TFB - to Nationals and Beyond!

teamfatboy

14 minutes ago, Bigken1985 said:

Hey Geoff. Just realized who you were. Seems I'm the only one that used my real name on here lol. Good luck for Centrals. Keep it going 

Unsure if its the case here but I think lots of people like the (varying) degree of anonymity provided by not using their real name as their username on here.

7 minutes ago, PETN said:

Unsure if its the case here but I think lots of people like the (varying) degree of anonymity provided by not using their real name as their username on here.

I guess. But it does make it hard sometimes to know who is who in the real world etc. Did not realise it was a secret society on here lol

• 2 weeks later...

Comp report - 2016 Central Districts Regional Champs

felt good rolling into this one, but I think a cup of the buzziest coffee set my nerves racing, so I was a bit cautious.

Squats

1st - 200kg (down from 205) popped up after some nerves. WWW

2nd - 207.5 kg - bit of a grind thru the midpoint but up OK. WWW

3rd - 215kg.  Probably my best squat of the day, sneaky 2.5kg PB. WWW 

Bench

1st - 105kg. Nice and conservative.  WWW

2nd - 117.5kg - Popped up sweetly. WWW

3rd - 125kg - also popped up, no sticking thru the transition. WWW and 5kg all-time PB

Deadlift

1st - 210. WWW

2nd - 220. WWW

3rd - 230. WWW - unremarkable, a wee bit shy of my PB of 235, but enough to lock in a total of 570, well over the 497.5kg qualifying total required for Oceania champs 

Great day, considering the unusual pre-comp nerves.  Made a note to wait until after squats to have more coffee!  First outing in heels, felt good, and use of wrist wraps probably helped with bench.  

Big crowd at the comp - spread over two days..some epic lifts, including a 215kg raw deadlift by Tasha Williams, and Ethan Foot having two cracks at a 350kg equipped deadlift which would have given him a 900kg total.  

On 10/04/2016 at 8:08 PM, Bigken1985 said:

I guess. But it does make it hard sometimes to know who is who in the real world etc. Did not realise it was a secret society on here lol

I think it's also that some of our members have been here for years - TFB joined in 2007 - and back then everyone used an anonymous name when they went on the interweb. It's just what you did. But I think now as social media becomes more and more a part of our lives, people are slowly caring less about anonymity.

• 6 months later...

Saturday 19th November - Powerhouse

The Powerhouse Open BBro

Squats
205 kg - RWR - depth
210 kg - RWW - depth
215 kg - WWW

Bench
110 kg - WWW
120 kg - WWW
127.5 kg - WWW - 2.5 kg PB all-time, missed that at Nats

Deadlift
225 kg - WWW
240 kg - WWW, 2kg PB and unofficial NZ Record
250 kg - RRR grip failed me at the very top, about a half-second after the down command. Grrr
Total - 582.5 kg, up 4.5 kg from Nationals.

Squat depth was down, inexplicably, to depth - it was "just above" but each successive squat got better and better.  Jumps were conservative - 5kgs rather than 10kg, but that's OK, I know the big jumps are there if I need them.

Bench worked a treat - something left for the Asia-Oceania champs, perhaps.

Deadlift - warm-ups felt OK, 225 was good to get a feel for the platform and pick a sighting point. 240 was good - nice to get a competition rep at that weight. I initially nominated 247.5 for third, but decided to change up. 250kg came off the floor quickly enough, got it to (admittedly a faintly soft) lock-out, got the down call and left hand gave out so I was red-lighted on 'failure to maintain control'.  Something I can work on, for sure.

18 hours ago, Realtalk said:

Good result overall bro! You must be happy with yourself.

Why was the deadlift record not official?

any videos of your lifts?

Cheers RT- it was a good day. 

Under NZPF rules, NZ records can only be set at Nationals or North/ South Island Champs, or at international comps, so that's why it wasn't official.

I think OB may have saved the live-stream, but otherwise nope...which when I think about it is a good thing, given the state of my first two squats :-o

• 5 months later...

23 April 2017 - the 2017 CDPA Champs Report (my 6th consecutive CDs):

Pretty good day under the bar...couple of learnings still to do, but that's how we roll.

Squats: 210 WWW, 220 RWW 227.5 WWR equal all-time PB
Bench: 115 WWW, 125 WWW, 130 RRR equal all-time PB
Deads: 225 WWW, 240 WWW, 247.5 WWW

Picked up the elusive 600kg total - not bad for an old fella. 

