forearm lengths, that sort of thing) or tight triceps. But the word is that it's most likely to be tight shoulders that are the issue.

Is this correct - and if so, which muscles in particular should I be stretching/ rolling ?

It's handy that this thread got bumped - I'm doing an Oly lifting course (starts next week), and this exact issue is becoming a PITA.

Specifically, I can't get left-fingers-to-left-delts et cetera - which means I can't rack the bar on chest for the clean and jerk, but have to take the whole weight straight onto arms. Fine, til it gets heavy, then control out of the bottom of the squat becomes a major issue.

So - I had assumed that it was either skeletal (things like bone angles at elbow, biceps-to-forearm lengths, that sort of thing) or tight triceps. But the word is that it's most likely to be tight shoulders that are the issue.

Is this correct - and if so, which muscles in particular should I be stretching/ rolling ?

was just reading this again, my flexibility has gotten heaps better since the time this thread was started. since then i've been doing shoulder dislocations twice a week as well as regular ulnar nerve stretching (only do it after having warmed up adequately though or you can do some damage!). hope that helps

Can touch my shoulder, but not after an arm workout.

Can't touch my hands behind my back with on over my shoulder and the other below my shoulder though (as in picture) have poor shoulder flexibility despite stretching regularly.

Can anyone else or do you have to be extremely flexible to do this?

I used to be able to do this both sides and clasp my hands together. But now my lats get in the way (or so I tell myself) and my fingertips are at least a few inches apart

was just reading this again, my flexibility has gotten heaps better since the time this thread was started. since then i've been doing shoulder dislocations twice a week as well as regular ulnar nerve stretching (only do it after having warmed up adequately though or you can do some damage!). hope that helps

Sure it will help - dislocations were on my stretching for bench anyway, thanks to some advice from Steak and Barbelle, so I can add them in to my (now much more regular) mobility work :)

Cheers

• 3 months later...