HydroxyBurn LoCarb Bar

nate225

I read Pseudo's advice on how to write a proper review for supplements http://www.nzbodybuilding.co.nz/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=247 but I reckon a picture states a thousand words.....so here's the review:

file.php?mode=view&id=12900&sid=fc35beaef101de66c54db060f12df9a2

Yeah they taste fucken sensational.... hence I ate 12 of the Banana Chocolate ones in less than 24 hours! (Was running at 9 in 9 hours at one stage! :pfft: ).

Being a bit more helpful here's the nutritional breakdown:

HydroxyBurn-Lo-Carb-Banana-Choc-N-P.jpg

Honestly I don't think its wise to have too many of these around when you're as close to a show as I am, but off season & early days dieting I'm gonna smash a few hundred of these puppies! Pretty similar macro's to a good protein shake tho as you'd expect a little higher in fat.

Got Nate's seal of approval.....not sure about Tom's...LOLOLOL :pfft: :grin:

post-2696-14166824470624_thumb.jpg

too expensive for what it is...brb spending $100+ on food per day to meet protein needs..soy/wheat protein isolate? no thx

I'm spending $150-170 a week on food, and these bars won't last my more than a week so yeah to expensive. Will just have to keep having my vanilla WPI scrambled eggs which taste awesome anywho, but would be nice to have an alternative to make dieting a bit more enjoyable :evil:

Honestly I don't think its wise to have too many of these around when you're as close to a show as I am, but off season & early days dieting I'm gonna smash a few hundred of these puppies! Pretty similar macro's to a good protein shake tho as you'd expect a little higher in fat.

Haha, you had 12 of these in one day? Man, I hope you noticed the 56 mystery "unaccounted for" calories in each bar - so 672 cals if you had 12 of them. The listed carbs, protein and fat only adds up to 122.15 calories but they contain 179 cals.

Pity NZ and Aussie have random labeling requirements that allow fibre and sugar alcohols to be listed separately to carbs - makes low carb bars look lower carb than they actually are, yet they still contain loads of mystery calories.

These bad boys have 14grams carbs in them if you account for the polydextrose and maltitol. Fortunately due to their laxative effect/lack of digestability, both of those contain less cals than traditional carbs and should also have slightly less effect on raising blood sugar so might be alright if you're on a keto or low carb diet (though maltitiol still has a GI of 52 which isn't particularly low).

I can't actually figure out how they get 179cals from what it provides even with adding the maltitol (around 2 to 3 cals per gram) and polydextrose (1 cal per gram) into the count so there must be an error on the label with some of the amounts or the cal count should be lower.

With only 17g protein yet 179 cals these can't be compared to having similar macros to a good (whey) protein shake which would contain less than half the amount of calories at around 85 cals if providing 17g protein, and most good whey protein powders don't have to fortify their protein blend with WHEAT protein isolate which is really just there to give it some texture yet included in the protein blend.

Protein bars are fine as a treat on a low carb or cal restricted diet, or something to eat if you're short on time instead of eating a pie or bag of chips, however a lot of them make compromises as far as the quality of protein used, or the fat, sugar and/or calorie content is excessive in proportion to the amount of protein they provide.

Be an interesting thread on its on Flex!

I noticed the same thing on sugar free, fat free, gluten free marshmallows! Gotta be careful as fat free (but sugar loaded) ones look very similar. Anyway the calories didn't stack up - found something on another "sugarfree" brand from Aussie. Loaded with mannitol. Some of these calories wouldn't be absorbed obviously - probably a lot in my case - I ate the whole packet (common theme here! :pfft: :grin: ) and turned my bowels to liquid!!! :shock: :oops: These puppies give Xenical & a scoop of chips a run for their money!! :pfft:

Start the "hidden calories" thread bro? Be quite a topic.

Haha, you had 12 of these in one day? Man, I hope you noticed the 56 mystery "unaccounted for" calories in each bar - so 672 cals if you had 12 of them. The listed carbs, protein and fat only adds up to 122.15 calories but they contain 179 cals.

Pity NZ and Aussie have random labeling requirements that allow fibre and sugar alcohols to be listed separately to carbs - makes low carb bars look lower carb than they actually are, yet they still contain loads of mystery calories.

These bad boys have 14grams carbs in them if you account for the polydextrose and maltitol. Fortunately due to their laxative effect/lack of digestability, both of those contain less cals than traditional carbs and should also have slightly less effect on raising blood sugar so might be alright if you're on a keto or low carb diet (though maltitiol still has a GI of 52 which isn't particularly low).

I can't actually figure out how they get 179cals from what it provides even with adding the maltitol (around 2 to 3 cals per gram) and polydextrose (1 cal per gram) into the count so there must be an error on the label with some of the amounts or the cal count should be lower.

With only 17g protein yet 179 cals these can't be compared to having similar macros to a good (whey) protein shake which would contain less than half the amount of calories at around 85 cals if providing 17g protein, and most good whey protein powders don't have to fortify their protein blend with WHEAT protein isolate which is really just there to give it some texture yet included in the protein blend.

Protein bars are fine as a treat on a low carb or cal restricted diet, or something to eat if you're short on time instead of eating a pie or bag of chips, however a lot of them make compromises as far as the quality of protein used, or the fat, sugar and/or calorie content is excessive in proportion to the amount of protein they provide.

Hi Flex,

thanks for your input into labelling details, I have submitted your thoughts to the BSc Human Performance manager in Aus for clarification and will submit the answer on this forum as soon as it comes to hand.

What debate, more like a debunk of your opinion. You never answered my last question either Tom.

My reply will be as per recieved from Aus, this isn't the first time Andrew has asked questions of BSc formulas to me and as before he will get the honest reply.

I don't claim to know the answer to everything but am happy to source it for anyone who asks.

To those wondering, I am the exclusive NZ distributor of BSc nutrition and a BSc sponsored athlete. No Nate is not sponsored, yes he did purchase his BSc products and was not supplied or reimbursed in any capacity for his review.

So as not to sound advertorial this is where I'll end my comments on the subject until I have the answers requested from Aus.

Hi Flex,

thanks for your input into labelling details, I have submitted your thoughts to the BSc Human Performance manager in Aus for clarification and will submit the answer on this forum as soon as it comes to hand.

Cheers mike, be good to hear back, a lot of low carb bars seem to have the mystery calories in them so not wanting to beat up on your stuff, it's just something that drives me up the wall when I see people talking about low carb bars so thought I'd point out a few issues with them. The horleys carbless bars are pretty bad for the amount of carbs they don't show on the label. And Balance Muscle2go bars are a bit of a shocker - they list 10.4 grams carbs but also have 8.8g maltitol, 8.7g polydextrose (plus 8.3g fibre but that is most likely the polydextrose), so they end up with 64cals more than their PCF macros add up to, which is close to 30% more calories.

I'd be pretty pissed if I was on a tight diet counting my PCF's and ended up eating 30% more cals than I thought I was each day.