Venom protein - consumer information

arthuritus

Hi all,

I bought some venom protein recently.

It was very cheap and it has no batch number or best before / use by date anywhere on the packaging. What's more, when I emailed them to ask about the use-by date I also asked where it was made.

The response: That it is company policy to not reveal supplier or manufacturer information.

Several things here;

1) What kind of policy is that?? I mean for sure, if I was using Chinese milk that had been fortified with melamine I would not want my customers to know about it. If I was using any kind of reputable source, why the need for such a policy? Just on principles this is a bizzare policy that makes me very worried about the white powder in my cupboard.

2) No dates of any kind. I had the impression it was a legal requirement to make your product traceable (batch date / number) and to have a use-by date. I could be wrong here, I would love to hear from someone more qualified than myself.

3) The nutrition list doesn't add up to 100%. Its not even close. The packaging is stashed away but from memory it was about 5 grams off. That is to say, the amount of protein + fat + carbs etc per 100 grams added to about 95 grams, leaving 5 grams of...... other? Is this normal? What is the remainder made up of? Water seems like a benign possibility but you'd think it would be in their interest (higher protein %) and easy enough to dehydrate the powder before testing.

4) Regarding supplier and manufacturing information, this government page states that contact details must be given on request "so that [consumers] can ask about the food".

http://m.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/news-1 ... ok-out-for

Perhaps supplements are treated differently to food.

5) Further emails to the company have been ignored.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this everybody. In the meantime I have a few kg of protein powder just chilling out in my cupboard. Good thing it doesn't expire right?

Thanks

I have a feeling that a dietary supplement is not covered under food safety law in new zealand. Also if venom are sourcing from anywhere outside of new zealand they do not have to provide any details of the manufacturer:

Does the label have to say the country of origin?

Country of origin labelling is voluntary in New Zealand and suppliers (usually manufacturers, transporters or sellers) may choose not to display these details. But they must have contact details for distributors or manufacturers in New Zealand, so you can ask about the food.

Also i can see where they are coming from in one sense that revealing a source could give a compeditor an advantage if they were able to find out exactly what was in your product or start soucing it from the same supplier as you. You would no longer have a unique product.

But the whole thing does sound a bit odd with the use by date and their attitude when dealing with their customers looks a bit shit. I would probably not ever buy venom after reading this

Definitely not interested in Vemon protein now.

Maybe the cheapest option isn't always the best?

If you haven't opening the product I would sent it back for a refund the obviously don't respect you custom so move on to another supplier and spread the word like fire. Companies not willing to respect a customer with reasonable questions should suffer.

At the end of the day the customer is right and if they are not willing to play ball there is plenty of competition out their.

I had the same thoughts when I started using Venom's WPC - the numbers look totally made up. The total won't add up to 100 as was pointed out earlier but it looked a little too low to me.

I emailed them to clarify -not a word.

The site specifically states that the WPC and WPI is made in NZ and gives a use by date but I'd like some feedback as to how they calculate the nutrient breakdown. I'm using the WPI at the moment but I reckon I'll look elsewhere for my next bag.

I had the same thoughts when I started using Venom's WPC - the numbers look totally made up. The total won't add up to 100 as was pointed out earlier but it looked a little too low to me.

I emailed them to clarify -not a word.

The site specifically states that the WPC and WPI is made in NZ and gives a use by date but I'd like some feedback as to how they calculate the nutrient breakdown. I'm using the WPI at the moment but I reckon I'll look elsewhere for my next bag.

may as well check out nutritional info labels for all your other products while you're at it, haven't come across something yet where c+p+f=100

still bad that they didn't even respond to your enquiry. service from experiences in this thread doesn't sound very quality

It brings back the age old saying 'cheapest isn't always best' and for those who try to find the cheapest protein around, i would be very careful of what you buy. Rather be safe than sorry imo.

Funny thing though, just went to their website and everything is out of stock except the mass gainer and maltodextrin product.

may as well check out nutritional info labels for all your other products while you're at it, haven't come across something yet where c+p+f=100

still bad that they didn't even respond to your enquiry. service from experiences in this thread doesn't sound very quality

I hear ya mate. As I said I didn't expect it to add up to 100% but 81.4 + 5.4 + 5.6 leaves nearly 8% of ash and moisture, which seemed a little high. On reflection, I've got a tub of Balance WPC/WPI mix here and that's about the same percentages, so maybe the Venom stuff is spot on. It would have been nice to get a simple reply from them though...

Funny thing though, just went to their website and everything is out of stock except the mass gainer and maltodextrin product.

That's really strange. I could swear that all that stuff was in stock earlier today :shock:

im a repeat customer of venom. i can't really flaw them on much>cheap tastes fine (i get plain wpc).however if they're selling me saw dust then yeah i'll change but till some proves it's more economical to buy another brand I keep using them.

Ditto man, ive been buying their WPI for 5 months now with no dramas. Found them to be helpful when i emailed them, and delivery is fast.

Would be good to have used by dates though, and clarification on content. Its random how they are out of stock again. This was the case 3 weeks ago also. I emailed them then asking why they were out of stock and i got a reply stating they were waiting on containers to arrive.

Will keep purchasing until they are proven to be supplying dodgy stuff, or a cheaper alt comes up on the market.

Interesting reading guys thanks for the response.

I have to say I can't fault their protein only on the basis that my white powder tastes good and mixes pretty easily. Whether it actually has as much protein as it says I don't know and I'm even more concerned about what extra stuff it might have in it, especially if its coming from China. Mmm, Melamine-Malt anyone?

No batch number or use by date isn't a good look.

I believe this is required by law ay?

I've always thought that too. All the supplements like vitamin c and other protein powder in my cupboard have dates etc which supports that theory.

The site specifically states that the WPC and WPI is made in NZ and gives a use by date

I might be looking at the wrong thing but the NZ branding on their website just says they are NZ Owned & Operated. I definitely don't have a use-by (idiot-checked by 3 others) although my friend got one on his bag.

Will keep purchasing until they are proven to be supplying dodgy stuff, or a cheaper alt comes up on the market.

The supplements market is notorious for lack of independent testing. How long was jack3d around for before they proved it was bad for you? I gather the general idea is to wait for people to start getting sick, then send the white coats in and then get the lawyers in a couple of years later.

I think I might work on the basis that the human body is wonderful at coping with bad things in small quantities. What that translates to is that I just have to eat less than the next guy and quickly stop eating it if he gets sick. Keep us informed Section ; )

But then I come back to not having a use-by date; how long can I eke out the remaining 3kg or so? Maybe if I just go halvsies in each shake with a reputable brand that might be a reasonable compromise.

Still waiting to hear from venom!!