Can you touch your shoulder?

Pseudonym

Yeah, just fingertips, Holdenman. Mine stop about 4 inches from my shoulder.

I'm actually hoping the answer is NOT that my biceps are just too massive at their whopping 16.5". At least if it's inflexibility, I can stretch. The only cure for "too big" is to get smaller, and that's not an option!

I did a scuba course over the weekend, and discovered how limited my range of motion is. I couldn't touch my shoulder, and it took me 4 days of assisted PNF stretching to be able to reach far enough behind my head for the

. (Although PNF stretching is amazing - I reckon it added 4-5 inches to my range of motion in as many days!)

Can only just brush my shoulders with fingertips, and I'm sure it's not to do with my massive bulging biceps getting in the way :lol::lol::lol:

Pseudo, I started diving earlier this year (up to rescue diver now, bring on DM) but I don't remember having to reach behind my head for drills. Biggest problem I found was getting a suit that would fit properly :lol:

Edit: Ok, just watched your linked video. Nice setup, I've only dived with a single tank, which explains why I had no friggin idea what you were talking about lol. Incidentally, that's some pretty sweet bouyancy control she has there :clap:

what angle do get between the forearm and upper arm? furthermost mine come in is at 45 degrees and don't budge further, definitely not the tiny biceps (as there's tonnes of room between bicep peak and forearm)... forearms are ridiculously long though so even at this position my finger tips can touch the spinal cord

what is the advantage of being able to do this?

what is the advantage of being able to do this?

What? Unilateral shoulder-scratching isn't enough for you? :P

Basically I want to loosen up my whole upper body - touching the shoulder is just one aspect of that. But I wasn't sure whether the limiting factor is flexibility or something else. In some ways, it doesn't feel like a tight muscle - like you say, it goes to about 45 degrees then just stops with no obvious cause. Very odd.

Ronin - nice! That's with PADI, I assume? I only went to Advanced Open Water with them, then I switched to GUE for this course. Buoyancy control is just the start of it! I can't recommend it highly enough. Let me know if you want to hear more and I'll happily open a topic discussing the many virtues of GUE. It is SO much better than PADI. :grin:

Hell I'd never even heard of GUE...I was under the impression that PADI was the be-all & end-all of diving. Obviously this bears further investigation. For someone looking to eventually work in diving, does GUE offer the same opportunities? As it seems (from what I've seen thus far) that all dive centres etc are PADI-centric.

I can grab a good chunk of shoulder with my finger tips :lol:

It's probably a combination of inflexibility and leverages, you might have long forearms? Ever do front squats with the clean grip? I'd imagine if you work on developing the clean grip it should help build some more flexibility through the triceps, shoulders and upper back.

I can touch, but the biceps fight back. At the gym I can't touch them once I am pumped. The usual for everyone.

I was always flexible though, and could easily hold fingers when putting one arm over the top of my back, and one arm under, and connecting behind. They only just touch tips now. I think it is the muscle though that is stopping it.

i used to be able to kick high etc, so was just lucky with my joints.

The top of my hand is almost at a right angle when touching shoulder, and this helps give the fingers 'reach'. Where are yours, pseudonym?

Interesting. It seems like enough of you can reach that bicep size isn't the determining factor. That's a relief!

I can almost get my palm onto my delt, heh.

Well, give yourself a pat on the back. :P

Thank you. I'm here all week.

Phedder, I haven't front squatted in ages, and I never liked the clean grip when I did try it. Hmm. That's probably a good indication I should work it!

Severe, are you talking about wrist flexibility? I need to work on that too - I get to about 50-60 degrees rather than 90. That'll certainly get me closer, but I'm not sure it will be enough. Guess we'll find out.

I'm along way off also. Inflexibility I agree with some muscle. I get grief from the physio about this. I describe myself as being 'functionally flexible.' I can't touch my toes but I can squat below parallel with a reasonable amount of weight.

i bet you could touch your toes too if i dropped a "reasonable amout of weight" onto ur back when you are leaning forward.

wtf, I can reach round and grab my rear delt

you ALL need to do regular rotator cuff work by the sound of it

I would have though it was more a case of Tricep flexibility ?

Possibly, though a while back I had trouble with my left arm reaching to my right shoulder so started doing rotator cuff exercies twice a week, and when testing after reading this thread I had no problem at all