Squats were OK, not sure why I corkscrewed the 220, probably wasn't making sure both glutes were firing 1f641.png:( and then swapped sides for the third) but it went up. Equalled my third at Oceanias - which is good for my (rarely seen) consistency 1f642.png:)

Bench - maybe the first-second jump was a bit big, it was a grind, and the third stalled at about 1/3 ROM. Nonetheless, I was happy to take the 125 1f642.png:)

Deadlift - all went up OK. 250 might have been there, but I had my eye on the symbolic 600kg total, and locking in qualifying for the year ahead.

Looking ahead - will be wanting to clean up my technique, so that it doesn't turn to custard under fatigue, and pick up my deadlift game (heheheh) a wee bit.

chalked-up, and going every time - she was looking after lifters most of the day, working hard for us 1f642.png:)

It was another fantastic weekend at the House, thanks to the refs Paul McM, PT Jr, Vee, Matt and Robert who put in long days - Robert did both, Vee refereed the day after competing!. The Spotter loader crew really worked hard, and made a lot of great savesl.

• 6 months later...

Last comp of the year - 2017 Powerhouse Open  1f642.png🙂

Dunno why I didn't report on the 2017 Nationals... 

My first equipped comp after six years of classic.

Build-up was decidedly sub-par - work commitments meant that for four of the past six weeks, heavy day Saturday was about all I did... but. Warm-ups went well, so I committed to the plan....

Squats (loose 48 Centurion squat suit):
230kg Good lift two-to-one
240kg Good lift three white lights
250kg Good lift two-to-one - a hip misalignment meant my left side was higher, but it's close!

Bench (loose 54 Fury bench shirt):
130kg Good lift three whites
140kg Good lift three whites - bar-path got squirrely on the descent but it popped straight up.
150kg Good lift three whites

Deadlift (done classic)
200kg Good lift three whites
230kg Good lift three whites
250kg No lift - stalled at knee height. 240kg might have been a safer option but today wasn't about safe...

The squats felt good - walking out with 250kg up, I didn't get the "OMG this is heavy" feeling, and it popped up nice.

Likewise the bench - as a mate said, 150kg has to be my new opener. 

Deadlift - I am struggling technique-wise with swapping to Sumo, but when OB pointed out that the point of sumo was the suit, and conventional would be OK, I took the hint (eventually). 230kg was good, first time in my hands since Nationals. The 250kg stalled probably because of the bigger increments in lifts, extra fatigue from the equipped work... but it moved off the floor which is more than I expected.

Total:
250kg squat        (vs 227.5kg raw PB)
150kg bench       (vs 132.5kg raw PB)
230kg deadlift    (vs 250kg PB back at Oceanias last Dec).
630kg total          (vs 587.5kg classic PB at Nationals, 600kg at CD champs in April).

So, I was getting about 10% out of loose equipment after only 3 months to convert.  Guess I'd better get some tight stuff! Bring on 2018. 

Good numbers, TFB!

On 24/11/2017 at 7:21 PM, teamfatboy said:

OB pointed out that the point of sumo was the suit

So do you get more out of the suit by lifting sumo? Interesting. Not that it applies to me, never having lifted equipped (and being somewhat slack on the deadlift front overall), but I just find sumo works better for my limb lengths and/or inflexibilities.

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 3:15 PM, Pseudonym said:

Good numbers, TFB!

So do you get more out of the suit by lifting sumo? Interesting. Not that it applies to me, never having lifted equipped (and being somewhat slack on the deadlift front overall), but I just find sumo works better for my limb lengths and/or inflexibilities.

Chur, Pseu!  it was good fun!

I think that yes, in my specific case, the intent of the build-up had been to make the most of the suit, which was a squat suit, not a purpose-designed deadlift suit.  Shifting the emphasis back to glutes/ hamstrings (which I could feel sumo doing, even classic) from quads.  

But, I may be wrong :) 

i think if you look at the mechanics of a sumo DL vs a conventional DL, it logically would get more from a suit. Tension from the suit lends itself well to the movement you would go through in a sumo dl, but conventional is more of a hinge that the suit can't do a heap for. thats my basic understanding anyway

think squatting the weight up (sumo) vs crane levering it up (conventional)

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 3:20 PM, maccaz said:

i think if you look at the mechanics of a sumo DL vs a conventional DL, it logically would get more from a suit. Tension from the suit lends itself well to the movement you would go through in a sumo dl, but conventional is more of a hinge that the suit can't do a heap for. thats my basic understanding anyway

think squatting the weight up (sumo) vs crane levering it up (conventional)

Nice way of putting it... cheers Maccaz!

• 4 months later...

20 April 2018 - Central Districts Powerlifting Association Regional Champs - Hastings Fitness Centre, Hastings (obvs!)

My seventh regional champs, second-ever  equipped comp 

Build-up was decidedly sub-par - work pressure was a contributing factor, so I took a low-key approach. 

Squats (new 50 Centurion squat suit):
230kg     No lift - depth.  Just not enough weight on the suit. 

240kg     Good lift lift three white lights
252.5kg Good lift two-to-one and a sneaky 2.5kg PB

Bench (loose 54 Fury bench shirt):
130kg     Good lift three whites
142.5kg Good lift three whites - struggled a wee bit at lock-out but got the lights

150kg     No lift- stalled at the chest-to-triceps transition. 

***drinks large can of high-octane Monster***

Deadlift (done classic)
200kg Good lift three whites
217.5kg Good lift three whites
227.5kg Good lift. 

622.5kg total - good enough to qualify me for all but Commonwealth or World Champs. 

Overall, an OK day.  I started lifting at around 1430, having arrived at the venue at 0640 to referee/ MC/ officiate in the morning session as/ where needed.   Nutrition/ hydration/ caffeine were off as a consequence, but that's all on me:  I could have managed it better.  Head wasn't in the game for squats, just didn't attack enough (and I'm sure I'm going to hear that later!) - only after the 252.5kg did I really feel that 255 or even 260kg would have been there.

Bench was another story - didn't ever really get the shirt working, and the 150 should have been an easy second.  Fixed some of my more egregious bad habits, but couldn't get the power off the chest I really needed.  Something to work on (and who of us doesn't have that!). 

Deadlifts- here I'd been struggling during training.  I had never really managed to get any meaningful benefit from using a squat suit in deadlift.  On the day, I had two options:  try to get anything I could from the suit, or revert to classic and lock in the total.  I took the second option, although it meant deadlifting conventionally, rather than Sumo I'd trained for the past six months.  Attempts were down, the 200 was a gym rep, just grip-and-rip, but the second and third got better as the day went on (and the Monster kicked in!).  Undoubtedly, if my head had been in the right place I'd have opened at 227.5kg and gone up, but these decisions are always far clearer with hindsight.  

Fortunately, equipped national champs are a ways away (late October, Christchurch), so I can fix the many shortcomings and deliver something better :)

• 5 months later...

October 20, 2018 - NZPF Equipped Nationals - held at Unbreakable Training Centre in Christchurch: 

BW 136, M2/ 120+

Squat:     250/ 265/  272.5kg (600 lbs) - 20kg PB!
Bench:    150/ 157.5kg / missed 162.5 but still a 5kg PB
Deadlift: 200/ 225/ 240kg - done classic, haven’t mastered equipped deadlifting in a suit yet.
Total:       670kg - 47.5kg PB

Happy with that, went 8/9, missed 162.5kg bench cos I let the bar drift.

Awesome day with the Central Districts Green Machine!  

Other observations:

• There were only 8 lifters - three women, five men.  
  • Only two provinces - Auckland and Central Districts, no lifters from Northland, Waikato, Canterbury or Southern
  • There were only three Open lifters, and five Masters lifters - no juniors at all. 

Not sure why it was so small - are people scared of equipped lifting, was it the timing (or is a long weekend better for comps?). Ah well, their loss :) 

• 5 months later...

April 13th, 2019 - Central Districts Powerlifting Association Regional Championships

BW 137.6, M2/ 120+ Equipped

Squat:     260/ 275/  285kg  - 12.5kg PB!  50 Centurion and Signature Gold knee wraps.  This was a WPNZ equipped record for the 55-59yo, 50-54yo AND 45-49yo age-groups in the SHW category. 

Bench:    Missed 150/ Got 150 / missed 156kg.   52 Fury - still in a beginner's shirt.  Not happy at going 1/4, missed opener because refs had a view on whether my elbows were locked that different from mine but still a 5kg PB

Deadlift: 225/ 240/ missed 256kg - still done classic - but happy to have moved the 256 to midway, after never having had it in my hand before. The 240kg was a WPNZ equipped record for the 55-59, 50-54 and 45-49yo age groups.

Total:       675kg - 5kg PB and a new WPNZ equipped M4 (50-59yo) record total.